Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Spacial Considerations?? - Care Packages for Sailors

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Blog Entries

Confused Spacial Considerations?? - Care Packages for Sailors

Advertisements
    My Sailor told me he really wants more care packages. ;p He also told me he has no space to put anything because he has his "coffin rack" and "a small box" for all of his belongings.

What kind of special thought do you give to what goes into a care package for a Navy Sailor?

What sort of things do you send your sailor that aren't food or candy??
  2. Senior Member
    Magazines, books, books of games, small little games (Uno style, so they don't take up much room).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I sent DB squirt guns and some silly toys. I got him some magazines and things too when he asked.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I sent a gajillion cards inside of my care packages-- I got cool Papyrus cards (probably 40 or so?), then wrote them for all different occasions (for when you feel unappreciated, for when you miss home, for when you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, for when you're worried that you're missing our daughter's firsts, for when you want to think and ponder new things, for when you need faith, etc.) and wrote the occasion as an "open when" on the outside of the envelope. That way, when he was struggling with something or just missed me, he could open a card and it was like he could talk to me right then, even if he couldn't get online. He said that they were his favorite thing that he got on deployment and he's keeping them for the next one now.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I sent a gajillion cards inside of my care packages-- I got cool Papyrus cards (probably 40 or so?), then wrote them for all different occasions (for when you feel unappreciated, for when you miss home, for when you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, for when you're worried that you're missing our daughter's firsts, for when you want to think and ponder new things, for when you need faith, etc.) and wrote the occasion as an "open when" on the outside of the envelope. That way, when he was struggling with something or just missed me, he could open a card and it was like he could talk to me right then, even if he couldn't get online. He said that they were his favorite thing that he got on deployment and he's keeping them for the next one now.
    that's a great idea

6. Senior Member
    I adore this idea. Amazing.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Blog Entries

I love that idea... the first care package I sent I made him "Girlfriend Trading cards", that he was prohibited to trade. (He asked for pictures of me, so I made them into cards with random things he might not know about me and then used box tape to "laminate" them.) But I've done that already, so want to do something new.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I do this but with letters instead. DH loves these especially because we rarely get communication on the sub when he's out and almost never can do mail drops or care packages.

I also send goofy things like stickers and Hot Wheels and little things (basically anything that I would buy for Wyatt, I buy for DH ). The younger guys thought it was awesome because whenever they got a check out or qualification from DH, he would leave them a sticker or something. Apparently the Winnie the Pooh skin tattoos were great for everyone, as well
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    that's a great idea
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I adore this idea. Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllegraAlyce View Post
    I love that idea... the first care package I sent I made him "Girlfriend Trading cards", that he was prohibited to trade. (He asked for pictures of me, so I made them into cards with random things he might not know about me and then used box tape to "laminate" them.) But I've done that already, so want to do something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    I do this but with letters instead. DH loves these especially because we rarely get communication on the sub when he's out and almost never can do mail drops or care packages.

I also send goofy things like stickers and Hot Wheels and little things (basically anything that I would buy for Wyatt, I buy for DH ). The younger guys thought it was awesome because whenever they got a check out or qualification from DH, he would leave them a sticker or something. Apparently the Winnie the Pooh skin tattoos were great for everyone, as well
    Oh sweet, I'm glad that other folks like it too lol DH thought that they were thoughtful, so I was happy.

I did a message in a bottle too, where I took sand, shells, and beach grass and a long letter (I think like 7 or 8 pages?), then took the letter to the beach (where I got the other stuff) and got it a little sea-sprayed and roughed up (but still readable), then rolled the letter up and secured it with some electrical tape (keeps it rolled so that it can easily come back out, but doesn't tear the paper coming off) and put the sand, shells, and grass in, then sealed it with a cork and decorated the outside. In retrospect, I wouldn't have decorated the outside and I would have used some colored twine and beach grass to tie around the long neck portion of the bottle. But that'll be for next time. DH loved his "message in a bottle", especially since he was at sea
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan