Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Gluten Free Bread making

1. Senior Member

Gluten Free Bread making

Advertisements
    Well, I miss having sandwiches so I broke down and bought a gluten free bread mix and some loaf pans to give it a try. I mixed it all up and it looks yummy and it didn't stink too bad like some of the other GF mixes...

But, I pre-heated the oven and just set the loaf pan on a burner cover to rise because it said to let it set in a warm place. I waited the 40 minutes and it hasn't risen at all, so I'm not sure what to do. The package said to beat so I didn't use my dough hook on my kitchen aid and now I'm kicking myself for that.

I just set it right on the stove and set the timer again. Anything else I can do to salvage it? Should I just bake it?
    Last edited by BlueBird; 09-22-2009 at 01:59 PM.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

It says that it's a dense white bread.
    I don't think those will rise much.
  3. Senior Member
    no? the package said it should rise to the top of the loaf pan but it definitely didnt do that, if it moved at all.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by HisBlueBird View Post
    no? the package said it should rise to the top of the loaf pan but it definitely didnt do that, if it moved at all.
    I don't know then, but you might want to call them, I've had bread not rise only when the ingredients are old.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Found this here http://www.glutenfree.com/info/Baking_Tips.aspx

If Your Bread Isn't Rising, Try One Or More Of These Suggestions:

• Gluten-free bread dough rises best in a warm, draft-free room.
    • If the machine is programmable, increase the amount of time in the rise cycle. Make sure to begin with very warm (not hot) ingredients
    • Add a little more warm liquid during the kneading cycle
    • Add 1 tsp. cider vinegar to liquids or 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ascorbic acid (powdered Vitamin C) to the dry ingredients in the recipe
    • The yeast may be old or liquids may have been too hot. (Over 120 degrees will kill the yeast.) Next time, use fresh yeast and water that is not quite so hot
    • Don't worry if your bread has not risen to the top of the pan when it begins to bake. It will rise more during baking
    General Suggestions:
    • Avoid using automatic cool down cycle. Cool on wire rack to prevent bread from becoming gummy. To revive, heat uncut loaf in 350-degree oven for 5 min
    • Use butter and milk rather than oil and water to add moisture and create a chewy crust. Egg replacer may be used in place of eggs
    • Adding a sweetener helps activate the yeast. Molasses and honey help produce a silky texture in gluten-free yeast doughs. Be sure to count as part of the liquid ingredients
    • If the same bread machine is used for all family bread baking, buy a second paddle and bowl or carefully clean blade and shaft of bowl to avoid any cross-contamination
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks for that!! I wish we had a bread machine but since it said not to worry, I think I'll just put it in the oven and see how it comes out. If it comes out bad I think I'll call the company tomorrow. Totally a good point about the mix being old. I have no clue how long its been on the shelf of the grocery store. I'm gonna make it from scratch instead I think.
    Last edited by BlueBird; 09-22-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typos
  7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Check out King Arthur Flour.com. They have some great products and advice for baking as well.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  8. Senior Member
    Will do!! Thank you!
  9. Senior Member
    I use a bread maker (it was $80 at the exchange) http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CBK-...3625982&sr=8-5 it has a gluten free setting!! I it!! You just throw everything in there and it mixes it and cooks it all by itself.
  10. Senior Member
    The bread ended up rising just fine after I moved it from the burner cover to the actual stovetop (with the oven preheated). And it tastes so freaking delicious.