Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan a trip

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    Yeah it can. I am sure since we are starting now we can juggle schedules enough to push it into May.

Airfare costs and passports being the main thing keeping us back. That is why we arent even aiming for Hawaii or Alaska. For our 20th we are going to do something out of country if possible.
    If you don't have passports I can see that holding you back from Montreal, but airfare from Newark to Montreal is only about $200 per person roundtrip! Montreal is one of my favorite places in Canada, that and Vancouver (on the other side), I was born and raised in Ottawa ON Canada so Montreal was a train ride away and we used to go frequently, shopping is amazing too! (don't rent a car though, driving in Montreal is crazy, use trains/walk/cab, at least that's what I always did, I wasn't brave enough to drive there!)
  2. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
    Salt Lake City!

People don't understand how beautiful this place is.
    Park city is 15 minutes up the canyon and then just a few hours south you can see moab and zions.
    In all of my travels I have for some reason never been to Utah. When I do the "where have you been" maps it sits all alone unmarked. So much to see and do.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    If you go to Boston or Montreal can I live vicariously through you?
    I am pretty boring. LOL. I am sure I wont do anything overly exciting no matter where I wind up.

Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    If you don't have passports I can see that holding you back from Montreal, but airfare from Newark to Montreal is only about $200 per person roundtrip! Montreal is one of my favorite places in Canada, that and Vancouver (on the other side), I was born and raised in Ottawa ON Canada so Montreal was a train ride away and we used to go frequently, shopping is amazing too! (don't rent a car though, driving in Montreal is crazy, use trains/walk/cab, at least that's what I always did, I wasn't brave enough to drive there!)
    The flights from Dallas to Montreal are from $380-$460. I just looked it up. Passports arent that much. And I am checking at the overall cost. So I will add it and crunch some numbers. It is beautiful up there. We went to Ontario when we lived at Fort Drum. We loved it.
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    In all of my travels I have for some reason never been to Utah. When I do the "where have you been" maps it sits all alone unmarked. So much to see and do.

I am pretty boring. LOL. I am sure I wont do anything overly exciting no matter where I wind up.

The flights from Dallas to Montreal are from $380-$460. I just looked it up. Passports arent that much. And I am checking at the overall cost. So I will add it and crunch some numbers. It is beautiful up there. We went to Ontario when we lived at Fort Drum. We loved it.
    Do it! Google Moab and you will diiiiiiiiie. So amazing.

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Does your state do Real ID licenses? If so, that's another option - they can be used in lieu of passports to go into Canada.
    ~Becca~

5. Senior Member
    I've been to NYC, Philly, DC, and Boston all multiple times. I love them all for different reasons, but particularly Boston because I lived only 20 miles away in historical Lexington/Concord for 3 years. My vote is Boston because you can take so many day trips out of the city: Salem, the mountains in NH, Vermont, Maine, CT, etc. are all within a couple of hours. The list of things to do is endless. But, expect snow in February and March. Personally, if you choose Boston then I'd push your trip back to May if possible because that's when the flowers on the trees begin to bloom.

6. Regular Member
    I've lived in NYC and Philly, visited DC and Boston a ton, and I wouldn't recommend any of them during the Feb-March time frame. I think we're in for a rough winter in the northeast this year, and as another poster said, a snowstorm/otherwise lousy weather can straight up ruin a vacation. Montreal is one of the best places I've ever been, but I wouldn't recommend going sooner than late April. Have you considered Napa/Sonoma? Also, Charleston can be on the pricier side, but has the weather advantage and lots of history.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I love vacationing in Chicago but I think the weather can be a dealbreaker. February in Chicago is rough ... we were there in December and we were fine but we're big walkers and I was still so cold! If you're not up for walking around it can get pretty expensive cabbing it everywhere. There's so much culture (museums, art galleries, the ballet, etc.) but it can be kind of spread out too. Even the museum campus is a lot of walking, and when it's cold and slippery out it kinda sucks. In terms of baseball ... Feb/Mar is the off season and I think spring training is only in FL or AZ. So that may not come into play when you're narrowing down your list.

We just came back from the Keys so I feel like recommending it but I don't know if it really fits the bill. There's definitely a ton of museums, art, spas, walking, outdoors etc but it's also kinda pricey. Also Duvall gets a little cray at night but it was easy enough for us to avoid. We are beach people so we loved it but it's not for everyone.
  8. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    +1 for Ashville! I went there for a conference and DH & I still talk about the amazing farm to table food and great beer! I miss me some Mellow Mushroom too.
  9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Thanks for the input guys. I considering pushing it into fall so I can see New England in the fall.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks for the input guys. I considering pushing it into fall so I can see New England in the fall.
    ooo if you do that go in October and drive the Kancamagus Highway in NH!! It's gorgeous! It's only about 2.5 hrs north of Boston so you def hit up both in a week!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast