Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What do you want for Christmas?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

What do you want for Christmas?

Advertisements
    Happy Holidays everyone!! I'm not doing any black Friday shopping today, but I am trying to come up with gift ideas.

This is totally a first world problems post LOL. I have no idea what I want from DF and he doesn't know what he wants either this year! We need ideas lol. He mentioned maybe he wants a lift kit for his truck but he wasn't overly enthused about that. I also have no idea what I want, was kind of thinking about that dyson hair dryer, or a remote starter for my car but again nothing is really calling my name

So what are you all asking for or giving to SO for xmas this year? Anything cool/exciting
  2. Senior Member
    Consider doing experience gifts instead. Plan a weekend away together, or get tickets to a concert for a favorite artist or sports team. Or put money away for your wedding. If that doesn't feel festive enough, go cake tasting, make a day of it, and then put a downpayment on the cake. Or find some other way to tie it to a specific thing if that feels more special.

It seems sort of silly to spend money on stuff you are lukewarm about just because it's a certain time of the year. So find something else to do.

DH and I are mostly just giving ourselves permission to go all out for the tours for our Hawaiian cruise, which is happening in the middle of our PCS from Japan to the States. There were things I wanted to do, but they were spendy so I was feeling conflicted. Now I don't and we are making the most of this opportunity. I know we are going to make a lot of memories and have some much delayed, much anticipated relaxation.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Consider doing experience gifts instead. Plan a weekend away together, or get tickets to a concert for a favorite artist or sports team. Or put money away for your wedding. If that doesn't feel festive enough, go cake tasting, make a day of it, and then put a downpayment on the cake. Or find some other way to tie it to a specific thing if that feels more special.

It seems sort of silly to spend money on stuff you are lukewarm about just because it's a certain time of the year. So find something else to do.

DH and I are mostly just giving ourselves permission to go all out for the tours for our Hawaiian cruise, which is happening in the middle of our PCS from Japan to the States. There were things I wanted to do, but they were spendy so I was feeling conflicted. Now I don't and we are making the most of this opportunity. I know we are going to make a lot of memories and have some much delayed, much anticipated relaxation.
    Good thoughts! Maybe we can give each other like a 50$ limit for stocking stuffer things so xmas day still feels fun and then put a big chunk into our wedding fund
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

Yeah this!

I got DB tickets to go see Trevor Noah together in January. I also like to give a few small things, so I got him a Yeti tumbler and a workout shirt, since we've started going to the gym together.

My sisters and I aren't getting each other gifts this year, which is great. We decided to do a sisters dinner over the holidays and go all out at on food and wine at a nice restaurant. We are also going in together to get my parents a hotel/spa package at a winter resort nearby. They have some good deals on right now and split 3 ways it's quite manageable.

I'm contributing to my niece's education fund (she's 6 months, but hey never too early) and because I couldn't help myself I also got her a few Christmas books, a "My first Christmas" ornament and a roots onesie (I may or may not have the adult version of this )

I requested a white sound machine because DB snores and our room is too cold to have the fan on in the winter
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I got DH custom corn hole boards because we've been playing at least once a week for the last year with friends. I also got him a couple different cook books for his favorite foods to spark some new ideas to our menu, and a small cribbage board with his dolphins on it since he enjoys teaching people how to play. All that's left is stocking stuffers, which will probably be random things he likes and some local brewery Tshirts.

I asked for some new cookware that my mom is getting me, and told DH I'd like some small diamond earrings.
  6. Senior Member
    If you guys truly don't know what you want, don't buy something just because you're "supposed to". Seems like a waste of money. DH and I don't give each other presents. We either go do something together to make memories or we do nothing. We have Christmas with the family and even though we've told them not to, DH's grandparents and parents still get us presents, so it's not like we're totally present-less. But even without those it's still a fulfilling and fun Christmas!
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We're both getting smartwatches this Christmas but that's really the only gifts we have planned, I'm sure we'll both pick up a few stocking stuffers.

I agree about experience gifts, we've been big about trying new restaurants lately, I would love to have a gift of a dinner at a nice restaurant. For my birthday DH took me to a great little place and we got the tasting menu and wine pairings, it was actually fantastic not to have to stress out about what to order either. He just gave the kitchen my preferences ahead of time (I don't eat pork or foie gras) and they took it from there. Whenever the waiter brought out a new dish they would do a little explanation of what it was and it made me feel so fancy like we were on Top Chef or something lol.
  8. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    We're both getting smartwatches this Christmas but that's really the only gifts we have planned, I'm sure we'll both pick up a few stocking stuffers.

I agree about experience gifts, we've been big about trying new restaurants lately, I would love to have a gift of a dinner at a nice restaurant. For my birthday DH took me to a great little place and we got the tasting menu and wine pairings, it was actually fantastic not to have to stress out about what to order either. He just gave the kitchen my preferences ahead of time (I don't eat pork or foie gras) and they took it from there. Whenever the waiter brought out a new dish they would do a little explanation of what it was and it made me feel so fancy like we were on Top Chef or something lol.
    You got something much better than Top Chef

Speaking from the inside...those tasting menus (the technical name is a degustation) are a lot of fun to design. I love doing them. They’re often quite difficult, because you’re trying to balance making each course both something unique and something that can be part of a cohesive whole/part of a sort of culinary narrative, but the challenge of it is really interesting. Small courses allow a lot of room to be creative and play.

To answer OP’s question, I want a new water-stone for my knives. I don’t know whether I’ll get one, but I would like one.

Husband will be getting outrageous quantities of homemade toffee, because as far as he’s concerned my toffee is better than crack. Also, a Betoota Bitter t-shirt, (because he would get a huge kick out of wearing a shirt to advertise a beer that doesn’t exist made in a town that doesn’t exist) and a new copy of his favourite book to replace the one that fell apart.

He’s not going to be home for Christmas this year, so anything I give him is going to have to fit in a box.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So we decided to set a limit of 100$ and then put a bigger amount in a honeymoon fund. So I'll probably get him a few smaller items. I want to get him a drone, he would love playing with that, so I might get a cheaper one for 50$ or so