Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Duty Station

1. Regular Member

First Duty Station

Advertisements
    So, is it just me or is it harder to meet people/make friends now a days? My DH and I PCS'd to our first duty station in May and I am having the hardest time. We have been volunteering for base activities and I even volunteered to become a Key Spouse. I went through the training and everything to find out there was only one key spouse in my husbands entire squadron which consists of six or seven different shops. Not a lot, but still. His commander wanted me to host a "Sweet To Meet You" type event on on a Saturday morning. I spent weeks of planning and stressing over it for only two ladies to show up It's just discouraging when you put yourself out there multiple times and no one seems to care/want to get involved. It seems like a lot of people are just over this base & are pretty negative about it. Any suggestions or advice? Or can anyone relate?
  2. Senior Member
    I can relate .. I have been involved in a few Key Spouse programs and in my experience it's either they are VERY active or almost non-existent. My advice is to not let yourself get discouraged and keep at it. The strong programs I have been involved with is because one or two motivated ladies really worked it.

I found meeting people through babysitting coops and groups seems to work well, but I don't know if you have kids.
  3. Senior Member
    I can relate. I'm at a unique base. This housing allows retirees and civilian contractors to live on base so a lot of my neighbors are much, much older than me. Since my husband doesn't actually work on this base, we just live here, it's hard to get involved in on base activities. And, most of the activities or groups are geared towards families with children, which we do not have.

Usually I meet a lot of people through work but I haven't had much luck out here. We're PCSing in a few months so it's too late now.

Hang in there, OP. I did meet a really cool girl on this site and we meet up quite often. Hopefully you can make a few friends here that are stationed in the same area.

4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    I can relate .. I have been involved in a few Key Spouse programs and in my experience it's either they are VERY active or almost non-existent. My advice is to not let yourself get discouraged and keep at it. The strong programs I have been involved with is because one or two motivated ladies really worked it.

I found meeting people through babysitting coops and groups seems to work well, but I don't know if you have kids.
    Thank you!! I won't give up yet! Hopefully it'll get better within time! No kids yet either
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I can relate. I'm at a unique base. This housing allows retirees and civilian contractors to live on base so a lot of my neighbors are much, much older than me. Since my husband doesn't actually work on this base, we just live here, it's hard to get involved in on base activities. And, most of the activities or groups are geared towards families with children, which we do not have.

Usually I meet a lot of people through work but I haven't had much luck out here. We're PCSing in a few months so it's too late now.

Hang in there, OP. I did meet a really cool girl on this site and we meet up quite often. Hopefully you can make a few friends here that are stationed in the same area.
    Awe! Yes, I know what you mean! We don't have kids yet either, so it makes it hard to relate to those who do have families. Where will y'all be going? Thanks girl, I hope to make friends soon! that would help a lot hehe.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiedshea View Post
    Awe! Yes, I know what you mean! We don't have kids yet either, so it makes it hard to relate to those who do have families. Where will y'all be going? Thanks girl, I hope to make friends soon! that would help a lot hehe.
    I hope things get better once you start working and going to school!

We're headed back to North Carolina (we were stationed there for over 4 years about 4 years ago). I'm not exactly thrilled about the location, but I'm looking forward to a new start.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 08-23-2016 at 08:14 PM.

7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I hope things get better once you start working and going to school!

We're headed back to North Carolina (we were stationed there for over 4 years about 4 years ago). I'm not exactly thrilled about the location, but I'm looking forward to a new start.
    Thanks! I started school last week and I babysit part-time so I've been keeping pretty busy Oh okay, so at least you're familiar with the area, that's true, new starts are always nice!