Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: care packages: tax write-offs?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Confused care packages: tax write-offs?

Advertisements
    A friend of mine was told by a Marine other than her fiance (her fiance is deployed with mine currently) to keep all of the receipts for the care packages because it can be written-off on her fiance's taxes later on because it's work-related. Now, I'm wondering if anyone has done that? And if so, does it only include the necessities for the boys like socks, soap, razors, baby wipes, etc? Also, if I'm not a wife while I'm sending him care packages does it count?

Thanks in advance!
    <3 Kat
  2. Senior Member
    I don't think you can do that. As its technically NOT work related....or else everyone would be writing off their soap.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    well... it is work related they have to SHIP thier soap... I think HE could claim it, but not you.
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I honestly don't see how this would work. They have access to necessities wherever they are.

Besides, soap isn't a work-related item!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by endangeredreams View Post
    well... it is work related they have to SHIP thier soap... I think HE could claim it, but not you.

I still think it would be highly difficult to prove a bar of Ivory or Zest is enough of a work expense to do all the work it would take to "write it off"

6. Senior Member
    The only things that I COULD write off on my taxes (the only I even tried, but was able to) were uniform shirts that I had to purchase from a military website for DH...They ARE a work expense (as they are FOR his deployment and you have to have military info to use the site) and can be claimed. Other than that nothing was claimed for military expenses. Uniforms for his civilian job were the same.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    I don't think you can do that. As its technically NOT work related....or else everyone would be writing off their soap.
    thank you!
    see this is what i thought, but this is new territory for me so i had NO idea and figured i'd ask if anyone had tried. plus considering we aren't married, that makes it a hell of a lot more questionable.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by endangeredreams View Post
    yeah, this is what the other marine had told my friend because she shares a bank account and etc with her fiance, and she passed it along to me to check it out.
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

a little more background as to why i asked...

well, i meant things such as soap & etc.. it was the first thing i thought of and i think its funny now that everyone's specifically locked on that particular item

DF has me sending most of what he needs while he's out there. last week he bought ONE pair of "winter" wool socks for $25, while he's in Afghan during the SUMMER because he needed a new pair and that's all they had to hold him over before i can send him some. he has minimal access to his money at best, and in general it's cheaper just for us to have me to ship things to him than to have him buy what he needs there.

i figured i may as well ask because if HE can write off at least a few things, that would be awesome and help us out a lot and if its possible it could help out someone else as well. we're not exactly poor as church mice, but we're close as we're paying for my college with little help from my parents and he won't let me take a few semesters off to work more.
  10. Senior Member
    Doubtful. Anyway, the uniform allowance is designed to offset those types of costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast