Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Focaccia (Italian)

1. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN

Focaccia (Italian)

Advertisements
    This is a yummy recipe, not like traditional focaccia I've had here in Sicily but still a great Italian bread. DH loves to slice it in half and make sandwiches out of it.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups bread flour
    * 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 tablespoon white sugar
    * 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
    * 1 1/3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    * 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    * 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large stoneware bowl, stir together the flours and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Sprinkle the sugar and yeast into that well. Carefully pour the water into the well. Let stand until the yeast begins to act, about 5 minutes. Pour 2 tablespoons of the oil into the well. With a wooden spoon stir the mixture in the center of the bowl. Gradually widen the circle of stirring to take in all of the flour at the sides of the well.

2. Turn out on a floured surface, and knead just until smooth. Keep the dough soft. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of the oil into a clean bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, turning once to oil the top. Cover. Let rise until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.

3. Punch the dough down. Use 1 teaspoon of the oil to coat a baking sheet, and place the dough on the baking sheet. Gently press the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Pour the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over the top of the dough. Use the handle end of a wooden spoon to dimple the dough at 1 1/2 inch intervals. Sprinkle with the rosemary and the cheese. Place in a cold oven on the center shelf. Place a flat pan of hot water on the shelf below the bread. Let rise until doubled, 20 to 25 minutes.

4. Turn on the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the focaccia for 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned on top. Remove from the pan, and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.

I add some Oregano, Basil, Thyme, or just an Italian seasoning blend into the dough, not just not on top; Really gives it some good flavor. It can also be shaped into smaller single portions!

After DH had some with his bruschetta!

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

2. Senior Member
    OOOH! I'm so glad you posted that! I love Focaccia bread!!! YUM! I've been looking for a good recipe, and I can't wait to try this one!!!

3. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerkelly View Post
    OOOH! I'm so glad you posted that! I love Focaccia bread!!! YUM! I've been looking for a good recipe, and I can't wait to try this one!!!

It really is delicious, especially with the added herbs in the dough. Christopher eats it with bruschetta or olive oil & pepperoncinis, or cuts it open for a sandwich and it's SO good as sandwich bread.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.