Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cake in a Jar Success!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Cake in a Jar Success!

Advertisements
    I was sooo scared to make cake in a jar. I thought I would shatter a jar, or end up with a gooey undercooked mess. But I had mentioned that I was going to try and make it to DH and he has been all excited about getting it for his birthday now, so I had to give it a go...

...and it actually worked!

They looked and smelled delicious!
    I put the lids on while still hot, but then had to run to let the doggies out so I didnt actually hear them 'pop' sealed...

...but they do look like the lid suctioned shut, so I'm going with that. I told DH to be careful when he opened them and if they looked moldy to toss them haha. I know him and in his excitement about cake he may not have checked for freshness otherwise!

Let's hope they make it over there alright! They are wrapped in newspaper and bubble wrap!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    looks good...Can I ask you what size jar you used? I'm trying to order some online to make some Carrot Cake in a Jar but I don't know what size to get.
  3. Senior Member
    awesome!! i too have been slightly scared to make/send them, because of the chance of molding if not sealed right. but so many people seem to do it successfully, i've decided that next time my DH is deployed over his birthday i'm going to finally send him a cake in a jar! and, just like you said, give him the disclaimer of not eating it if it looks funny

are you sending a can of frosting too for him to "frost" it?
  4. Regular Member
    I made some last month for his xmas care packages and they went over great with everyone! I just send him a thing of frosting to go with it

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerGirl15 View Post
    looks good...Can I ask you what size jar you used? I'm trying to order some online to make some Carrot Cake in a Jar but I don't know what size to get.
    Sorry, I dont know what size they were...I just bought the biggest ones the store had lol! They were definitely bigger than normal mason jars Ive seen before...just had to remember to cook it an extra 5 mins than the website said to.

Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    awesome!! i too have been slightly scared to make/send them, because of the chance of molding if not sealed right. but so many people seem to do it successfully, i've decided that next time my DH is deployed over his birthday i'm going to finally send him a cake in a jar! and, just like you said, give him the disclaimer of not eating it if it looks funny

are you sending a can of frosting too for him to "frost" it?
    Haha yes, I remembered to tell him a few times...'remember not to eat it if it looks funky!!! we dont want any botulism in a jar surprises!'
    And yep, I sent him some matching funfetti icing too! ....or at least...I hope I did...I'm suddenly panicking that I may have forgot to put it in the box!!
    Quote Originally Posted by twiztedgrl69 View Post
    I made some last month for his xmas care packages and they went over great with everyone! I just send him a thing of frosting to go with it
    Glad they worked out for you! Gives me hope that they'll send well!
  6. Regular Member
    Ginger, I made mine is 8 oz jars