Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No idea what to send?

1. Senior Member

No idea what to send?

Advertisements
    I want to send my DB his first care package. He has been there for a week and I think he is having a tough time adjusting and could use something to cheer him up. I asked him what he would want/need and he didn't really give an answer he was just like "oh nothing bad for me". On some of the other threads I've read to send jerky, candy, sports drinks (do those travel well? Because he is like addicted to Mtn dew), nuts. But I don't know what else. I don't want to send him useless crap he just has to cart around, but this is like one of the "fun" parts of deployment but its just stressing me out lol.
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I usually send books, food, shampoo, body wash, razors (apparenty they fly off the shelves as soon as they arrive there). My husband is not shy about asking for other stuff he needs lol. I usually get a big list from him. I know he wants an external hard drive filled with movies, so he's not stuck with a bunch of DVD cases. That could be an idea? But books is the main one. He gets so bored at times when nothings going on he begs me for more books.
    Good luck! I love putting together care packages! ^^
  3. Senior Member
    The books is a good idea. I was thinking of getting a couple of his fav recent magazines and sending those. I wanted to send him dvds but he didn't bring his alp top or DVD player so no way of using them . I was thinking of like magazines, a deck of playing cards, some jerky, some kind of baked good (haven't decided what yet), and if I can figure out how to ship mtn dew without it costing me an arm and a leg. I figure the cans would be so heavy.
  4. Regular Member
    Flat rate boxes!! You should get $2 off the large ones

I want all of them!!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzski722 View Post
    Flat rate boxes!! You should get $2 off the large ones
    Oh good to know! I Just found out he did bring his laptop . So I'm going to probs grab some dvds to throw in there.
  6. Senior Member
    DH isn't allowed (well it's strongly discouraged) to get anything non consumable. I send a lot of trail mix, jerky, five hour energy, cookies, stuff like that. Anything liquid make sure you put in ziplock bags in case it leaks. Ask about access to a microwave, refrigerator, and freezer. If he has those you can send otter pops, microwave popcorn, etc. We got a couple of magazine subscriptions and I send those, they get passed around a lot and the guys really like them. Ask about hygiene stuff before you send it. DH gets all of his stuff from the px or donated cps. I also sent a fan for his room, frogg togg towels and bandana (search for them on Amazon they're amazing and his favorite thing I've sent) and a sheet set and pillow. The sheets and pillow I sent right away and he loved it! Buy twin size (I got spiderman ) and suck up the pillow in a space bag.

Hope that helps!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    DH isn't allowed (well it's strongly discouraged) to get anything non consumable. I send a lot of trail mix, jerky, five hour energy, cookies, stuff like that. Anything liquid make sure you put in ziplock bags in case it leaks. Ask about access to a microwave, refrigerator, and freezer. If he has those you can send otter pops, microwave popcorn, etc. We got a couple of magazine subscriptions and I send those, they get passed around a lot and the guys really like them. Ask about hygiene stuff before you send it. DH gets all of his stuff from the px or donated cps. I also sent a fan for his room, frogg togg towels and bandana (search for them on Amazon they're amazing and his favorite thing I've sent) and a sheet set and pillow. The sheets and pillow I sent right away and he loved it! Buy twin size (I got spiderman ) and suck up the pillow in a space bag.

Hope that helps!
    That was very helpful. He just complained about his bed "sucking' so I think I may get him like a really comfy pillow to make up for it. I was going to grab some of his fav mags too. I also had the greatest idea when flipping through one of my favorite cook books. He told me not to send anything "too bad for him" I assume he means like food wise. So I decided to make homemade granola and send it ! And that won't go bad/melt in shipping.
  8. Senior Member
    Don't send soda. Anything carbonated could easily explode in the heat or due to mishandling. I'm not sure if it is allowed, but even if it is, it's a bad idea.

If you don't want to send food, you can send things like cards, small games, or other things to pass the time. magainzes and books are good as well.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member

Look on Pinterest, there are tons of deployment care package ideas.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Don't send soda. Anything carbonated could easily explode in the heat or due to mishandling. I'm not sure if it is allowed, but even if it is, it's a bad idea.

If you don't want to send food, you can send things like cards, small games, or other things to pass the time. magainzes and books are good as well.
    Oh thanks for telling me!!! I was thinking of sending mtn dew so now I won't. I'm sure he can get that over there anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast