Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan a trip

1. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Feb/March timeframe can equal a ton of snow in all of your cities listed except for San Fran and SLC.

I'm partial to DC and Philly since I've lived in both places, and Chicago is another one of my favorite cities. Philly is actually very compact so would be good if you couldn't walk around much. But all the cities have bus tours and whatnot. Philly's transit within Center City is fine, it gets worse the further out you go, and DC metro is pretty comprehensive and easy to use. Philly has a ton of historical sights whereas DC has the [FREE!] Smithsonians. Both the Phillies and that Nats are very popular among locals, but 2018 season is starting at the very end of March so you prob wouldn't be able to get a game in. Both Southeastern PA and Northern VA have a TON of wineries to check out and Philly has quite a few notable breweries as well. Food truck scene in DC is amazing (way better than Philly, IMO).

So obvi I'm Team DC or Philly, my biggest concern would be the weather. Last year in DC it was VERY mild and we only got one minor snowstorm. But a few years ago in Philly, it was the third largest snowstorm on record... in March! Basically shut down the entire city. So it's really hit or miss.
    Yes the weather is making this hard. We might be able to push into April. After that we are so busy with school and work. ACK!
  2. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    Yes the weather is making this hard. We might be able to push into April. After that we are so busy with school and work. ACK!
    If you're set on one of the colder cities, I'd def try to push it further if you can. The weather can totally ruin a vacation to those places.
    ~Becca~

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    If you wanted to stick to the list I have been everywhere except for SLC and San Francisco so I can't speak to those, but I absolutely want to visit SF one day. Chicago and Boston were my faves and I'd go to either at any time, DC and Philly sucked IMO. I'm not at all a big city person, so NYC is too overwhelming/loud for me (but I find Chicago and Boston much more manageable, props to amazing public transportation and not being as giant), DC is too expensive and the people sort of suck. Having lived there I don't care to go back (but to be fair, it can be fun to visit all the monuments and museums if you've never been before, especially the free Smithsonians, but it is a lot and things like parking really do add up even if you stay outside of the city at a hotel), Philly is dirty and tbh I have been underwhelmed every time I've gone. Chicago and Boston will be cold as balls during the timeframe you're looking at.

Not on the list but want to suggest Asheville, NC. I just love it - it's the perfect size city and you could drive about 20 minutes outside and totally get your cabin on if you wanted to feel secluded and take in some mountain views in the morning. You could drive into Asheville during the day you can go explore the many wonderful and seemingly endless number of breweries, window shop downtown, go through Blowing Rock/Blue Ridge Parkway (really nice for a scenic mountain drive if you're not up for a hike!), or go to somewhere like the Biltmore and splurge on a fancy spa treatment or a wine tasting. The food scene is incredible, even if you're not a big foodie it's amazing because there's just such diversity and a lot of focus on farm to table and sustainable food (which I personally think is hella cool), a lot of breweries, and even a lot of interesting vegetarian options if you want to try something different. If you're into chocolate you would obviously have to go to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge for a tour and to stuff your face with delicious goodies. There are also a good number of cool museums and funky things to do like the aSHEville museum (women's cultural museum), Pinball Museum (yup), Biltmore, a science museum, etc. They do have a baseball team but I don't sport so I can't help you with that part
    Oh Ashville!!!!!!
    My cousin lives there and it is beautiful!!!
    We arrived in time for a random drum circle? It was definitely cool
  4. Senior Member
    Montreal. They call it the "poor man's Paris" then you can take the train to Quebec City and stay in the ice hotel. If you're aiming for cold in February, this will do it. The dollar is to your advantage and there is just so much to see and do in both of those places. Do you have passports? Is there a particular reason you want to stay in the US?
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Oh Ashville!!!!!!
    My cousin lives there and it is beautiful!!!
    We arrived in time for a random drum circle? It was definitely cool
    hahah YES! That is Asheville summarized in the best way possible. You'll be surprised by the best things, whether it's a pop-up market or a drum circle or crazy yoga in a park somewhere! The people there really make it so unique and fun.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    If you wanted to stick to the list I have been everywhere except for SLC and San Francisco so I can't speak to those, but I absolutely want to visit SF one day. Chicago and Boston were my faves and I'd go to either at any time, DC and Philly sucked IMO. I'm not at all a big city person, so NYC is too overwhelming/loud for me (but I find Chicago and Boston much more manageable, props to amazing public transportation and not being as giant), DC is too expensive and the people sort of suck. Having lived there I don't care to go back (but to be fair, it can be fun to visit all the monuments and museums if you've never been before, especially the free Smithsonians, but it is a lot and things like parking really do add up even if you stay outside of the city at a hotel), Philly is dirty and tbh I have been underwhelmed every time I've gone. Chicago and Boston will be cold as balls during the timeframe you're looking at.

Not on the list but want to suggest Asheville, NC. I just love it - it's the perfect size city and you could drive about 20 minutes outside and totally get your cabin on if you wanted to feel secluded and take in some mountain views in the morning. You could drive into Asheville during the day you can go explore the many wonderful and seemingly endless number of breweries, window shop downtown, go through Blowing Rock/Blue Ridge Parkway (really nice for a scenic mountain drive if you're not up for a hike!), or go to somewhere like the Biltmore and splurge on a fancy spa treatment or a wine tasting. The food scene is incredible, even if you're not a big foodie it's amazing because there's just such diversity and a lot of focus on farm to table and sustainable food (which I personally think is hella cool), a lot of breweries, and even a lot of interesting vegetarian options if you want to try something different. If you're into chocolate you would obviously have to go to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge for a tour and to stuff your face with delicious goodies. There are also a good number of cool museums and funky things to do like the aSHEville museum (women's cultural museum), Pinball Museum (yup), Biltmore, a science museum, etc. They do have a baseball team but I don't sport so I can't help you with that part
    I second Asheville! Theres lots to do there. It does have a hippie vibe though. You can rent a cabin, theres a brewery downtown, Orange Peel has some great concerts, Biltmore House is beautiful and has a winery and some great restaurants. Theres also the Omni Grove Park Inn thats in Asheville that has a great spa, but is a little pricey. You are treated like royalty there.
  7. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    If you're set on one of the colder cities, I'd def try to push it further if you can. The weather can totally ruin a vacation to those places.
    Yeah it can. I am sure since we are starting now we can juggle schedules enough to push it into May.

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Montreal. They call it the "poor man's Paris" then you can take the train to Quebec City and stay in the ice hotel. If you're aiming for cold in February, this will do it. The dollar is to your advantage and there is just so much to see and do in both of those places. Do you have passports? Is there a particular reason you want to stay in the US?
    Airfare costs and passports being the main thing keeping us back. That is why we arent even aiming for Hawaii or Alaska. For our 20th we are going to do something out of country if possible.
  8. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Asheville is sounding amazing right now. I have a friend there that could help us find stuff.
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Salt Lake City!

People don't understand how beautiful this place is.
    Park city is 15 minutes up the canyon and then just a few hours south you can see moab and zions.

life's a party, rock your body
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If you go to Boston or Montreal can I live vicariously through you?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast