Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep habits?

1. Senior Member

Sleep habits?

Advertisements
    Who falls asleep watching tv? Do couples usually agree upon a time to turn off electronics? Do you guys go to bed at the same time as your partner?

I am a light sleeper, so I hate when dh leaves tv on to fall asleep. Especially the shows with sound effects or cartoon voices. Laugh tracks a close second.
    Dh got out of bed tonight (or rather, this morning) to go play video games with his buddy from a different time zone. He then comes back to bed and turns Netflix on his phone, so he can fall asleep.
    I have not been able to fall back asleep since he got up the first time, and my preggo hormones are making me want to burn his breakfast.

He and my kids could sleep through a tornado. When we moved into our first house and our first baby was spending her first night in her new room, a window fell in, didn't break, just slammed against the wall. Dh and the baby slept right through it.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    DH and I are opposites also. He likes sleeping to the tv or videos on his phone. I only like white noise (fan blowing) or quietness unless I'm in my delirious state and very tired, then I sleep to anything. I try to go to bed earlier so I can fall asleep earlier. If I hear him come to bed, I'm already in the deeper phases of sleep, so I fall back asleep easier. If he's already watching something, I will ask him to turn it down so it's a little quieter and I try to use it as background noise and not focus on the content of what's being played. Sometimes I can fall asleep then. If not, I turn it off when he is asleep. If I can't sleep after that, then I know it's me.

The only rule we have is not to play something I'm interested in. If I'm interested, I will pay attention to it and actively listen and not be able to sleep.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We don't have a specific time for electronics, but if one person wants to go to sleep the rule is no TV and no sound. Sometimes we watch movies or shows, but like if DH is watching a show but I want to go to sleep, he either has to turn off the TV or move to another room. The only time we sometimes leave the TV on is at hotels when it's hard to sleep, but the sound is either off or so low we can't make out the words, otherwise it's too distracting.

For other electronics, I don't mind if he reads his e-reader in bed, I do the same thing. We turn the brightness down and put it on night mode so it doesn't disturb the other person.

Normally we go to bed at the same time, but even if we don't our system works well for us. I couldn't go to bed with DH watching a show, especially with sound, so I feel you there!
  4. Senior Member
    I have to fall asleep to TV, the quiet weirds me out. LOL. DH is the same way, he has to have some sort of noise. I'm a light sleeper, we put the TV on a time to shut off after so many hours of being on. We keep our phones in the bedroom because most of the time one of us is on call for work
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    We don't have a specific time for electronics, but if one person wants to go to sleep the rule is no TV and no sound. Sometimes we watch movies or shows, but like if DH is watching a show but I want to go to sleep, he either has to turn off the TV or move to another room. The only time we sometimes leave the TV on is at hotels when it's hard to sleep, but the sound is either off or so low we can't make out the words, otherwise it's too distracting.

For other electronics, I don't mind if he reads his e-reader in bed, I do the same thing. We turn the brightness down and put it on night mode so it doesn't disturb the other person.

Normally we go to bed at the same time, but even if we don't our system works well for us. I couldn't go to bed with DH watching a show, especially with sound, so I feel you there!
    Your arrangement sounds wonderful
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I am an angry bear about my sleep habits I blame it on having undiagnosed sleep apnea for the first 26 years of my life Luckily DH understands and follows my rules.

My rules are: no tvs in the bedroom (we have 2 other rooms for that shit). No phone/handheld video games in bed unless we both agree to stay awake for a certain amount of time to partake. Having your light on to read while the other person is falling asleep is fine but only for 10-15 minutes. We go to bed at the same time and if not, the other person has to stay out of the bedroom long enough for the sleeping person to fall deeply asleep so they are not easily awoken when the other comes to bed (usually 60-90 minutes). No blanket sharing, the fan has to be on, no open windows (DH's rule - he hates crickets), and your phone ABSOLUTELY must be on silent except for alarms. Nothing enrages me more than being awoken by a booping noise because DH got an email.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    1)Who falls asleep watching tv? I can't have a TV in the bedroom, or I will stay up all night watching crap.

2)Do couples usually agree upon a time to turn off electronics? Not us, but see three. I also have learned not to use my tablet in bed, or, I don't go to sleep. But I do sleep with earbuds in, because I can't fall asleep to silence. I listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

3)Do you guys go to bed at the same time as your partner? She goes to bed between 8 an 9 usually. I can't go to bed before midnight usually, or I toss and turn all night and don't call asleep until 4 or 5 if at all. I have learned for myself, if I am not asleep within the hour of trying to go to sleep, to get up and do something for a while.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Senior Member
    We usually go to bed at the same time but idt either of us cares if one is using the phone or whatever as long as it's silent. I usually fall asleep reading something. I can sleep with the tv on but it's not my routine, I don't even have a tv in my room.

I don't think I'm a super light sleeper but I usually jolt awake all through the night to check the time and make sure I didn't sleep through my alarm. it's the worst.
  9. Senior Member
    We get into bed at the same time and DH is asleep within five minutes, I'm awake for another 45 minutes unless I was swimming or running a lot that day. I usually am on my phone reading on reddit until I get super tired, but it usually doesn't bother DH, he's a heavy sleeper. I'm a pretty light sleeper, so if he wakes up before me and wants to get on his phone or watch tv he'll go out into the living room
  10. Senior Member
    I honestly did not know people had TVs in their bedrooms. Like, I really never thought about it before. I only have a handful of friends that I'm close enough to be in their bedroom with any regularity and I guess they don't have them in there either. We never really talked about a TV in the bedroom, so I guess we both agree not to have one.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast