Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question but I've been wondering...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Confused Dumb Question but I've been wondering...

Advertisements
    why do the soldies/marines/airmen/Navy people (not sure what else the Navy is called) need family members to seend them necessity items?

I always thought the care packages were just snacks and fun items. THe Military support group in my area just sent out a new list and things like socks, t-shirts, toiletries, etc were needed. When I went to DH's graduation I hoarded the little toiletries and toothbrushes to send in our next send off. My mom asked me why don't they already have that stuff and now I'm wondering.

I can't understand why they don't get it issued or something, What about the guys with no friends/family or ones that can't afford to send stuff?
    Married to MacGirl, chasesbabygurl, An Everyday Love and *Larz* 12-20-2009
  2. Senior Member
    My DB is on a ship and he said it's nice to get the toiletries because it keeps him from having to wait in line at the ship's store.
  3. Sesa Wo Suban
    Sesa Wo Suban
    My DH took only a few items with him as far as toiletries go. I'm sure when he runs out of deodorant or soap, he won't be able to go to a commissary to get what he needs so he needs for me to send it. It's usually that they don't have access to buying the extra stuff that they need.
  4. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    DB never wanted any of that stuff cause he was able to buy it on the FOB. he only wanted goodies from home like his favorite snack or home made cookies, etc.

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by llove12 View Post
    why do the soldies/marines/airmen/Navy people (not sure what else the Navy is called) need family members to seend them necessity items?

I always thought the care packages were just snacks and fun items. THe Military support group in my area just sent out a new list and things like socks, t-shirts, toiletries, etc were needed. When I went to DH's graduation I hoarded the little toiletries and toothbrushes to send in our next send off. My mom asked me why don't they already have that stuff and now I'm wondering.

I can't understand why they don't get it issued or something, What about the guys with no friends/family or ones that can't afford to send stuff?
    Some people have preferences and or sensitive skin/gums/whatever, or just want stuff from home... as for those not having people to send them stuff, there are always the adopt a soldier programs that help them out... also at most locations there is a place they can buy this stuff, but it tends to be more expensive and alot less to choose from...
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes it's more expensive for them to buy it where they are, sometimes whatever the military has set up runs out of things they need, I know where db is they ran out of toilet paper for a day

But even if he could get absolutely everything I'd still probably go to costco and stock up on socks, just because I'm sure he'd like to know that I'm thinking about him, and trying to make him wear clean socks even from across the world
  7. Instigator Extraordinaire
    Instigator Extraordinaire
    Some places they can't get it -- and some of our schnookums are just extra special and need special stuff.
    Keep on keeping on.

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Got it! I just couldn't figure it out. I always bought them junk food and snacks then I felt bad because they actually need stuff like clean socks and I was sending them Skittle and Ho Hos.
    Married to MacGirl, chasesbabygurl, An Everyday Love and *Larz* 12-20-2009
  9. Senior Member
    and navy people are sailors by the way
  10. Banned
    Banned
    For me, it's my moronic DH who will pack 4700 pairs of boxers to pad his little tushie, but who forgets essential things like SOAP.

He's on a sub, and from what he's said, they can't get anything on board. So it has to come from home or hope that someone else is generous and shares [insert sailor dropping the soap joke here]. They do sometimes have scheduled maildrops, so if he knows one's coming, he can shoot me an email if they have communication.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast