Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Diego, CA homes & where to buy

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

San Diego, CA homes & where to buy

Advertisements
    This is my first post here. We will be buying a home in San Diego near the Naval base. What communities or areas do you recommend close to the base?
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Which Navy base? 32nd st?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yes 32nd st
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    So a lot of this is going to depend on factors you haven't listed like.. do you have kids? Do you have a specific reason for being close to base? Do you care about your neighbors? What's your price range?

If you look at this map: https://goo.gl/maps/8YxLpAsf1YH2

Some areas I would consider buying would be North & South Park (both up-and-coming hipster-y neighborhoods), Barrio Logan IF (HUGE IF) you don't mind that it's right next to 2 of the crappiest neighborhoods (Logan Heights and National City). It's a little island of gentrification in a sea of terribleness.

Also maybe Lemon Grove to the east, or up north in Hillcrest or Normal Heights.

If you wanna go south, some parts of Chula Vista and Imperial Beach are okay. I have friends that live in both areas without too much trouble.

None of these places are known for good school districts though, if you have school-age kids, so that's an issue.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    We have no budget yet. We do want to keep the price low but not compromise a good community. Good neighbors are important. Thank you for the suggestions
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by vmvo View Post
    We have no budget yet. We do want to keep the price low but not compromise a good community. Good neighbors are important. Thank you for the suggestions
    Ok well "price low" means a different thing in San Diego compared to other cities so you really gotta know what your budget is before you start looking. 300K could get you a teeny condo downtown, a smallish single family home in the seedier neighborhoods, and not much of anything in the 'burbs. And most people don't consider 300K to be a low price. So it really depends. The market here is weird so if you're not gonna stay for at least like 5 years, I wouldn't recommend buying at all.
  7. Senior Member
    Yeah, you are going to need to narrow in on a budget. Also, on a list of priorities. Do you have kids and really value top schools? Is a short commute important, or are you willing to drive a really long time for a bigger/nicer/cheaper house? Is it important to you to be able to walk to shops and things, or is suburbia fine?

Like RL said, I really, really would not recommend buying here if you don't think you'll be here for 5+ years, and especially since you aren't familiar with the area.

That said, if money were no object, we'd live in Coronado. Even if DH didn't work on Coronado, we'd live here. But houses are really expensive. It's can easly be $1000+ per sqft, and that's for nothing special, which means a modest 1200 dqft house on a tiny lot (probably attached to at least one other home), no garage or off street parking, can be $1.2million. Yup, million. That's why you need to set a budget. I doubt there is anything I'd consider acceptable for less than about half a million, unless you are willing to deal with a long, traffic-filled commute, an older neighborhood with more crime, or a really tiny place that is probably apartment-style. Like you could probably get a 700sqft studio downtown for that. So maybe that's fine for you. But no one can really suggest neighborhoods until we know what is important, and at least roughly what you can spend.

You really can't get anything here in a good neighborhood that isn't 45+ minutes away for less than about $500,000, and thats still going to be pretty small and probably older (and maybe not single family).

I also like North Park, South Park, Hillcrest, and Kensington. But those areas are going to be pricer than something like La Mesa, which is a but further out, has some sketchy areas (though not all of it is sketchy at all!), older homes, and isn't as desirable. But your half million dollars there might be able to get you small single family, especially if you don't mind a fixer upper.

Many military families live in Chula Vista/Eastlake, which is to the south. Not a bad commute. They are newer areas, and it is just miles and miles of newer tract homes, but you can do okay for your money there.
    Last edited by villanelle; 02-01-2016 at 08:23 PM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    Stalking this thread. DH and I aren't looking to buy a house but it'd be nice to know where to get an apartment at.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    Stalking this thread. DH and I aren't looking to buy a house but it'd be nice to know where to get an apartment at.
    Will he also be at 32nd street? There are so many bases here!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I want to move to San Diego.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast