Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pretzels!

1. Regular Member
    Texas for me, and He is at Fort Benning currently!

Pretzels!

Advertisements
    I want to make soft pretzels! Does anyone have a good recipe? My fiance' & I attempted to make some before he left for BCT, but it just tasted like bread, not pretzels. And HE demanded that I "PER-FECT" the pretzels by the time he gets back! lol any advise guys??
    "My love for you is a journey, starting at forever, and ending at never."
  2. Senior Member
    i hope this helps:

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
    * 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 1 package active dry yeast
    * 22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups
    * 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
    * Vegetable oil, for pan
    * 10 cups water
    * 2/3 cup baking soda
    * 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
    * Pretzel salt

Directions

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.

Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.

In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.

Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
  3. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    LOL!!! I just made pretzel sticks today and used this recipe: Aunt Annie's Soft Pretzels Recipe @CDKitchen

Make sure you have a lot of time on your hands. I spend about 3 hours in the kitchen...
  4. Senior Member
    @Victoria: How did your pretzels turn out? I made them once and they tasted nothing like Aunt Annie's.
    Any advice on it?
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    They turned out great! Make sure you don't use cheapy butter. I used imported butter that costs like $8 a lb.
  6. Senior Member
    I never thought of that! Thank you for the advice.
    So it turned out exactly like the Auntie Annie's ones? :o

Maybe I'll try it out tonightt...