Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 1st Carepackage!! Need ideas/advice

1. Senior Member

Smile 1st Carepackage!! Need ideas/advice

Advertisements
    This is my first experience with a deployment. My DH is in Afghanistan. I wanted to send him a nice Christmas care package and I also wanted to bake some goodies to put in there. Does anyone have any good ideas of things I can put in there? And does anyone have any recipes or a website with good recipes with goodies that will hold up well for the long travel overseas? I've read a lot of things online but I would really like advice from some women who know and have experience! Thanks everyone!
  2. Senior Member
    Since it is your first package, you don't know how long it might get to him, meaning you don't know if it will be a safe amount of time for food to travel. You could definitely do a test run though!

I always sent brownies. I wrapped the cooled brownies in saran wrap, then placed them in ziploc bags, squeezed all the air out, then put them in either throw away storage containers or a small box so they wouldn't get squished. Another idea is cookies in a pringles can.

If it ends up taking a long time to get there, then have your SO throw away the baked goods, then send bought cookies or cakes next time.

Unfortunately, it is past the deadline that the post office guarantees a box will get there by Christmas. But its ok if its late! Maybe a New Year's box or something.

For boxes, the priority mail flat rate are the best. You can put as much as you want in them and its all the same price. The large has a $2 discount for military addresses. If you are mailing something light, then regular priority mail can be better. Then you have to fill out a large customs form, and stand in line at the post office to have it stamped.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. Senior Member
    Thank you for the quick response! I think I am going to give the brownies a try! I know I realized my Christmas package would be a little late but I told him I was sorry! Trying to get the first care package out has been kinda nerve wracking I just want it to be right!
  4. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    I have done lots of different cookies in a throw away container with a piece of bread in it to keep them moist. It has worked beautifully!

The first care package I sent comprised of things he forgot or found out he needed there, cookies and a lot of pictures so he could put them up in his area. Have fun with it! I made DH a corny paper tree for Christmas and he loved it. Really, everything that I've sent with love and thought he had been so happy to get, even if it is corny or funny.

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!