Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Ermagerd, Erstrelia

  1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,224
    #1

    Ermagerd, Erstrelia

    Advertisements
    So, we...er, seem not to have a government right now.

    We have no real idea who the Prime Minister is at this moment, three quarters of the major players holding cabinet/administration roles have resigned in the space of two days, the guy who was LAST known to be Prime Minister has informed the world at large that he’s quite willing to blow a hole in the government as a last, glorious “go fuck yourself” to the members of his own party that tried to backstab him, the most likely replacement for the job of Prime Minister may or may not be legally able to do it...

    Australia has temporarily gone screaming gibberish insane. It’s a long story.

    With that in mind...if there was ever anything you wanted to know about this benighted hellhole 25 million people are wondering why they still bother with, this would be a good time to ask me. It would keep me from obsessively rechecking the ABC news updates to find out what the hell is happening now.


    Ask me about politics. Ask me about how the military here differs from there. Ask me about food. Ask me about the animals. Whatever you like.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  2. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,281
    Blog Entries
    2
    #2
    Would your country be willing to take Trump as a replacement?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,224
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Would your country be willing to take Trump as a replacement?
    Sure. We work under a variant of the Westminster parliamentary model, and that has some advantages when faced with someone like Donald Trump...

    - He’d be likely to run as an independent, or at most as part of a fairly minor, fringe party rather than as a member of one of the bigger ones. That limits the amount of influence he could have, and makes it notably less likely that he’d end up in a “front bench” role like Prime Minister. The nearest equivalent to Trump we have...he’s half Bob Katter and half Clive Palmer. Both were or are fairly fringe MPs.

    - If he DID somehow end up on the front bench as PM, the PM has no more individual power than any other member of the House of Representatives. No veto. No ability to sign (or refuse to sign) legislation into law. The Prime Minister is nominally the leading figure in the government, but if something is being discussed or voted on he’s still just one vote among a hundred and fifty.

    - If he became Prime Minister tomorrow, he’d be fired by September in any case It’s very, very easy to dislodge the Prime Minister if he does something he’s not allowed to do, or even if he just becomes unpopular. It’s been over a decade since we had a Prime Minister who served a full three year term! They keep getting knifed!


    There’s also the small matter of voting being compulsory, and by law being made as easy as possible for everyone to do. If you really don’t want to take part, you can cast a “donkey vote” (deliberately filling the ballot out wrong) or draw an enormous anatomically correct dick on your paper. That’s fine. But you must cast one. There’s no huge mass of people who just don’t turn up, and thus deliver the vote to someone who only appeals to a minority like Trump does.

    It’s unlikely he’d get in. If he got in, it’s unlikely he’d stay.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,068
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Would your country be willing to take Trump as a replacement?
    Ahahaha that's a cruel question.


    If I had 4 days in Australia to visit, what should I do/where should I go during that time to get the best overall experience of Australia?

    Do Australians get island fever? Or is it big enough that doesn't happen?

    Have you been to Tasmania?

    Do you guys get wildfires all over like California? I mean, one of our big issues is the eucalyptus tree groves burning and I've been told those were imported from Australia.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,224
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Ahahaha that's a cruel question.


    If I had 4 days in Australia to visit, what should I do/where should I go during that time to get the best overall experience of Australia?
    Four days really isn’t long enough to do anything. All you would have time for would be to pick a city and barely scratch the surface of that.


    Do Australians get island fever? Or is it big enough that doesn't happen?
    It doesn’t entirely look like it on the map because the Mercator Projection distorts things a little, but we’re not so much smaller than you are. Island fever is not really a problem

    That said, the isolation of being four hours away from everyone even by plane does have a kind of impact. Not island fever as such, but something. Australians love to travel. About a quarter of the entire population will fly out to go overseas in any given year, and almost everyone has a passport. It may only be a week in Bali or ten days in New Zealand, but we go. Taking a gap year between high school and whatever you want to do next, buying a cheap ticket, and using it to work in London or backpack Southeast Asia or do a ski season in Japan...that would be normal.

    Part of it is that so much of the population still has strong ties abroad anyway. Dual citizenship is common - both Husband and I have two passports. About a third of the population was born in another country, myself among them. If you expand it one generation further back to people who have at least one parent born overseas (Husband fits in here), it’s slightly over half. That’s a lot more than the US figures.


    Have you been to Tasmania?
    Yes. We had a holiday there this time last year.


    Do you guys get wildfires all over like California? I mean, one of our big issues is the eucalyptus tree groves burning and I've been told those were imported from Australia.
    Yes. Why do you think there are Australian firefighters over there now helping you cope with them?

    The north floods, the south burns. Often at the same time. The entire southeast corner in particular is one enormous tinder box waiting to go up - on days with particularly dangerous conditions they’ll put a “total fire ban” out, to avoid the risk of a stray spark causing something, and the air will have so much eucalyptus oil/vapour floating in it that the horizon will permanently be slightly blue and shimmering. Sometimes the trees spontaneously explode, and it spreads in a fireball and jumps from tree to tree through the vapour in the air. If you want to see an Australian face turn as white as a sheet, let them catch you playing with matches on a dry day with one of those filthy hot north winds blowing in...

    We have quite bad fires burning in parts of New South Wales right now, months too early.

    Many of our native species - including most of the eucalyptus - need fire. They’re filled with oil, they drop those long ragged strips of loose bark because the gumnuts with the seeds inside need to be burned before they can crack open to grow.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,281
    Blog Entries
    2
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Sure. We work under a variant of the Westminster parliamentary model, and that has some advantages when faced with someone like Donald Trump...

    - He’d be likely to run as an independent, or at most as part of a fairly minor, fringe party rather than as a member of one of the bigger ones. That limits the amount of influence he could have, and makes it notably less likely that he’d end up in a “front bench” role like Prime Minister. The nearest equivalent to Trump we have...he’s half Bob Katter and half Clive Palmer. Both were or are fairly fringe MPs.

    - If he DID somehow end up on the front bench as PM, the PM has no more individual power than any other member of the House of Representatives. No veto. No ability to sign (or refuse to sign) legislation into law. The Prime Minister is nominally the leading figure in the government, but if something is being discussed or voted on he’s still just one vote among a hundred and fifty.

    - If he became Prime Minister tomorrow, he’d be fired by September in any case It’s very, very easy to dislodge the Prime Minister if he does something he’s not allowed to do, or even if he just becomes unpopular. It’s been over a decade since we had a Prime Minister who served a full three year term! They keep getting knifed!


    There’s also the small matter of voting being compulsory, and by law being made as easy as possible for everyone to do. If you really don’t want to take part, you can cast a “donkey vote” (deliberately filling the ballot out wrong) or draw an enormous anatomically correct dick on your paper. That’s fine. But you must cast one. There’s no huge mass of people who just don’t turn up, and thus deliver the vote to someone who only appeals to a minority like Trump does.

    It’s unlikely he’d get in. If he got in, it’s unlikely he’d stay.
    This is the problem with voting! too many people are too stupid to be allowed to vote. yet we encourage them to vote anyways!
    And when are we going to see a pic of you and your cat!? or dog. or motorcycle!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,224
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    This is the problem with voting! too many people are too stupid to be allowed to vote. yet we encourage them to vote anyways!
    And when are we going to see a pic of you and your cat!? or dog. or motorcycle!
    If I wanted to post pictures of random things in my world, I’d be doing Picture Girl.

    That said, should I ever manage to take a picture of myself that doesn’t look downright moronic, you might get lucky. Patience, my heart.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  8. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,281
    Blog Entries
    2
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    If I wanted to post pictures of random things in my world, I’d be doing Picture Girl.

    That said, should I ever manage to take a picture of myself that doesn’t look downright moronic, you might get lucky. Patience, my heart.
    Oh, I rarely, if ever, get lucky. Especially when it comes to red heads with exotic accents from far away countries. But moronic is fine.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,224
    #9


    It's very, very rare that I hear someone who isn't Australian mimic an Australian accent properly!
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. Regular Member
    valleygirl17's Avatar
    valleygirl17 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Him: still in Japan, Me: Mitcham,AU
    Posts
    57
    #10
    I came to Australia back in 2007 and still don’t have that cute Aussie accents.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •