Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone up for snail mail?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Anyone up for snail mail?

Advertisements
    Hey everyone.

So, I didn't get a lot of response on my first post. (Introduction).
    I also figured that the US army is quite different from ours.(Belgium)

But I'd really like to connect with someone to fill up the void or even to build a friendship
    Also to exchange experiences and to learn about the differences or similarities in being an army wife / army girlfriend. (us vs be)

So does anyone feel like snailmailing / being pen pals?
  2. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StickToYourGuns View Post
    Hey everyone.

But I'd really like to connect with someone to fill up the void or even to build a friendship
    Also to exchange experiences and to learn about the differences or similarities in being an army wife / army girlfriend. (us vs be)

Girl! I would love to! I am a navy girlfriend though.
  3. Senior Member
    Hey everyone.

We have a couple of non-american members here. This is one of those sites where you ask questions or vent, so you'll get a lot of feedback on those types of posts. Have you explored the boards much, read the current posts (to see them you click "get posts" > today's posts)?

For personal security reasons you may have a difficult time finding people who are willing to give out their address, especially to a member we know nothing about.

But, everything you're looking for in a penpal you can find right here on the forum. A lot of members chat through messages or we exchange Facebook info. Once you reach 15 posts you can start sending private massages here.

Good luck!

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by susbro510 View Post
    Girl! I would love to! I am a navy girlfriend though.
    Woops, that's what I mean.
    WHat makes being a navy girlfriend a problem?
    (I assume you relocate all the time?)

I really wonder how different it must be over there.
  5. Senior Member

Many US military move around often. Its a few cases that tend to stay in one place for their whole time in the service and that could be that that community only has a few locations. Or something. I have friends who have stayed in one area the whole time since getting to that location which has been like 8 years now. We have 5 moves since being married/he entered (he did 2 officially w/out me) Unlike you see in European countries don't move as often (I have friends who are in the Royal Navy and Isreali Army)
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    We have a couple of non-american members here. This is one of those sites where you ask questions or vent, so you'll get a lot of feedback on those types of posts. Have you explored the boards much, read the current posts (to see them you click "get posts" > today's posts)?

For personal security reasons you may have a difficult time finding people who are willing to give out their address, especially to a member we know nothing about.

But, everything you're looking for in a penpal you can find right here on the forum. A lot of members chat through messages or we exchange Facebook info. Once you reach 15 posts you can start sending private massages here.

Good luck!
    Agreed, exchanging adresses isn't maybe the simplest thing to do, but I'd def. take an effort in proving my identity.
    But, yes I understand your point.
    Just the whole forum is so overwhelming. I felt from my previous post that maybe the difference is too big. (armyculture-wise)
    I'd love to meet people just don't have much to say
    I read stories here about hard, long term deployments.
    My man just goes on trainings and I always know when he'll be back, when he'll be gone, what he's doing,...

I don't feel like I can properly join the conversations.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    Many US military move around often. Its a few cases that tend to stay in one place for their whole time in the service and that could be that that community only has a few locations. Or something. I have friends who have stayed in one area the whole time since getting to that location which has been like 8 years now. We have 5 moves since being married/he entered (he did 2 officially w/out me) Unlike you see in European countries don't move as often (I have friends who are in the Royal Navy and Isreali Army)
    So you all relocate within the US?
    Because I think Belgium is so tiny, relocating would be useless, and that would be a very clear explenation.
  8. Senior Member

The way your original post (OP) was worded it seemed like you were looking for ONLY army spouses/girlfriends and her SO is in the Navy.

We have 4 major branches of the armed services: Marines, Navy, Air Force, and Army. In addition to that we have Coast Guard, National Guard, reserves, etc. All of them are very different from one another as far as job for the service member is concerned. However, our experiences as significant others (SO) can be very similar.

Agreed, exchanging adresses isn't maybe the simplest thing to do, but I'd def. take an effort in proving my identity.
    But, yes I understand your point.
    Just the whole forum is so overwhelming. I felt from my previous post that maybe the difference is too big. (armyculture-wise)
    I'd love to meet people just don't have much to say
    I read stories here about hard, long term deployments.
    My man just goes on trainings and I always know when he'll be back, when he'll be gone, what he's doing,...

I don't feel like I can properly join the conversations.
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't hold a conversation here then what would be different about sending letters?

So you all relocate within the US?
    Because I think Belgium is so tiny, relocating would be useless, and that would be a very clear explenation.
    The United States is HUGE and we relocate all over the country and to other countries. My husband is a Marine (the smallest branch) and Marine bases are typically on the coasts. So, we've been relocated 3,000 miles to the opposite coast a few times. He's been assigned to 8 bases all over the east and west coast: 4 with me and 4 without me.

9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    The way your original post (OP) was worded it seemed like you were looking for ONLY army spouses/girlfriends and her SO is in the Navy.

We have 4 major branches of the armed services: Marines, Navy, Air Force, and Army. In addition to that we have Coast Guard, National Guard, reserves, etc. All of them are very different from one another as far as job for the service member is concerned. However, our experiences as significant others (SO) can be very similar.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't hold a conversation here then what would be different about sending letters?

The United States is HUGE and we relocate all over the country and to other countries. My husband is a Marine (the smallest branch) and Marine bases are typically on the coasts. So, we've been relocated 3,000 miles to the opposite coast a few times. He's been assigned to 8 bases all over the east and west coast: 4 with me and 4 without me.

We have those branches as well. But they are all kind of organized the same. So weather you're airforce or marine, in my opinion it's all army. Another difference it seems. It's also slightly difficult to translate the local words for it.

I think writing is more personal and you can built a friendship more easily. Also it's something you take your time for and can look forward too. It's completely different. But I tried my best to share some personal experiences and advice last night after I made this post. Hope it wasn't useless. :p

The relocating, ugh sounds so hectic!
    Must make it so much more difficult. O.o
    (especially with kids)
  10. Senior Member
    although I can appreciate the intention, nobody should be handing out their address. That could be a way to target military members at home. Or maybe I'm paranoid.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast