Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto insurance

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

auto insurance

Advertisements
    womp womp, I'm so over adulting.
    I'm looking to change my car insurance. I currently have Geico and it just went up to about $240/month. I have an auto loan which I know requires I pay more. But, I've been driving since I was 16 (10 years) and I have a perfect record. Something seems wrong.

For both comprehensive and collision I have the $500 deductible. I was considering changing it to $1000 ded. but I'm not sure if that's a bad idea or not? I then got a quote from Progressive for 153/month with the $500 ded. so then I was thinking I should make a switch?

IDK Someone advise me! Also, what coverage do you feel comfortable with? Any awesome/awful insurance companies to steer clear of?
  2. Senior Member
    I think I am currently at a $500 deductible which I find to be high, I would personally be scared to go up to $1,000 especially on comprehensive but deer are a big problem out here. Is this just for one car? If so that does seem extremely high unless it is a very expensive car. We have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and a 2004 Cadillac CTS (both still with loans) and ours is only $114/month with Geico. Before Geico we had USAA and it was ~$160/month for both cars.

I would at least check around on some other sites for some quotes, they are usually typically quick to get. I know for a lot of people USAA was cheaper, but for us Geico was a lot cheaper.

ETA: Somehow missed the progressive part before - if it is almost $100 a month less I would definitely switch!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ask them what is causing it to be so high.
    Are you under 25?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    As for the deductible, figure this out:
    What is the monthly savings between 500 and 1000.
    lets say it is 100 a month. Unless you are making claims every 5 months, you are losing a lot of money each year with the lower deductible.
    Besides, small damage to you own car you don't want to claim anyways. it would raise your rates. You would rather pay out of pocket. I would go with the higher deductable.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jesskuhmarie View Post
    I think I am currently at a $500 deductible which I find to be high, I would personally be scared to go up to $1,000 especially on comprehensive but deer are a big problem out here. Is this just for one car? If so that does seem extremely high unless it is a very expensive car. We have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and a 2004 Cadillac CTS (both still with loans) and ours is only $114/month with Geico. Before Geico we had USAA and it was ~$160/month for both cars.

I would at least check around on some other sites for some quotes, they are usually typically quick to get. I know for a lot of people USAA was cheaper, but for us Geico was a lot cheaper.

ETA: Somehow missed the progressive part before - if it is almost $100 a month less I would definitely switch!
    My car wasn't expensive, its a Hyundai accent, a little baby thing lol. I switched to Geico 2 years ago because it was the cheaper option at the time, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. My policy just went up from 225/month to 240, apparently I am no longer eligible for the "new policy discount" and due to inflation?!

I think I will shop around a little bit more. Progressive seems to be a good option so far.

Thank you!!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    ask them what is causing it to be so high.
    Are you under 25?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    As for the deductible, figure this out:
    What is the monthly savings between 500 and 1000.
    lets say it is 100 a month. Unless you are making claims every 5 months, you are losing a lot of money each year with the lower deductible.
    Besides, small damage to you own car you don't want to claim anyways. it would raise your rates. You would rather pay out of pocket. I would go with the higher deductable.
    I just turned 26. I don't know what else makes it high, they didn't have any real reason. Besides me having a loan, I have a perfect record so nothing should make it unusually high.

Hmm, I think the savings is only about $40-$50/month. That money does make a difference in my budget as I'm a social worker and completely on my own.
    I'm still not sure. I need to save money everywhere I can, but I don't know if $1000 is the safest? I guess it is true too that if I had any damage less than $1000 I would prefer to not use insurance anyway. IDK, ARGH
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    That seems crazy high. We pay $120 or less a month, for two cars plus renters insurance. This is with $500 deductible. Oh and even in England for one car with renters it wasn't ever over $175 a month. Oh and one car is a brand new van, which actually made our insurance go down $30 a month when we bought it.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    That seems crazy high. We pay $120 or less a month, for two cars plus renters insurance. This is with $500 deductible. Oh and even in England for one car with renters it wasn't ever over $175 a month. Oh and one car is a brand new van, which actually made our insurance go down $30 a month when we bought it.
    Yes! WTF Geico!! They were the cheapest when I first switched to them, and TBH, I never really reviewed it again because I thought they would continue to be the cheapest. Then when I turned 25 and nothing changed I was suspicious, but just never did anything about it.

I'm definitely switching, now to just decide which company. Thanks
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    Yes! WTF Geico!! They were the cheapest when I first switched to them, and TBH, I never really reviewed it again because I thought they would continue to be the cheapest. Then when I turned 25 and nothing changed I was suspicious, but just never did anything about it.

I'm definitely switching, now to just decide which company. Thanks
    In my experience insurance goes down every year unless you have a claim.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    In my experience insurance goes down every year unless you have a claim.
    Yes, and I have 0 claims. It went up because I was no longer eligible for the "new policy" discount. And she explained inflation based on my state.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast