Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Itís That Time Again

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    So many grinches. Don't worry you'll be converted.
  2. Regular Member
    I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC! The late fall/winter holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) are my favorite time of year. I soak all of it up -- music, decorations, cheesy Hallmark movies, the whole 9 yards. After my finals are over I'm going to treat myself by watching A Christmas Prince on Netflix, which has consistently been reviewed as a so-bad-it's-good B list Christmas movie. I can't wait I just made a Christmas mix for DB while he's overseas, and I listen to my huge Christmas playlist every day walking to the library, so my head is buzzing with Christmas songs right now. So y'all get a list of songs from me, lmao.

My favorite song is probably Josh Groban's version of "Ave Maria." His voice is just so beautiful. I also love love love Pentatonix's cover of "White Winter Hymnal," it's literally the only song I like by them. I'm going to count the Nutcracker as Christmas music and put the Pas de Deux on my favorites list too. "Thank God It's Christmas" is great too, but I'm biased because Queen's my favorite band. And Carole King's version of "This Christmas!" It's just so joyful!

One I don't like is "My Favorite Things." I don't understand why people record it for Christmas albums. I like it in the Sound of Music, but it's not a Christmas song!!! Stop playing it!
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    So many grinches. Don't worry you'll be converted.
    Don't fret. The grinches have plenty of songs.

I'll admit that this IS on my Christmas playlist alongside the "normal" ones
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  4. Moderator

I'm obsessed with Christmas, but not a fan of the vast majority of pop Christmas music. I love most spiritual Christmas music; classical, choral, instrumental, all good. I don't mind some of the secular stuff done by a good classical or jazz ensemble either. I hate almost anything involving Santa.

My mom is a composer and all my favorite Christmas songs are hers.

ETA: I also think Pentatonix is suuuuuuuuuuuuper overrated and I would love to see them on my Facebook feed less.
  5. Senior Member
    I have Facebook friends that start the countdown to Christmas the day after Christmas. It drives me batty to the point where I blocked them from my newsfeed. You are adults the same damn age as me and you don't have kids, so cool your jets, ffs! Same people also start posting Christmas music in July. Removing that exposure to insanity makes me appreciate Christmas music that much more....

I don't really have any particular dislike of any Christmassy song (I guess I'm not too fond of pop Christmas music), but I think my favorites include Handel's Messiah and Silent Night. I'll start listening to that sort of thing after Thanksgiving.
    I live dangerously - I drink whiskey while knitting.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _andimcosette View Post
    I LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC! The late fall/winter holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) are my favorite time of year. I soak all of it up -- music, decorations, cheesy Hallmark movies, the whole 9 yards. After my finals are over I'm going to treat myself by watching A Christmas Prince on Netflix, which has consistently been reviewed as a so-bad-it's-good B list Christmas movie. I can't wait I just made a Christmas mix for DB while he's overseas, and I listen to my huge Christmas playlist every day walking to the library, so my head is buzzing with Christmas songs right now. So y'all get a list of songs from me, lmao.

My favorite song is probably Josh Groban's version of "Ave Maria." His voice is just so beautiful. I also love love love Pentatonix's cover of "White Winter Hymnal," it's literally the only song I like by them. I'm going to count the Nutcracker as Christmas music and put the Pas de Deux on my favorites list too. "Thank God It's Christmas" is great too, but I'm biased because Queen's my favorite band. And Carole King's version of "This Christmas!" It's just so joyful!

One I don't like is "My Favorite Things." I don't understand why people record it for Christmas albums. I like it in the Sound of Music, but it's not a Christmas song!!! Stop playing it!
    I liked A Christmas Prince I wanted something Christmas related playing on the TV just for noise while I cleaned the house, but I ended up sitting down and watching the whole thing. It was cheesy and predictable as a Hallmark style movie is, but I enjoyed it. A lot of Hallmark movies are so cheesy it makes me cringe a little, but this wasn't bad.

I also agree about My Favorite Things. I was just ranting to DH yesterday that it is not a Christmas song and I don't understand why nearly everyone treats it as one.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post

ETA: I also think Pentatonix is suuuuuuuuuuuuper overrated and I would love to see them on my Facebook feed less.
    Yes I agree!! I like a cappella but I think 5 of them is too few to create a well rounded sound without a lot of editing in post-production. Like they're just not great live is my only gripe. Plus now that Avi's gone they're no where near as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    I liked A Christmas Prince I wanted something Christmas related playing on the TV just for noise while I cleaned the house, but I ended up sitting down and watching the whole thing. It was cheesy and predictable as a Hallmark style movie is, but I enjoyed it. A lot of Hallmark movies are so cheesy it makes me cringe a little, but this wasn't bad.

I also agree about My Favorite Things. I was just ranting to DH yesterday that it is not a Christmas song and I don't understand why nearly everyone treats it as one.
    I love cheesy Hallmark style movies! I like putting something on that I don't have to pay a lot of attention to when I bake, and usually I have on Gilmore Girls, but during Christmas it's usually the Hallmark channel so I can watch the cheesy Christmas movies. I know a lot of people on Twitter liked it for it's cheesiness, so maybe A Christmas Prince will surprise me!

I think people interpret the "favorite things" in the song as being gifts and that's what makes it Christmas-y? Even though if you've seen TSOM you know that's not what the favorite things are
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by _andimcosette View Post
    Yes I agree!! I like a cappella but I think 5 of them is too few to create a well rounded sound without a lot of editing in post-production. Like they're just not great live is my only gripe. Plus now that Avi's gone they're no where near as good.

I love cheesy Hallmark style movies! I like putting something on that I don't have to pay a lot of attention to when I bake, and usually I have on Gilmore Girls, but during Christmas it's usually the Hallmark channel so I can watch the cheesy Christmas movies. I know a lot of people on Twitter liked it for it's cheesiness, so maybe A Christmas Prince will surprise me!

I think people interpret the "favorite things" in the song as being gifts and that's what makes it Christmas-y? Even though if you've seen TSOM you know that's not what the favorite things are
    Rockapella has a great Christmas album!

I think Favorite Things is on the Christmas playlists because of snowflakes on noses/lashes, brown paper packages tied up with strings, sleighbells, crisp apple strudels, and silver-white winters. I feel like winter imagery sticks with people more than spring imagery so maybe that's what they remember most from it? I don't know... I can see it as a Thanksgiving song, sure! But not so much Christmas.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12