Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I might quit my job today

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I might quit my job today

Advertisements
    Is anyone still here anymore? lol, if not, I guess this will be like a journal posting

I'm highly considering putting in my notice at work today. I have to give a month when I do.

I hate my job, It's totally toxic. I've posted about that before

I cut down to 32 hours a week because I'm doing an administrator-in-training internship (20 hours a week) at a different building towards my goal of becoming a nursing home administrator (NHA). I can take the NHA exam in July. If all goes well, I will be working as an administrator by Sept/Oct - that's assuming I pass my exam on the first try and some time to find a good position.

I wanted to hold off a bit longer, hoping I would only go about 3 months without my income. If I give my notice, it will be closer to 6+ months without my income. But, I HATE my job. I live with my fiancé, and he earns enough to support the both of us for awhile - although we would really have to budget which makes me nervous.

On Friday, my boss asked me to start doing more than 32 hours a week. I told him I'd think about it, but there is no way I want to pick up more hours, because, I fucking hate my job.

I don't want to make an emotional decision here, I want to be smart. Continuing to work here makes me miserable, but living on a tight budget makes me scared (even though I know it will be temporary)

Any thoughts, opinions, advice, relatable experiences, is welcome
  2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Good nursing home admins are hard to come by (especially in my area!). I've missed or forgotten about your previous posts, but what about this place is so toxic? Will this change when you have your own nursing home?

I would honestly suggest not quitting a job unless you have a new job lined up. Although your fiance can support you, that puts a lot of stress on a relationship and you will always have to explain gaps in employment.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Good nursing home admins are hard to come by (especially in my area!). I've missed or forgotten about your previous posts, but what about this place is so toxic? Will this change when you have your own nursing home?

I would honestly suggest not quitting a job unless you have a new job lined up. Although your fiance can support you, that puts a lot of stress on a relationship and you will always have to explain gaps in employment.
    The people are very toxic here in a nutshell. It starts with a lack of accountability from the top down, expectations are low, I have no pride in the work that is done here and it makes it really hard for me to stay motivated and do the best I can.

I've been in a few other facilities that have been better/much better, so I know it is just the people here.

The good thing would be I am working on my AIT, which is technically a position, just unpaid, but I would be able to continue with AIT full time at 40 hours a week until I land a paid, administrator position. Fiancé is deployed (so really, I'd have nearly all the spending money until his return) and has been telling me for months to just quit.

I don't have any concerns about my career path/reputation, or what the lack of money will do to our relationship. I just am concerned that I wont have the ability to spend money on whatever I want whenever I want LOL. I've maintained a pretty pampered life for myself, but I would have to be more cautious with one income. We do each have a lot in savings, but I'd like to avoid touching that if possible. We'd be looking at living off 1300-1600 per month for the both of us (when he comes back) That amount goes for spending, gas, food, random things we want

Thanks for your input! It helps to talk out all the issues.
  4. Senior Member
    I likely wouldn't quit unless it was a major health issue or something like that.

To me, once I know there is an end date, it is a lot easier and I can focus on that. "Only two more months; only 8 more Mondays, only 8 more staff meetings, only 2 more mid-month reports". That' makes it very manageable. So I'd set and end date now and allow myself the mental countdown as a coping mechanism.

You could also ask about reducing hours. Yes, they just asked you to work more, but that probably means they are somewhat hard up for people. So if they can only have you for 25 hours or 0 hours, they are likely going to choose 25. But you may know more about how they view part time employees.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Have you started looking for a full time administrator position? I guess it's a little early since you won't have all of your education and training complete until this summer. But you can always start the search early, make them aware you won't have all of the requirements until the summer and see if they are open to some part time work or training with the new company in the meantime.

Personally, my work environment would have to be really awful for me to leave before I had something else lined up. And it is always easier to find a new job when you already have one. While it seems like the place you are at now is a waste of time, figuring out what you don't want in a company and position is just as important as knowing what you do need/value.

I'm in a really different field, but I accepted a position before I graduated (almost a full year in advance) and delayed starting work. When I did start work I had to continue my schooling and graduation was a condition of the employment.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I likely wouldn't quit unless it was a major health issue or something like that.

To me, once I know there is an end date, it is a lot easier and I can focus on that. "Only two more months; only 8 more Mondays, only 8 more staff meetings, only 2 more mid-month reports". That' makes it very manageable. So I'd set and end date now and allow myself the mental countdown as a coping mechanism.

You could also ask about reducing hours. Yes, they just asked you to work more, but that probably means they are somewhat hard up for people. So if they can only have you for 25 hours or 0 hours, they are likely going to choose 25. But you may know more about how they view part time employees.
    Thanks for your response! Most days I do feel like it is a major mental health issue, but then I just feel like I'm being weak.

I think you're right about setting a date. I sat down with a friend last night to process all my thoughts and we came to the same conclusion. I've been agonizing over what to do for awhile now and that's not helping me either. At this point, if I don't want to give up my income yet, I need to focus on an end date and just stop thinking about quitting before - just taking the option off the table for myself. Maybe then I can just go into auto-pilot and finish up my time.

I'd feel really good about finishing out June, so that's my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Have you started looking for a full time administrator position? I guess it's a little early since you won't have all of your education and training complete until this summer. But you can always start the search early, make them aware you won't have all of the requirements until the summer and see if they are open to some part time work or training with the new company in the meantime.

Personally, my work environment would have to be really awful for me to leave before I had something else lined up. And it is always easier to find a new job when you already have one. While it seems like the place you are at now is a waste of time, figuring out what you don't want in a company and position is just as important as knowing what you do need/value.

I'm in a really different field, but I accepted a position before I graduated (almost a full year in advance) and delayed starting work. When I did start work I had to continue my schooling and graduation was a condition of the employment.
    It is too early, but I'm taking advantage of networking events because it really is all in who you know in this small industry. Reputation is everything. My work environment IS really that awful LOL - I laugh so I don't cry. Thanks for your input though. I'm going to try to stick it out
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Here is my problem now, how do I do a good job/motivate myself, when I hate my job? I've googled this many times but the articles don't seem to spark any drive in me. I feel so off because this is not me, at my old job I loved it and I thrived. I went above and beyond, my boss praised me, and I did a great job. I took pride in my work and my coworkers took pride in theirs.

I'm totally at a loss. This is not me and I don't know how to pull myself back up
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    Here is my problem now, how do I do a good job/motivate myself, when I hate my job? I've googled this many times but the articles don't seem to spark any drive in me. I feel so off because this is not me, at my old job I loved it and I thrived. I went above and beyond, my boss praised me, and I did a great job. I took pride in my work and my coworkers took pride in theirs.

I'm totally at a loss. This is not me and I don't know how to pull myself back up
    I feel for you - I have also posted about work and wanting to quit and I almost did quit (100% emotional not logical reasoning) but I stuck with it and continued to work hard while I looked at other opportunities and then in the end I just didn't think it was a good time to make the transition, since staying I have gotten a bonus and some new projects and also made some adjustments to my office to make my work space better for me. There's a lot I have no control over and sometimes it's frustrating but the things I can control (my space, my work performance, my projects) I can make sure they are done to the highest standards and are something to be proud of. I think sometimes it's like getting stuck in a group project in school and being with duds - you still want to get the A sometimes you just have to carry the team...

That being said you have an end date!! You have a plan. I would try to push through until the end because as much as your fiance can support you both you never know what the future holds and in my experience saving up before a transition is always a good idea just in case (in case it takes longer than expected to find a job, in case a move happens. in case an unexpected expense comes up) and with two incomes right now you can focus on saving up for the transition while remembering this is temporary - you're planning to leave in 6 months! In a lifetime 6 months is a blip, you can totally handle a crappy work situation for 6 months!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I feel for you - I have also posted about work and wanting to quit and I almost did quit (100% emotional not logical reasoning) but I stuck with it and continued to work hard while I looked at other opportunities and then in the end I just didn't think it was a good time to make the transition, since staying I have gotten a bonus and some new projects and also made some adjustments to my office to make my work space better for me. There's a lot I have no control over and sometimes it's frustrating but the things I can control (my space, my work performance, my projects) I can make sure they are done to the highest standards and are something to be proud of. I think sometimes it's like getting stuck in a group project in school and being with duds - you still want to get the A sometimes you just have to carry the team...

That being said you have an end date!! You have a plan. I would try to push through until the end because as much as your fiance can support you both you never know what the future holds and in my experience saving up before a transition is always a good idea just in case (in case it takes longer than expected to find a job, in case a move happens. in case an unexpected expense comes up) and with two incomes right now you can focus on saving up for the transition while remembering this is temporary - you're planning to leave in 6 months! In a lifetime 6 months is a blip, you can totally handle a crappy work situation for 6 months!
    Thank you for your response. You made me feel very supported and encouraged! are you a therapist? lol Yes, I am sticking it out and just trying to do my best, the end is near!