Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Florence

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    We arent allowed to board our windows. I did as much as I could to prep the house. We were mandatory evacuated so now we have to wait and see.

For a while we were right in the eye, but today it seems to have shifted some (we are still pretty damn close to the eye). I'm right next to a river, and a few miles from the beach, so I'm super concerned about flooding.
    That always blows my mind when property management won’t let people board the windows. Liiiiike you realize the roof could blow off right? You realize people could potentially die right? Do you have sandbags etc? I mean that’s not gonna do much if there’s a serious flood issue but it’s better than nothing just in case. Idk where you’d find them at this point though.

Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Here’s our situation. Monday a mandatory evac order was issued by the governor of SC, starting yesterday at noon. DH went and launched jets til 11:30am yesterday. We were ready to head out at noon and the evac order was canceled by the Governor and the Marine Corps at 11:50am. All other Marines that had left had to come home by today.

Today, it shifted, so around 11am, our sheriff said if you have not left, you should. We waited for word from the Governor and the Marine Corps. The Governor did not reissue an evac order, so the Marine Corps has now said you can go but it’s on your own dime. Now the bases are on a 96 hour leave with the option to go, at your own expense, or stay.

We are staying. I prepped this past weekend, so already had supplies. We are on an island, surrounded by islands, with a storm surge concern. We literally live in the Low Country.
    That’s totally insane to me that they’d make people leave and then also make them come home. What a huge waste of time.

I hope you guys stay safe, I’ll be thinking of you all. <3 hurricanes are so stressful.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Storm was downgraded to a Cat 2. Hopefully it continues to downgrade! How is everyone holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    We arent allowed to board our windows. I did as much as I could to prep the house. We were mandatory evacuated so now we have to wait and see.

For a while we were right in the eye, but today it seems to have shifted some (we are still pretty damn close to the eye). I'm right next to a river, and a few miles from the beach, so I'm super concerned about flooding.
    We weren't allowed to board ours either when Lane was expected to hit as a Cat 4. Makes absolutely no sense why they'd rather risk spending all the money in repairs instead of letting people spend their own money to board up.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12