Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: how..

1. Banned
    Banned

how..

Advertisements
    do I send a care package??

What info will I need?

Does it cost more or do I have to do something different to send it??

I guess DH didn't get much his last deployment and he doesn't really know how it works either..

Also, if I froze cookies/food and sent it would it be good still once it got there?
  2. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Go to ups.com or to your post office and order/get APO/FPO flat rates boxes. They're free, and if you choose to get the shipped to your house that is also free. They cost like 12 bucks or so to send, unless your lazy like me and just go to UPS instead of the post office... then it's like 15-20 to send lol.

For baked goods, I would vacuum seal them. Freezing them won't really do any good after a couple of hours in the hot trucks.

DF got his address about a week before he deployed, but sometimes they don't know until after their gone. just wait for him to give word on his address.

be cool.
  3. 2010 we get to start our lives together...YAY!!!
    2010 we get to start our lives together...YAY!!!
    Blog Entries

make sure you get the forms that tells the contents of the box when you get the boxes. It hard to fill those things out when the box is already sealed...I learned that the hard way.
  4. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    I always just take my box to UPS and they give me the papers right then, and walk me through them. You don't really have to be specific. To be honest, alot of people just put the same old "snacks, dvds" everytime regaurdless of what they put in them. Thats what i do. i never go into specifics.

be cool.
  5. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What kind of food would you want to send? Some food will travel, other kinds will not. I found recipes online that specifically said they were safe to send to the desert.

If you use a flat rate box, it costs- what, $10-12 for shipment, no matter the weight? I would go that route.
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    What kind of food would you want to send? Some food will travel, other kinds will not. I found recipes online that specifically said they were safe to send to the desert.

If you use a flat rate box, it costs- what, $10-12 for shipment, no matter the weight? I would go that route.
    I think it's got a like 50lb weight limit... when I go they always weigh it... that might just be UPS's thing though. I go next door during work, I'm too lazy to save 5 bucks to go to the post office instead

be cool.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    I know the post office is 70lb limit.

I want to send home made cookies to him and his friends.. I also have to ship his xbox and all his xbox games and his laptop and stuff.. The first care package will be too big to fit in the flat rate boxes. But eh. it's no biggie.

But he leaves in less than 2 weeks and STILL doesn't know where he's going so I wont know his addy till he gets where he's going.
  8. I'll always be your girl
    I'll always be your girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Felisha View Post
    I know the post office is 70lb limit.

I want to send home made cookies to him and his friends.. I also have to ship his xbox and all his xbox games and his laptop and stuff.. The first care package will be too big to fit in the flat rate boxes. But eh. it's no biggie.

But he leaves in less than 2 weeks and STILL doesn't know where he's going so I wont know his addy till he gets where he's going.
    I'd def send it through the post office. I've sent it through UPS and post office and post office is always cheaper.
  9. Senior Member
    Thanks for this info!