Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Cheap Meals to Feed a Crowd

  1. Senior Member
    kt_bug's Avatar
    kt_bug is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    521
    #1

    Cheap Meals to Feed a Crowd

    Advertisements
    What are your best cheap meals to feed a crowd? Specifically 25-30 15 year old boys and possibly 5ish grown men. Preferably non-pasta based and fairly easy.
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #2
    Get a very large pot.

    Fill it with soup.

    ???

    Profit


    Seriously, soup or stew would be my go to option. One pot dishes (stew, curry, chilli) in general simplify the clean up hugely. Do you want help scaling up a recipe?
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. Senior Member
    ArmyCupcake's Avatar
    ArmyCupcake is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,076
    #3
    Does it have to be something you make? For that kind of crowd (teenage boys), I'd be ordering a bunch of pizzas and hoagies.
  4. Senior Member
    ArmyCupcake's Avatar
    ArmyCupcake is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,076
    #4
    What about making a chili with a topping bar? Ooh or make your own tacos.
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Does it have to be something you make? For that kind of crowd (teenage boys), I'd be ordering a bunch of pizzas and hoagies.
    A fifteen year old boy can demolish an entire large pizza by himself. That's going to add up!
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Senior Member
    ArmyCupcake's Avatar
    ArmyCupcake is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,076
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    A fifteen year old boy can demolish an entire large pizza by himself. That's going to add up!
    Even at an event at someone's house? Sheesh. Welp my first thought before I read no pasta was some kind of baked ziti bake. Always a go-to for large crowds.
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Even at an event at someone's house? Sheesh. Welp my first thought before I read no pasta was some kind of baked ziti bake. Always a go-to for large crowds.
    They're black holes on legs.

    Mm, if "no pasta" hadn't been specified, I'd have suggested something similar. That's what often gets served up behind the scenes/to the staff at a lot of restaurants, because it's filling, cheap and easy to do in bulk when you need to feed so many. I lost count of the number of pasta meals I had last year alone!

    Since pasta's out of the question, chilli is a good one. Anything one-pot is good.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  8. Senior Member
    kt_bug's Avatar
    kt_bug is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    521
    #8
    It's for a football team dinner. Last time we did a bunch of Costco pizzas and we have a restaurant that's gonna donate a bunch of pasta dishes. I like the chili idea but my parents were skeptical. Tacos sound good too! We can definitely do repeats but are trying to avoid feeding the boys pasta for every one of their 10-12 team meals.
  9. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,330
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    They're black holes on legs.

    Mm, if "no pasta" hadn't been specified, I'd have suggested something similar. That's what often gets served up behind the scenes/to the staff at a lot of restaurants, because it's filling, cheap and easy to do in bulk when you need to feed so many. I lost count of the number of pasta meals I had last year alone!

    Since pasta's out of the question, chilli is a good one. Anything one-pot is good.
    Huge pot of texas style chili and corn bread?

    my three year old can down a half a pizza if you let him!
  10. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Huge pot of texas style chili and corn bread?

    my three year old can down a half a pizza if you let him!
    Bulking the chilli up with beans as much as possible will make it cheaper, too. Black beans, pinto beans...cheap protein. Maybe some chunks of sweet potato too.

    I mean, yes, the gas thereafter will be horrendous, but that's their parents problem.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •