Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Men :lol

1. Senior Member

Men :lol

Advertisements
    My mom and dad went out of town for 5 days this afternoon. Before they left, my dad went grocery shopping for my brothers and myself. I opened the fridge and freezer just now to find something to make for dinner and saw what he bought: a bag of frozen chicken nuggets, two boxes of Hot Pockets, and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches... I donít think thereís a single vegetable in this house off to the grocery store I go.

Edit: That title did not work as intended...
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    My mom and dad went out of town for 5 days this afternoon. Before they left, my dad went grocery shopping for my brothers and myself. I opened the fridge and freezer just now to find something to make for dinner and saw what he bought: a bag of frozen chicken nuggets, two boxes of Hot Pockets, and Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches... I don’t think there’s a single vegetable in this house off to the grocery store I go.

Edit: That title did not work as intended...
    To be fair, the interior of Hot Pockets could be anything.

Your dad doesn’t normally do the shopping, does he?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. Senior Member
    That is seriously what my husband comes home with

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

how old are your brothers? lol it sounds like he was shopping for children who don't cook haha.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    how old are your brothers? lol it sounds like he was shopping for children who don't cook haha.
    They don’t have to cook. They can just bother her.

On a more serious note, you’d be surprised how many people - fully functional and independent adults in every other way - CAN’T cook. They never learned as children, and get intimidated by it when they’re put on the spot as adults because they don’t know where to begin or what to do first.

It’s such a simple skill, but so many don’t have it.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post

On a more serious note, you’d be surprised how many people - fully functional and independent adults in every other way - CAN’T cook. They never learned as children, and get intimidated by it when they’re put on the spot as adults because they don’t know where to begin or what to do first.

I personally was never taught as a child or teen how to cook, however it takes a simple google search and about a 5 to 10 minute youtube video to cook even a generic dish.

Now i love cooking. We have it incredibly easy when it comes to finding information we need to go about our daily life .
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This was me for so long. My mom hated cooking and never taught me how. And I also have a major fear of failure so I avoided it for a really long time. I'm getting better but I still feel way behind on most things. I can follow simple directions but I still haven't mastered the art of seasoning ... my stuff never tastes exactly the way I want it to.

I do buy lots of veggies when I go shopping though. If DH were left to his own devices I have no idea what he would bring back.
  8. Senior Member

I think it also has to do with not WANTING to cook since it requires some effort

9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    This was me for so long. My mom hated cooking and never taught me how. And I also have a major fear of failure so I avoided it for a really long time. I'm getting better but I still feel way behind on most things. I can follow simple directions but I still haven't mastered the art of seasoning ... my stuff never tastes exactly the way I want it to.

I do buy lots of veggies when I go shopping though. If DH were left to his own devices I have no idea what he would bring back.

Pro tip...taste as you go along. Taste EVERYTHING while you cook - even the pasta water - and adjust for balance as you go, rather than tasting at the end when you can’t do anything about it.

Your senses are tools that can help you, so use them. Taste, adjust, taste again.

I have a spoon in my pocket right now, purely so I can taste all the things.

If I send Husband shopping, he normally does well. He can cook for himself, clean for himself...he fended for himself for a long time before he met me, so he doesn’t need me to remind him of what a household needs. He DOES, however, need me to remind him that sweet things are not a food group. He always comes back with at least three kinds of junk!
    Last edited by Matchbox; 11-16-2017 at 10:23 AM.
  10. Senior Member
    They donít have to cook. They can just bother her.

On a more serious note, youíd be surprised how many people - fully functional and independent adults in every other way - CANíT cook. They never learned as children, and get intimidated by it when theyíre put on the spot as adults because they donít know where to begin or what to do first.

Itís such a simple skill, but so many donít have it.
    This is me.

I grew up in a house where everything was made from scratch. My sister is a wonderful, creative cook as well. Somehow, I missed the learning the skill. I look in a pantry, break out in cold sweat, and feel an intense urge to order delivery.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast