Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Happy Memorial Day.....?

1. Regular Member

Happy Memorial Day.....?

Advertisements
    This phrase has always seemed a little off to me when I hear it. I'm not trying to speak for others & pretend that I understand everything about what people feel & have gone through. I just feel that the sentiment behind this is awkward.
    It's a day of remembrance, a solemn day. Why does it feel that we are we congratulating each other as if we deserve to have a "happy Memorial Day"?
    There are families who truly observe this day for what it is. One of my high school friends would tell me about her dad who died in Desert Storm shortly after she was born. She and her family observe this holiday as a reminder of the price her dad/family paid for our country. As I'm scrolling through my social media and see posts like hers honoring the fallen, it feels strange to see pictures of people out on vacation with the phrase "Happy Memorial Day" scrawled across the bottom.
    This is just me pondering and posting some of my thoughts, wanting to hear from others too!
  2. Senior Member
    It's mostly, in my experience, because people don't remember/were never taught the difference between Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Its because...how would you great someone today?
    What word would you use?

I also find that people are too holier than though, that if I am not mourning or treating the day with the same sort of respect that they treat it, I should feel guilty. That if my way of treating today does not match their expectations, than I must be doing something "wrong."

Also, like many special days, (christmas, 9/11, etc" people think that if they treat today solemnly, and post their little thing on facebook, then they can forget about it the other 364 days of the year.

But that is my little rant.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    It's not something I say, but I can't get terribly bent about people who do. Sure, it's a smidge tone deaf, but so what? Are those who died in service of their country less dead, or even less valued, because someone didn't use carefully curated language?

It all feels like manufactured outrage to me, and hollow, almost hypocritical sanctimony, and like it's the SJW topic de jour. Yes, there are better choices of phrase, but I don't see how it's doing any real damage or--more to the point--how all the people currently complaining about it are really doing anything that actually moves forward the cause of honoring our fallen vets, the cause they claim to be so respectful of. What did those who are chastising people over this actually do to honor those who died in the line of duty? The answer, for the vast majority of them, is "nothing". So they aren't really any different than the people who went to Disneyland and posted smiling photos, or those who slept late and wished their neighbor a happy Memorial Day. They made an empty gesture so they could be self-congratulatory about it, and then did the same thing their targets did--nothing to honor the purpose of that day. And it's fine to do nothing to honor the day, but don't pretend that you did based on a shaming Facebook post or article, or whatever.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    It's mostly, in my experience, because people don't remember/were never taught the difference between Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.
    A friend posted several things on Instagram & Facebook thanking DB for his service yesterday. I understand and appreciate her sentiment, and didn't say anything. He simply responded "love you all! Miss you guys." However, I know somebody was bound to see that and pass judgement.

I guess in this day and age of incessant posting we have to realize that things on social media Things are not often as deep as we think they are.
    Last edited by LuciR; 05-30-2017 at 10:36 AM.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Yea... but I was taught it's never wrong to thank a vet. My dad lost many of his friends in Vietnam, and he takes memorial day (and every other patriotic holiday) seriously.
    I will never judge someone for thanking a vet/service member, even if they are mistaken about what the day is actually for.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Its because...how would you great someone today?
    What word would you use?
    I think a lot of people are stuck here. My boss told me "enjoy your long weekend" before I got off work on Friday. We had a solemn thing at my company and had several speakers who had lost a family member so I think it kind of pushed everyone more toward remembrance and not so much a celebration, not that it's good or bad I just think most people probably don't have events like that. Many, probably even most, people do not have direct family members that they have lost. Culturally, I think Memorial Day is more of a celebration of the start of summer than a sad, somber day so that's why people say it.

I also think when people say "happy holidays" (whatever holiday it is), it's not really a congratulations or "you deserve this!" It's just well wishes. When I say happy Halloween or Merry Christmas or whatever I don't feel like I'm congratulating anyone or that they totally deserve a day off, kwim?
  8. Senior Member
    I don't have a problem with people saying Happy Memorial Day or having fun over Memorial Day weekend, but several friends on Facebook tagged everyone from high school that is now in the military to thank them and tell them that this is their day. I think some people just truly don't understand what the holiday is really about and just know it has something to do with the military. Every time someone did to DH he simply thanked them and reminded them to remember all those who have fallen.

Memorial Day has always been a pretty somber day in my family. My grandpa gets pretty upset thinking back about all the friends he lost during his time in the military and it would feel wrong to go on a vacation when he's feeling that way. We always gather and grill to just take time to appreciate the sacrifices that have been made.