Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Cats

  1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #1

    Cats

    Advertisements
    So, I'm in my home state babysitting my parents cats for a while. I don't dislike cats, but I dogs and own dogs so I'm much more used to them. I've been here for a while, so they're used to me but today is the first day with my parents away for the day. The cats joined the family last Fall. They're kind of spoiled, I think, wet food three times a day

    The girl was a middle aged cat whose owner had passed and disliked everyone at the shelter so was going to be put down. She's very distant, in that she doesn't want to be touched and/or walked towards (it's a small house with small rooms/hallways) but she's nice and will hang out in a room with you sleeping/watching birds out the window. I think my mom said she's an American short hair.

    The boy is a baby (almost a year now) from a feral community who was going to be TNR and had his ear clipped, for some reason he got a foster home and was then adopted by my parents (I know I'm missing some information of why he wasn't released back but my parents either don't know or forgot ). He is SO sweet, he likes to snuggle and sleep on you and needs to play every day. He's a Maine Coon, I guess either fully or in part.

    Anyway...I'm not used to cats so tell me about your cats! What are they like? Quirks, preferences, activity?
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #2
    We no longer have cats, but the last one I had...

    Her name was Vesta. As in "tiny goddess of the household" Vesta. She was much like your older girl for about 90% of the day, and didn't particularly want to be touched. The OTHER ten percent of the day she'd be all over you, winding around your feet and tripping you up, demanding quite rough handling - more like a dog than a cat, she wanted to have her fur scruffed the wrong way!

    Only she could decide when she was going to switch between the two personalities.

    She was also quite attached to ice cream. Exclusively French vanilla ice cream, nothing else would do. As she got older (and she was very old when she died) I spoiled her more; if I got a bowl, she got a spoon.


    ETA:

    There was also Ugly Cat. He wasn't so much "our cat" as "a cat that temporarily decided we were suitable".

    He was a big old ugly stray (honestly, he looked like he'd been fed through a meat grinder...missing half an ear, bald on a big chunk of his tail, a face that looked like a fist with some hair on it) that we encountered while we were in South Africa. I put food out for him because I felt sorry for him. Catching him in a box and taking him to the vet to check him over was a major event.

    Ugly Cat started spending more and more time around us. For a full year, he stayed where we could feed him. He never once came inside, but if we came out to him he would accept being touched.

    Last I knew, he was lording it over our old housekeeper.
    Last edited by Matchbox; 07-06-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    katiebee's Avatar
    katiebee is offline
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,982

    #3
    We have a boy cat named Tibbs, he is 4 now I think. Anyways, he is cute and fuzzy and loves to be in the same room as us. He can be a lap cat (when he wants) and loves to be pet and scratched on his head. He is also really playful and he and DH will chase each other around the house

    We rescued him from a kill shelter when we were stationed in San Diego and we love him to pieces.
  4. Moderator
    twistertwin's Avatar
    twistertwin is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Posts
    8,577


    #4
    We have two girl cats. Charlie is 6 and Kitten is almost 3.

    They literally do not interact with anyone except my son. As in they stay in his room and only come out to eat. He has a doggy door in his bedroom door just because of how antisocial they are.

    So I am no help at all. We have three dogs with big personalities, but our cats are only people cats to one person.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    We no longer have cats, but the last one I had...

    Her name was Vesta. As in "tiny goddess of the household" Vesta. She was much like your older girl for about 90% of the day, and didn't particularly want to be touched. The OTHER ten percent of the day she'd be all over you, winding around your feet and tripping you up, demanding quite rough handling - more like a dog than a cat, she wanted to have her fur scruffed the wrong way!

    Only she could decide when she was going to switch between the two personalities.

    She was also quite attached to ice cream. Exclusively French vanilla ice cream, nothing else would do. As she got older (and she was very old when she died) I spoiled her more; if I got a bowl, she got a spoon.


    ETA:

    There was also Ugly Cat. He wasn't so much "our cat" as "a cat that temporarily decided we were suitable".

    He was a big old ugly stray (honestly, he looked like he'd been fed through a meat grinder...missing half an ear, bald on a big chunk of his tail, a face that looked like a fist with some hair on it) that we encountered while we were in South Africa. I put food out for him because I felt sorry for him. Catching him in a box and taking him to the vet to check him over was a major event.

    Ugly Cat started spending more and more time around us. For a full year, he stayed where we could feed him. He never once came inside, but if we came out to him he would accept being touched.

    Last I knew, he was lording it over our old housekeeper.
    Sounds like Vesta had a pretty good life! The girl here apparently likes pets from my mom in the morning, but not from my dad. I am taking a fairly hands off approach to both of them unless they clearly want to be touched. Ugly cat's name makes me laugh My MIL has a cat named "Useless Cat" that was a stray that became hers 15 or so years ago. She loves her so much though.

    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    We have a boy cat named Tibbs, he is 4 now I think. Anyways, he is cute and fuzzy and loves to be in the same room as us. He can be a lap cat (when he wants) and loves to be pet and scratched on his head. He is also really playful and he and DH will chase each other around the house

    We rescued him from a kill shelter when we were stationed in San Diego and we love him to pieces.
    he sounds wonderful. The younger cat here tries to play with the older, and she just bats him away so then he plays with balls, fake mice and other toys I can imagine DH play chasing with him though!

    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    We have two girl cats. Charlie is 6 and Kitten is almost 3.

    They literally do not interact with anyone except my son. As in they stay in his room and only come out to eat. He has a doggy door in his bedroom door just because of how antisocial they are.

    So I am no help at all. We have three dogs with big personalities, but our cats are only people cats to one person.
    That's nice they have their own door/space to be! That's how this girl seems to be, she interacts with my mom but not my dad (or me, but I've only been here for a little while). The only time I can approach her without her moving is if I'm dishing out food
  6. Regular Member
    myrin's Avatar
    myrin is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    74
    #6
    I have two, and I love them to bits. They are my absolute world.

    I fostered 5 kittens from Fukushima, that were dumped off at 4 weeks old. So I've had them since they were around 5 weeks. One went to Canada, 2 went to a friend in the northern part of Japan, and 2 stayed with me.

    One of the kittens was absolutely gorgeous, and is now the most beautiful white fluff cat I've ever seen. Just flounces from room to room with most amazing colored eyes (and isn't deaf, which surprised the vet). Basically, everyone wanted to adopt him, and none of the other kittens. With another volunteer, we were going to try to get him adopted out with the least adoptable kitten (people flat out didn't want him because he looked super plain in comparison to his brothers and sisters, and he was super close to his brother so it made sense not to separate them), which would have meant that I would have had one more kitten left and I was smitten on him and was planning on just keeping him.

    Now, I have the one no one wanted and the one I was originally going to keep. And it was the best choice I ever made.

    Louis Vuitton is my little adventurer. He is incredibly chatty and loves his name and plastic bags. He's not as fluffy as his other brother, but he's a very pretty green eyed white cat who's become a very handsome cat after his awkward kitten stage. He's incredibly intelligent - the other day, he tried pushing the sliding door open to get outside.

    Coach is my skittish orange tabby cat with super cute white socks and a little stub tail. He's an incredibly handsome boy who just wants all the tummy rubs and is happy to sit on you and watch TV etc. He doesn't like loud noises, more particularly my DB, but he is very much a mama's cat and always wants a cuddle.

    When my friend up north goes on vacation, she usually brings her two kitties down and I watch her cats with mine. They're all very much bonded. Coach always gets sad when they go and will sit by the door and cry for a couple days. It's really sad.

    I do love when I get to see the other kitties though. Prada is a mama's girl and needs constant attention. I'm tempted to buy one of those baby slings for her for my friend to use, because Prada is that attached to being attended on. If she could crawl into your skin, she would.

    I likely will never see the kitten I sent to Canada, but I enjoy when the girl who adopted her posts pictures of her.
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Sounds like Vesta had a pretty good life! The girl here apparently likes pets from my mom in the morning, but not from my dad. I am taking a fairly hands off approach to both of them unless they clearly want to be touched. Ugly cat's name makes me laugh My MIL has a cat named "Useless Cat" that was a stray that became hers 15 or so years ago. She loves her so much though.
    The ice cream didn't seem to do her any harm, so I let her have it.

    She must have been near twenty when she died - she was already an adult when my family got her, and we (or I, since I took her when I moved out) had her for fifteen years. Still able to see, still could hear, she knew where she was. She was just old and a little creaky and not fond of cold weather any more. When you turn into a grand old lady like that, you can have whatever you want. Far be it from me, a mere hairless monkey, to say no.

    I've always wondered how long she might have kept going for if she hadn't been hit by a car. Right up until that moment, she was fairly healthy. Just old.


    As for Ugly Cat...blame Husband for that. He says he's not wildly enamoured of cats (he's lying; just because you keep insulting it doesn't cancel out the fact you're sitting there scratching its ears!) but he couldn't actually stop me. Referring to my new friend as "Ugly Cat", "Vicious Bastard", "Shithead" etc was the last stand of a defeated man
    Last edited by Matchbox; 07-06-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    germy's Avatar
    germy is offline
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    3,868

    #8
    Tyrion is three years old and he's orange. He's mostly a lover but has asshole tendencies.

    <3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    DakotaCowgirl's Avatar
    DakotaCowgirl is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Home is where our feet land
    Posts
    12,453
    #9
    We have a 16 year old Male that is a pain in the butt.

    We got him at a farm and brought him home. He pretty much just lies around and ignores everyone. He loves my husband and to rough house with him. He started Kidney Failure last year in May and we thought we would loose him; but, he is still going.

    He has gained weight and loves to sing when he pulls a sock out of the laundry basket.

    I will admit though, I'm tired of having a pet because, at his age, he is very messy. He doesn't always hit the litter box (so far doesn't go in another places but there) and he gets sick because of the kidneys. We are just waiting for him to kick the bucket; but, afraid it might be a long time coming.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. we were all rooting for you
    KittenMittens's Avatar
    KittenMittens is offline
    we were all rooting for you
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,675
    #10
    I fucking love my cats and I can spend all day writing this post. I have two. I love one more than the other and will never deny it, they both know it so why lie to their faces?

    Mook aka Monkey was the first cat I ever adopted, I snuck him in where I was living because we already had 2 living in the house. He just looked so cute in the cage and had been there for months and he was so soft and fluffy and then I took him home and he flicked me off and pooped on my bed, establishing his jerk attitude forever. He's a very fat gray tabby cat but is surprisingly nimble and graceful when he needs to be (when there is food involved). He sheds a lot and sneezes everywhere because he has feline herpes (like cold sores in humans, not on his bits). He loves everyone except for me and will forever show them more love then I get. Mook is also unnaturally obsessed with going on the screened porch and torturing his sister.



    Lola aka Lil Kitten is my babe. I got her from the same shelter I got her brother, she was only 9 months old and had just gotten spayed and left her foster home. She is delightfully clueless, to the point that she's attached at the hip to me and only me, but she's so effing adorable. Her meows are broken/the volume isn't turned up and I think she was wired a little wrong because she falls off surfaces pretty frequently. She's a Siamese though and through, talkative and chirpy and loves exploring (she has a leash, yes I am that lady) and begging for food. She sleeps on top of me or is my little spoon every single night and likes to play "attack the feet" when I get under the covers. She also knows how to give kisses, knows the words "fishy fishy" "brunch" (every Sunday they split a can of wet food) and "cheesy treat" and comes when I call every. single. time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •