Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Shipping soda?

1. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Shipping soda?

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever shipped soda in a care package? If so, how'd you do it? Did it make it okay?

I found some little soda cans in DH's favorite soda and I want to send them but I'm afraid they might bust in the box or something. I know he's really love it. Need some tips! Thanksss.
    TTFN. Ta-ta for now MSOS.
  2. Senior Member
    i never had any problems doing it...just packed them in there tightly...i've bought soda (peruvian) online, and they ship it to you

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  3. Senior Member
    Maybe put each one in a ziplock bag incase they do explode? I've never shipped soda but this might work.
  4. Super-mom extrodinaire
    Super-mom extrodinaire
    Soda can burst if it gets shaken up and sits in the sun a long time, if your gonna ship it ziplock it. This goes for most liquid things. Another wife told me a horror story about shipping Soy milk and how it exploded...ewwww...
    I look at the moon every night, because I know in 12 short hours she will be looking at you. - DH Iraq 2009
    Rachooow is my awesome wifey So you can't have her
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I shipped dh red bull, I put the red bull in a ziploc bag and put it in the middle of the box so it had stuff around it to kind of cushion it. I'm pretty sure it made it okay, I didn't hear any complaints from him so I'm guessing it did

Buuut this was while he was at ntc so it was only shipped from az to ca.
  6. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I think legally you are not supposed to mail carbonated beverages.

That said, if I were to ever do it, I would bubble wrap the container, put it into a ziploc freezer bag, and then put all that into a SECOND ziploc freezer bag. When you put it into the first bag and seal it, take that bag and put it SEAL SIDE DOWN in the second bag, so that your seals are not at the same end.
  7. I love my life :D
    I love my life :D
    i fill up the flat rate boxes with my guys favorite energy drink all the time.. sometimes one or two burst and sometimes they are fine.. i started putting bubble wrap inbetween them. I woudl jsut suggest not sending anything else with it in case they do burst he said those packages with a broken one smell like poop haha
  8. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    I think legally you are not supposed to mail carbonated beverages.

That said, if I were to ever do it, I would bubble wrap the container, put it into a ziploc freezer bag, and then put all that into a SECOND ziploc freezer bag. When you put it into the first bag and seal it, take that bag and put it SEAL SIDE DOWN in the second bag, so that your seals are not at the same end.
    Is this a fact, or something I would have to go check at the post office? Does anyone know if this is true? Looks like I'm going to need a bunch of packing supplies this time around!
    TTFN. Ta-ta for now MSOS.
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CubLub63 View Post
    Is this a fact, or something I would have to go check at the post office? Does anyone know if this is true? Looks like I'm going to need a bunch of packing supplies this time around!
    Before I found out about the flat rate boxes I called UPS and FedEx to ask about shipping energy drinks, Amp is DB's favorite, and they said it was totally fine to ship those things as long as they were in cans and not glass bottles. I'd assume it would be ok to send through the regular post office. I sent 5 of em in his first package about a month ago and he got them. I didn't write em on the customs form though---I just put "gaterade" and they never questioned it when they looked it over. I think you should be fine sending him his favorite little cans of pop I always bag DB's energy drinks in big gallon size ziplock bags just to be safe. So far we've had no problems with them getting there.
  10. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Woot! I finally found info!!!

From http://www.usps.com/international/serviceupdates.htm

# Other Mailable Gases. Materials whose contents are under pressure, such as carbonated beverages, biological/medical products, cosmetics, foodstuffs and soaps, electronic tubes, and audible fire alarm systems (except for any that may contain poisonous gases or others that may be specifically excluded by 49 CFR 173.306), are acceptable in the domestic mail as follows:

1. Carbonated Beverages. These items are not regulated as hazardous materials and are acceptable without restriction. Carbonated beverages must be properly packaged under DMM 601.1–8.

And here is the DMM 601: http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm

SO it is NOT illegal!! YAY!!! But do wrap it like I suggested earlier. If the cans were to explode (changing air pressure, temperatures, etc), you don't want the whole package ruined and/or delayed because of a "suspicious leaking package"