Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Help me plan a trip

  1. So lost and wandering.
    Icryinbaseball's Avatar
    Icryinbaseball is offline
    So lost and wandering.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Lewis WA
    Posts
    5,563
    #1

    Help me plan a trip

    Advertisements
    Me and the hubby are celebrating 15 years of marriage at the beginning of 2018. For those who have known me for a while know how that is a big deal given everything that has happened. We are looking to do a nice trip for just the 2 of us. I have a list of places I am interested in. I know there is hundreds of places, But I am looking for input on where people have been or would love to go. I am open to any and all ideas. So tell me where you would go for a week (6 days technically) in a time frame between the end of Feb all the way into the end of March. Budget is an issue but not an issue at the same time. Meaning we can splurge but not go crazy. The specs are


    CONUS
    Looking to spend no more than $6,000 for everything (airfare, lodging, activities, food)
    We enjoy a good mix of city life and cabin camping (somewhere we can achieve both is a bonus but not a requirement)
    We are both broken, so we cant do a lot of physically demanding things
    He likes outdoorsy (I am more than willing to sit in a room while he does his thing for a day)
    We arent big spenders but love to window shop
    He enjoys spa type treatments, and I dont allow people to touch me (I am more than willing to sit there while he gets a treatment)
    We love baseball so somewhere with a baseball team would be amazing
    No Disney or Universal
    We arent gamblers so casinos are not a must
    We love museums and art galleries
    Neither one of us is into the night life scene
    He drinks wine and beer and loves trying new varieties
    We are not foodies and can eat food trucks or quick service 3 meals a day so no fancy dining required
    Places we have been or lived already are Nashville, Seattle, Hollywood, VA Beach, Myrtle Beach, Portland, Memphis, OKC, and Atlanta
    We live in Texas and can take a day/weekend trip anywhere here, so nothing in Texas
    would love East Coast or New England but that is off season

    Places I have on the list (please give me some pros and cons on these)
    NYC
    Boston
    Chicago
    San Francisco
    DC
    Philadelphia
    Salt Lake City


    HELP!!!! I need a destination so I can start planning!
  2. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #2
    I have been to both NYC and Chicago and I think both of those more than meet your requirements, plus add some 'touristy-everyone-should-do-it-once' appeal to your trip. The museums cannot be beat and even for non-foodies, the food is amazing. Plus there is just so much to do you can really get a good itinerary before you even head out so you don't skip the important things to you.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    AMP1984's Avatar
    AMP1984 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    378
    #3
    I personally didn't really like NYC when I went there. I've been to Chicago many times when I lived in northern WI, it wouldn't get my vote either.

    I haven't been to any of the other places on your list. We went to Cali for pre-deployment but we were in San Jose, we didn't make the drive to San Francisco. My best friend from college went though and she LOVED it, said it's her favorite place. That would be my vote. But I also have a lot of friends who have been to Salt Lake and they really enjoyed it.

    I am sure whatever you pick will be amazing! In my experience who you go with is more important than where you go
  4. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,330
    #4
    San Francisco is great, but is hilly with a lot of walking.
    NYC is cool too, I like how you can go anywhere on a subway! Also, GREAT people watching.

    Have you considered New Orleans?
  5. So lost and wandering.
    Icryinbaseball's Avatar
    Icryinbaseball is offline
    So lost and wandering.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Lewis WA
    Posts
    5,563
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I have been to both NYC and Chicago and I think both of those more than meet your requirements, plus add some 'touristy-everyone-should-do-it-once' appeal to your trip. The museums cannot be beat and even for non-foodies, the food is amazing. Plus there is just so much to do you can really get a good itinerary before you even head out so you don't skip the important things to you.
    Chicago was my first choice. My niece just went and her pictures make me jealous. NYC is there but not really my first choice. I dont think he would like it since his ptsd triggers so easily. I want to go based on the museums and food alone!


    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I personally didn't really like NYC when I went there. I've been to Chicago many times when I lived in northern WI, it wouldn't get my vote either.

    I haven't been to any of the other places on your list. We went to Cali for pre-deployment but we were in San Jose, we didn't make the drive to San Francisco. My best friend from college went though and she LOVED it, said it's her favorite place. That would be my vote. But I also have a lot of friends who have been to Salt Lake and they really enjoyed it.

    I am sure whatever you pick will be amazing! In my experience who you go with is more important than where you go
    We drove through San Francisco on our way home from WA. We both wished we could have spent more time there. I dont think NYC would get his vote either. He would go with chicago if I suggested it because I have always wanted to go there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    San Francisco is great, but is hilly with a lot of walking.
    NYC is cool too, I like how you can go anywhere on a subway! Also, GREAT people watching.

    Have you considered New Orleans?
    Yeah I remember the hilly walk. That is rough on both of us. Walking is fine. Stairs, hills, and rough terrain are bad for both of us. Yes we actually have considered NO and it isnt off the table either. We can drive there. He grew up going there. And I have never been. I am not sure we could kill 6 days there though.
  6. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #6
    I love DC! And the smithsonian museums are all free, that'll help the budget. Boston would be my second choice (for the history), followed by NYC. I've never been to either place but Boston appeals to me more.

    Chicago was fun when I went and I'm probably going again in a few months to check out the museums, but idk it didn't feel worthy of a vacation to me. I enjoyed it but the only reason I'm going back is because my bf's parents live an hour away. It'll probably be really cold in February too, although I guess all your listed options will be.
  7. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #7
    If you wanted to stick to the list I have been everywhere except for SLC and San Francisco so I can't speak to those, but I absolutely want to visit SF one day. Chicago and Boston were my faves and I'd go to either at any time, DC and Philly sucked IMO. I'm not at all a big city person, so NYC is too overwhelming/loud for me (but I find Chicago and Boston much more manageable, props to amazing public transportation and not being as giant), DC is too expensive and the people sort of suck. Having lived there I don't care to go back (but to be fair, it can be fun to visit all the monuments and museums if you've never been before, especially the free Smithsonians, but it is a lot and things like parking really do add up even if you stay outside of the city at a hotel), Philly is dirty and tbh I have been underwhelmed every time I've gone. Chicago and Boston will be cold as balls during the timeframe you're looking at.

    Not on the list but want to suggest Asheville, NC. I just love it - it's the perfect size city and you could drive about 20 minutes outside and totally get your cabin on if you wanted to feel secluded and take in some mountain views in the morning. You could drive into Asheville during the day you can go explore the many wonderful and seemingly endless number of breweries, window shop downtown, go through Blowing Rock/Blue Ridge Parkway (really nice for a scenic mountain drive if you're not up for a hike!), or go to somewhere like the Biltmore and splurge on a fancy spa treatment or a wine tasting. The food scene is incredible, even if you're not a big foodie it's amazing because there's just such diversity and a lot of focus on farm to table and sustainable food (which I personally think is hella cool), a lot of breweries, and even a lot of interesting vegetarian options if you want to try something different. If you're into chocolate you would obviously have to go to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge for a tour and to stuff your face with delicious goodies. There are also a good number of cool museums and funky things to do like the aSHEville museum (women's cultural museum), Pinball Museum (yup), Biltmore, a science museum, etc. They do have a baseball team but I don't sport so I can't help you with that part
  8. So lost and wandering.
    Icryinbaseball's Avatar
    Icryinbaseball is offline
    So lost and wandering.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Lewis WA
    Posts
    5,563
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I love DC! And the smithsonian museums are all free, that'll help the budget. Boston would be my second choice (for the history), followed by NYC. I've never been to either place but Boston appeals to me more.

    Chicago was fun when I went and I'm probably going again in a few months to check out the museums, but idk it didn't feel worthy of a vacation to me. I enjoyed it but the only reason I'm going back is because my bf's parents live an hour away. It'll probably be really cold in February too, although I guess all your listed options will be.
    DC is high on his list. And only hours from his sister and brother so we could see them. I want to go to Fenway so bad. Like bucket list bad. But not really enough to make that focal point of the trip. And yes the cold is going to be an issue. That is why we will most likely push it into the end of March and just maybe in April.
  9. Wine-o
    brahette's Avatar
    brahette is offline
    Wine-o
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    2,792
    #9
    Feb/March timeframe can equal a ton of snow in all of your cities listed except for San Fran and SLC.

    I'm partial to DC and Philly since I've lived in both places, and Chicago is another one of my favorite cities. Philly is actually very compact so would be good if you couldn't walk around much. But all the cities have bus tours and whatnot. Philly's transit within Center City is fine, it gets worse the further out you go, and DC metro is pretty comprehensive and easy to use. Philly has a ton of historical sights whereas DC has the [FREE!] Smithsonians. Both the Phillies and that Nats are very popular among locals, but 2018 season is starting at the very end of March so you prob wouldn't be able to get a game in. Both Southeastern PA and Northern VA have a TON of wineries to check out and Philly has quite a few notable breweries as well. Food truck scene in DC is amazing (way better than Philly, IMO).

    So obvi I'm Team DC or Philly, my biggest concern would be the weather. Last year in DC it was VERY mild and we only got one minor snowstorm. But a few years ago in Philly, it was the third largest snowstorm on record... in March! Basically shut down the entire city. So it's really hit or miss.
    ~Becca~


  10. So lost and wandering.
    Icryinbaseball's Avatar
    Icryinbaseball is offline
    So lost and wandering.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Lewis WA
    Posts
    5,563
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    If you wanted to stick to the list I have been everywhere except for SLC and San Francisco so I can't speak to those, but I absolutely want to visit SF one day. Chicago and Boston were my faves and I'd go to either at any time, DC and Philly sucked IMO. I'm not at all a big city person, so NYC is too overwhelming/loud for me (but I find Chicago and Boston much more manageable, props to amazing public transportation), DC is too expensive and having lived there I don't care to go back (but to be fair, it can be fun to visit all the monuments and museums, but it is a lot!), Philly is dirty and tbh I have been underwhelmed every time I've gone.

    Not on the list but want to suggest Asheville, NC. I just love it - it's the perfect size city and you could drive about 20 minutes outside and totally get your cabin on if you wanted to feel secluded and take in some mountain views in the morning. You could drive into Asheville during the day you can go explore the many wonderful and seemingly endless number of breweries, window shop downtown, go through Blowing Rock/Blue Ridge Parkway (really nice for a scenic mountain drive if you're not up for a hike!), or go to somewhere like the Biltmore and splurge on a fancy spa treatment or a wine tasting. The food scene is incredible, even if you're not a big foodie it's amazing because there's just such diversity and a lot of focus on farm to table and sustainable food (which I personally think is hella cool), a lot of breweries, and even a lot of interesting vegetarian options if you want to try something different. If you're into chocolate you would obviously have to go to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge for a tour and to stuff your face with delicious goodies. There are also a good number of cool museums and funky things to do like the aSHEville museum (women's cultural museum), Pinball Museum (yup), Biltmore, a science museum, etc. They do have a baseball team but I don't sport so I can't help you with that part

    I dont have to stick to the list. And I had forgotten about Asheville! The Smokey Mountains are one of our favorites. I had Pigeon Forge on the list but I am not sure how much the area will be back on their feet after the fires. Adding it to the list right now.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •