Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Friendship new to military life

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Seeking Friendship new to military life

Advertisements
    Hello,

I am new to this whole online thing... My husband suggested I find one of these sites to gain support from other who are in my shoes.
    Im finding this military lifestyle to be very difficult; something i never would have imagined myself a part of.
    The story between my husband is a long and messy one and now that we are finally together again; I am struggling tremendously to embrace this lifestyle.
    I am here by myself with our little one trying to finish up my degree. Nothing seems to have really changed with this due to the fact that my husband and I were separated for some time. I have tried to talk to other in our family about how I feel at times and I've even let him know as well how I'm feeling. I guess what I'm looking for is someone new to talk to someone who is not biased to either party. I just need someone to shed some light on that little glimmer of hope i'm looking for.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

If I read that correctly, you are not living with your husband where he is stationed?

My first suggestion was going to be seeing a counselor on base, because it helped me a lot. I had a really hard time adjusting to military stuff and that helped me tremendously. If you aren't near a base, I think an off base counselor might still be helpful they just might not be as used to the military norms. I had come from a family with very few military members so the demands of the job often seemed ludicrous to me, and I was fairly indignant about it. Having a counselor who found the demands of the job to be perfectly normal and acceptable helped me adapt to them.

Otherwise, this can be a great place to get information and different perspectives
  3. Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! I think you will find a tremendous amount of support and resources here. It's not an easy lifestyle for some to adapt to but I can tell you it also can be very rewarding. I agree with PP that some counseling may really help you. Military life is like anything else, once you accept what it is and have a sense of what to except it does get easier.

I found it very, very difficult and had a hard time initially adapting but I have learned over time to roll with the punches and take it as it's dished out. The one thing that is certain is nothing in the military is certain. Accept that simple little fact now and you can save yourself a lot of grief and stress.
  4. Senior Member
    Depending on what branch you are there are classes that help with support and the military lifestyle. The Navy has COMPASS and the MC has LINKS. Not sure if the Army or AF has one but I will say if you have something take one. Heck you might even find a friend in the class.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all for your support My husband is stationed in Japan; I however live in Texas I have considered counseling but now too sure where to look. I know the military lifestyle has its benefits and I see that most everyone on here seems to agree there is struggle... I will take the advice you have all given me and try to find some one who can guide me through this.
  6. Senior Member
    Join the Family and goodluck! God Bless!
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Welcome. I just joined this support group today as well. My hubby left for Basic Training today and I decided immediately that I had to seek support. Sounds like your situation is a bit complicated. I haven't been given the chance to try to adapt to the Military lifestyle yet, but I can relate to the uncertainty about it all. Seems like you have your hands full with your little one and the degree, being busy is a blessing. Try to keep your mind busy as best you can and maybe when your hubby gets back stateside, you can both try to get some marriage counseling.
    Best of luck to you!
  8. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

This forum is a fantastic support system. I know when my husband left for a year long deployment (I don't think they do those any more), we had a 4 month old daughter and I didn't have anyone around me to help. It's very difficult, but I think you can get through it. Heaven knows, if I can do it, anyone else should be able to.

I would also suggest counseling when you both get back stateside. It can help immensely.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

9. Senior Member
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast