Advertisements
    2 Packages (5 teaspoons) active dry yeast
    1 Cup (8oz) Warm Water (105-115*F)
    1/2 cup (+ 1/4 tsp) Sugar
    3 large eggs, plus one egg beaten to glaze
    5 Cups all-purpose (plain) flour
    2 Tsp salt
    1/2 cup (4oz or one stick) ROOM TEMPERATURE butter
    1 TBSP Poppy or Sesame seeds (I don't use them, they're optional)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in the water with 1/4 tsp of sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.

Using a wooden spoon, stir in the sugar, 3 eggs, 4 1/2 cups of the flour, the salt, and the butter until the mass comes together in a sticky mass.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, working in the remaining flour as necessary to keep the dough from being too sticky, until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes.

DO NOT add too much flour. The dough should stay soft, and will become less sticky with kneading. I always just flour my hands. Make sure to remove rings that will get bits of dough in them, it's not fun to clean

Form the dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl (I take about 1 TBSP of olive oil and coat the bowl using my fingers).

Cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft free spot until it doubles in size, about 2 hours.

Line a baking sheet with parchment (baking) paper (waxed works in a pinch).

Punch down the dough (Gently press down on the dough to remove excess gasses that formed during rising), and turn out onto a clean work surface.

For a three strand braid, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. I don't do well with a four strand braid.

Using your palms, start in the centre and work outward to elongate 1 piece by rolling gently against the work surface with even pressure until you've formed a rope as long as your pan. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.

Place pieces on prepared pan and braid pieces by laying over the top of each other. Once your braid is complete, pinch them together at both ends and gently fold the strands under at the top and bottom.

Cover your braided loaf with a dry kitchen towel and let rise again until it doubles in size and is spongy to the touch, about 45-60 minutes.

Put a rack on the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 (make sure to do this about 15 minutes before your bread is done rising so it doesn't over proof!)

Brush the loaf gently with the beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds if you're using them. I always just use my fingers to brush the bread with the egg, but you can use a basting brush.

Bake until the bread is nicely browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

Enjoy! And feel free to ask if you have questions! And here are a couple pictures: http://forum.militarysos.com/showthr...61#post3675761
    Last edited by Rainbow Brite; 11-23-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: damp instead of damn :lmao
  2. Senior Member
    Yum! I love challah! Thank you for sharing your recipe
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I know I just posted in the other thread but what is this?? Is it super yummy?
  4. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Quote Originally Posted by kalabranscum View Post
    I know I just posted in the other thread but what is this?? Is it super yummy?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challah
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-challah.htm
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    Cover the dough with a damn kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft free spot until it doubles in size, about 2 hours.
    I'm going to try this one day, sounds super yummy! And I know you probably meant damp but I at the bolded part.
  6. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Quote Originally Posted by MullerKris View Post
    I'm going to try this one day, sounds super yummy! And I know you probably meant damp but I at the bolded part.
    OMG that is an amazing typo