Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Do onions make you cry?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 79.17%
  • No

6 25.00%
  • I cry rainbows

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resolve a Work Discussion

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    I think someone once told me that there was a certain way to cut them so it didn't make you cry? Is that a thing?

I always just buy the pre-chopped onions cause I'm very lazy
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    LMAO
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I don’t.
    Though, I do cry when I chop jalapeños and touch my eyeballs after.
    Once upon a time I cut up a jalapeno, washed my hands thoroughly (or so I thought), and hours later took my contacts out. I was convinced I poisoned myself haha I looked like death for a good 12 hours!

I feel like it depends on the onion for me. I've cut onions before that have had my whole face running, and other times it's never a problem. I have heard goggles work though!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    Lmaooooo

I usually don’t have an issue, occasionally my eyes sting a little but that’s all. It’s worse when I’m wearing glasses instead of contacts.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    I don’t.
    Though, I do cry when I chop jalapeños and touch my eyeballs after.
    Yeah, don't do that.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Love7 View Post
    I think someone once told me that there was a certain way to cut them so it didn't make you cry? Is that a thing?

I always just buy the pre-chopped onions cause I'm very lazy
    There is a “correct” way to dice onions.

It makes most people cry less (Petal doesn’t count, apparently...she’s a sweetheart, but this is absurd) and it means you can chop them quickly and evenly, so it’s the preferred method.

- Chop off the top, but leave the root intact at the base. Chop in half, and take the skin off.

- Make horizontal cuts through the half of the onion you’re using, stopping just short of the root

- Make vertical cuts. You’ll get nice even little cubes, leaving the root on means the onion holds together a little better so you can do it faster and it won’t “bleed” to irritate your eyes nearly as much.

A sharp knife and being able to work quickly also helps, because you’re not exposed to as much of the irritant. I’ll show you a video if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine8790 View Post
    Once upon a time I cut up a jalapeno, washed my hands thoroughly (or so I thought), and hours later took my contacts out. I was convinced I poisoned myself haha I looked like death for a good 12 hours!

I feel like it depends on the onion for me. I've cut onions before that have had my whole face running, and other times it's never a problem. I have heard goggles work though!
    I have never, not ever in my entire life, heard a more bloodcurdling scream than the time my friend Jos was working with hot peppers, chose not to wear gloves, forgot to wash his hands properly and then disappeared into the bathroom...

Washing your hands properly is the first thing we’re taught. We scrub ourselves nearly raw, it’s done so much. This is one of the reasons why. Poor Josi.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  7. Senior Member
    I rarely get teary while cutting onions and have never actually cried from it. It hasn't happened at all since my husband bought me nice knives though!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Yep! I've tried every trick. Cold, sunglasses, chopping certain ways, etc.
    Those Cutco knives that damn near take your finger off without you even noticing that you're bleeding at first. So not chef level I guess, but super 'home chef' level sharp.

But honestly, I think I'm just a petal too lol.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Those Cutco knives that damn near take your finger off without you even noticing that you're bleeding at first. So not chef level I guess, but super 'home chef' level sharp.

But honestly, I think I'm just a petal too lol.
    You’re using Cutco? Then I think I see the problem - that slightly serrated “double D edge” they sell.

Onions make you cry because when you cut them you’re breaking down cell walls and letting out an irritating compound. The clumsier your cuts are - whether because your knives are blunt, or because you don’t know what you’re doing yet, or whatever reason - the more walls you tear down, and the more of that compound bleeds out to annoy your eyes. A serrated edge isn’t inherently clumsy, but it has the same tearing effect.

You might be a petal too, of course, but I bet your knives are contributing.

Please note, I LIKE my Petal. She’s a sweet girl, and she’s learning. She’s just also...squishy and vulnerable in funny ways.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Yes I cry. I also wear my fume-safe goggles left over from organic chemistry lab in college and I still cry sometimes.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast