Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Wants VS Needs

  1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #1

    Wants VS Needs

    Advertisements
    I do not need a brand new $600 kitchen knife. I really don't. There's absolutely no way I can justify it.

    But it is so pretty...

    What do you want (not need, just pure shallow grabby-hands want) right now?
  2. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #2
    No. Because you can get better ones for under 200. A nice Japanese carbon steel.

    Misono
    Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 9.4" (24cm) - Right

    Suisin
    High-Carbon Steel Gyutou 9.5"(24cm) - Right
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    No. Because you can get better ones for under 200. A nice Japanese carbon steel.

    Misono
    Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 9.4" (24cm) - Right

    Suisin
    High-Carbon Steel Gyutou 9.5"(24cm) - Right
    You're slightly behind the times, my brother. I already own a Misono.

    I just like knife porn...and this is very, very special knife porn. Takeshi Saji is one of the best bladesmiths alive.
  4. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    655
    #4
    Is that the Damascus pattern? Very pretty, but I don't cook... I get spending more if its what you do for a living though. I have a $400 handheld compass, extravagant and totally not needed Right now I really want a new area rug for my living room. The one I have is too small and isn't grounded by the furniture. My dog is constantly sliding it out of place when she uses the house as a race track. It's a want not a need though.
  5. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    You're slightly behind the times, my brother. I already own a Misono.

    I just like knife porn...and this is very, very special knife porn. Takeshi Saji is one of the best bladesmiths alive.
    I would ask "well how many knives do you need?" But then someone might ask me that about cats or computers/tablets.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Matchbox's Avatar
    Matchbox is offline
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,299
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Is that the Damascus pattern? Very upretty, but I don't cook... I get spending more if its what you do for a living though. I have a $400 handheld compass, extravagant and totally not needed Right now I really want a new area rug for my living room. The one I have is too small and isn't grounded by the furniture. My dog is constantly sliding it out of place when she uses the house as a race track. It's a want not a need though.
    Yes, that's Damascus. Modern Damascus, anyway; no one seems to be entirely certain how to recreate what was originally done. I have very good work knives already, and I really don't need it, but...a custom build that's perfectly balanced and weighted for me? Made (handmade, no less, and it's fascinating to watch) by one of the best smiths on the planet?

    That's tempting. I will probably never touch a tool this fine in real life, but it's tempting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I would ask "well how many knives do you need?" But then someone might ask me that about cats or computers/tablets.
    I...do own a lot, this is true. To be fair, most of them are specialist butcher's tools.
  7. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,310
    Blog Entries
    2
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    Yes, that's Damascus. Modern Damascus, anyway; no one seems to be entirely certain how to recreate what was originally done. I have very good work knives already, and I really don't need it, but...a custom build that's perfectly balanced and weighted for me? Made (handmade, no less, and it's fascinating to watch) by one of the best smiths on the planet?

    That's tempting. I will probably never touch a tool this fine in real life, but it's tempting.



    I...do own a lot, this is true. To be fair, most of them are specialist butcher's tools.
    That's what I say about my cats! Some are good for butchering snakes, some nice, some, my fingers.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Moderator
    TheSisterWife's Avatar
    TheSisterWife is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,566

    #8
    I want a $40k grand piano.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #9
    I would like a vast sum of money for no particular reason, but I don't need it.

    I'd also like a new body, and I could probably make a good case for needing one, but, alas it's not possible.

    ALSO......my brother once bought me a hand crafted knife that [vaguely] looks similar and it was gorgeous. I never used it. Three years later, my mother came to visit and said "I'M USING IT!" defiantly. Then she put in my dishwasher while I was at an appointment. And it's been about nine months but my heart still aches for it.
  10. Senior Member
    Medic2Doula's Avatar
    Medic2Doula is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,330
    #10
    Oh my gosh.... for the first time in our lives I think I might not want for anything. We just moved into a new house in January, and we have enough room for our growing brood, we bought a swing set for the kids when we moved in. I'm pretty content. The only thing I really want is laughable, because I know it's unattainable, and that is to know where the heck we will be going next year and how everything is going to work out. I'm a serious type A with planning.
    Material wise though, we are pretty happy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •