Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Florence

1. Senior Member

Hurricane Florence

Advertisements
    Where are all my coastal Carolina peeps? Currently, ole Flo is headed straight for us as a potential category 4. Who's planning to ride it out? Who has any tips? Who is already panicking? Let's talk!

2. Senior Member
    The last hurricane I experienced was back in 2011. It was only a cat 1 or 2, but fallen trees destroyed several houses.

If this thing hits as a cat 4 then I'm definitely gtfo. But we have 3 animals so I'm not sure where we would go.

3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Just texted you back, you always have a place here, boo! <3
  4. Senior Member
    All of my family is in SC, strung between the Columbia area and James Island. Of course no one is leaving because 'I was born here and I'll die here'. Like, okay Grandma when we see you on the news floating by on your kitchen table you'll be singing a different tune.

Anywho, my mom is set to fly out to visit us in NM on Friday from Columbia. I'm curious to see if air travel from there is affected.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    All of my family is in SC, strung between the Columbia area and James Island. Of course no one is leaving because 'I was born here and I'll die here'. Like, okay Grandma when we see you on the news floating by on your kitchen table you'll be singing a different tune.

Anywho, my mom is set to fly out to visit us in NM on Friday from Columbia. I'm curious to see if air travel from there is affected.
    My sister is in Mt. Pleasant and under mandatory evacuation....and I keep thinking just get out of there. Come down to FL and let your kids play with mine so you don't kill them...since schools are closed now.
  6. Senior Member
    Is your house boarded up? Is it wood frame or concrete block? If you have extra blankets or can get extra blankets, you can try to secure them around your car somehow to protect from hail damage. Hasn’t happened in my experience but they always threaten hail and I know your car is still pretty new.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post

I know the situation isn't funny, but this made me LOL.

Stay safe everyone!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Is your house boarded up? Is it wood frame or concrete block? If you have extra blankets or can get extra blankets, you can try to secure them around your car somehow to protect from hail damage. Hasn’t happened in my experience but they always threaten hail and I know your car is still pretty new.
    We arent allowed to board our windows. I did as much as I could to prep the house. We were mandatory evacuated so now we have to wait and see.

For a while we were right in the eye, but today it seems to have shifted some (we are still pretty damn close to the eye). I'm right next to a river, and a few miles from the beach, so I'm super concerned about flooding.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 09-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    I know the situation isn't funny, but this made me LOL.

Stay safe everyone!
    You've got to laugh! She's actually never left, even during Hugo. She lives on James Island, so we'll see what happens with this one.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. Moderator

Hereís our situation. Monday a mandatory evac order was issued by the governor of SC, starting yesterday at noon. DH went and launched jets til 11:30am yesterday. We were ready to head out at noon and the evac order was canceled by the Governor and the Marine Corps at 11:50am. All other Marines that had left had to come home by today.

Today, it shifted, so around 11am, our sheriff said if you have not left, you should. We waited for word from the Governor and the Marine Corps. The Governor did not reissue an evac order, so the Marine Corps has now said you can go but itís on your own dime. Now the bases are on a 96 hour leave with the option to go, at your own expense, or stay.

We are staying. I prepped this past weekend, so already had supplies. We are on an island, surrounded by islands, with a storm surge concern. We literally live in the Low Country.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast