Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: No good mantras exist

1. Regular Member

No good mantras exist

Advertisements
    While looking for some language for an anniversary gift I searched for some positive deployment statements and found lots-- some I posted below.
    Since not all the days/nights are bad, for those that have survived SO deployments, what have been some of the "UP" sides for YOUR relationship (and for you) that have resulted from the deployments?

What do you think of the below statements? Are any of these your mantra?

1) Our love is deployment strong

2) Live like he deploys tomorrow.

3) You will never hold someone as tightly as you hold them they day they leave & the day they come back home.

4) A deployment has just one redeeming quality it allows you to experience your first kiss for the second time

5) Distance does to love what wind does to fire - it extinguishes the weak and fuels the strong.

6) If you miss someone it means you are lucky. It means you have someone special in your life, someone worthy of missing.

And my favorite (just for today) that isn't so positive...
    Foxtrot
    Uniform
    Charlie
    Kilo
    Deployments.
    Last edited by LifeHappens; 11-20-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: gave up...
  2. Senior Member
    All of those feel way, way too cheesy for me, personally.
    I do think deployments give me time to set and work toward personal grows, to put extra effort into friendships and family relationships. I try to use the time wisely and productively, rather than simply treading water until he gets back, which means I'm usually better, stronger, smarter, healthier, and more grounded when he returns.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member

Suspicious ugh

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    All of those feel way, way too cheesy for me, personally.
    I do think deployments give me time to set and work toward personal grows, to put extra effort into friendships and family relationships. I try to use the time wisely and productively, rather than simply treading water until he gets back, which means I'm usually better, stronger, smarter, healthier, and more grounded when he returns.

On a sweet and sappy day I can read a couple of those and go "ahhhhh, how sweet". Some day(s) I can... seriously.
    On another day I have to wonder -- who writes this stuff? It seems the deployment card writers only see this from the side of the person gone, those of us left behind are frozen in time. For me, while the separation sucks it is something we do together, not what is done to me. We chose this, when we chose us.

On a night like tonight.... when I am already grieving (unrelated reasons)... and when I haven't been able to verify my DH's safety in longer than normal and as a result have not slept in 42 hours and am scared and worried, I want to JUST feel those red,white & blue happy T-shirt sayings envelope me. I really do.

What about a card that says "I know I can survive without you; I know each day I chose not to; I know I never want to.

Lately there have been some emotional days/nights when I really wanted DH beside me but we are strong because we are us, not because the US Govnt typed a piece of paper that relocated him around the globe.
    Sometimes it seems we the SO's (whatever our official title) are overlooked by the people who write the platitudes online, maybe I just didn't find the right stuff.
    Maybe it makes no difference.
    Maybe we need to write some of our own cards & T Shirts.

I probably just need to shut up.
    Is that a xanax behind the couch????