Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: King Cake (yes, it's a bread)

1. Junior Member

Cloud 9 King Cake (yes, it's a bread)

Advertisements
    I know it's a little late, since this is a Mardi Gras thing, but we made this recipe this year and everybody went crazy for it. It's kind of a bread and a desert, so I'll post it both places. It's from FabulousFoods.com and they have a bread machine version, too, but I made this one by hand and it was super easy!

Ingredients:

Cake:
    1/2 cup warm water (100-115 F)
    2 tablespoons yeast
    1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
    3 1/2 - 4 cup flour
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1/2 cup warm milk
    5 egg yolks
    1/2 cup butter
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash

Icing:
    3 cups confectioner's sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    3-6 tablespoons water

additional granulated sugar & food coloring for decoration

1 tiny 1" baby doll

Sprinkle yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar over warm water in a small, shallow bowl. Allow to rest for 3-5 minutes, then mix thoroughly. Set bowl in a warm, draft-free place until yeast starts to bubble up and mixture almost doubles in volume, about 10 minutes.

In a large mixing bowl, mix 3 1/2 C flour, 1/2 cup sugar, nutmeg, lemon zest and salt. In mixing bowl of a heavy duty electric mixer or food processor, combine yeast , milk and egg yolks. Gradually add dry ingredients, and softened butter, adding additional flour, as necessary to achieve a medium-soft ball. Knead dough, again adding flour if necessary, until smooth, shiny and elastic, about 10 minutes.

Place dough in a covered, buttered bowl , in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

In the meantime, butter a large baking sheet and set aside.

When dough has risen, remove and punch down. Sprinkle with cinnamon and form into a cylinder, then twist this cylinder into a circle. Pinch the ends together to complete the circle. Once again, cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 375° F. Brush top and sides of cake with egg wash and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack completely before hiding baby doll inside or icing and decorating.

Icing:
    Mix sugar, lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of water until mixture is smooth, adding more water as necessary to achieve a smooth, spreadable consistency. Spread icing over cake and immediately sprinkle colored sugar in alternating color rows.

Tinting your own sugar:
    All you need are some small, heavy duty, plastic zipper bags, some sugar and some food colors. Paste colors work best, as they help keep the sugar from getting overly soggy and it's easier to mix. Place the desired amount of sugar or coconut in the plastic bag, add a small dab of color on a toothpick. Close the bag and mix and shake until color is evenly distributed.

I used the liquid drops for this and it works fine. This tinting process also works for coconut.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/maddifatty08/army.jpg
    My pretty pretty ones!
  2. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    You forgot the annoying plastic baby that I always always find in my piece. Every year
  3. Senior Member
    I king cake. Aww mardi gras memories
    Mommy's Little Monkey Mommy's Little Princess
  4. I would wait forever and a lifetime for you <3
    I would wait forever and a lifetime for you <3
    Blog Entries
    YUMMY! I love king cake!!!
  5. andysmith5

thanks for the post!

helloreplica.com provides a wide array of Replica Watches and professional customer sevrice, our goal is to make every customer 100% satsfied. We are more than ready to show our unique prowess and fortes to gain our footing. And we also provide fast delivery service, we guarantee our listing price is lower than other competitor. welcome to oursite Watches replica Rolex Replica replica rolex replica watch