Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Box size??

1. Senior Member

Box size??

Advertisements
    So I have been using flat rate boxes to send things to DH who is in Afghanistan. I ran into someone at the post office who uses different boxes to send lighter things because she can fit more and send it for cheaper because it doesn't weigh much. I was planning on sending DH chips (a lot of bags but the box still ends up being fairly light). So my question is does anyone know if there is a certain size the box has to be to be shipped because the box I have is pretty big (much bigger than the flat rate boxes I have been using) or as long as I paying by weight can the box be any size?
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Any size as long as you're paying the weight...I think that's fine. I always used flat rate boxes, except for the one time I needed to send him something that wouldn't fit. I'm sure someone else will have a better answer, but at least this is a for ya
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. Senior Member
    If you are sending something light, it will be more cost efficient to send it regular priority mail than flat rate.

The Maximum size of your own packaging for Priority mail is 108" in length + girth, and 130" for regular post.
    https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm

Remember, you are only paying the postage to where the APO/whatever is. APOs are located in NY, so you are paying the postage to NY for that. If you live near NY, it can be more cost effective most of the time to send it regular priority rather than flat rate.

What dimensions is your box?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Senior Member
    My box is about 2 feet long 1 1/2 feet wide and a foot tall. I live in San Diego so no where near New York. Do you think it would still be cheaper to send my big box?
  5. Senior Member
    Ok so it's 84 inches in length+girth. Well under the size limit. The PO charges by weight so if it is very light, it will cost much less going regular than flat rate. You can check the price by using the postage calculator on USPS.com.

You should be fine with your box though.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  6. Senior Member
    Ok! Thanks so much for your help