Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you exchange gifts?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Do you exchange gifts?

Advertisements
    Do you exchange gifts with your SO for the Holidays? This year DB will hopefully be visiting me for Christmas. Last year I went to him on New Years and we exchanged gifts then. He'll be buying his ticket here, and I feel bad expecting anything more from him. And him coming is 100% the only gift I want. Of course, last year he flew me there and then bought me a gift as well which was way more money than I expected him to spend. Should I tell him to seriously not get me anything else? I was thinking his gift to me would be him and my gift to him would be making a really special Christmas together. On the other hand, I really want to buy him a present He is in desperate need of a new nice-er watch and I know he'd really appreciate that from me. OMG, this is turning into a ramble and I apologize. I just don't know what I want to do with this.

Anyways, does anyone have any advice to make me feel less awkward about this whole thing? Also, I want to hear how you celebrate with your SO?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    DH and I have always exchanged gifts, but we're not doing gifts this year. With us buying a house 2 weeks before Christmas and now the future baby, funds will be shorter than usual. I've always been the one that says "Don't get me anything please!!" though so, I'm honestly no help lol! I guess you can also ask if you guys want to use that money to go out somewhere or do something fun together instead of having a tangible present? That would be fun!
  3. Senior Member
    Maybe you can get him the watch and take him out somewhere nice.

Over the years, I've been leaning more towards the idea of taking a trip around the holidays and skipping gifts. I've been dying for DH to take me to NYC during Christmas time and I hope this year could be the year.

ETA: In the past we've always done gifts. Typically a lot of small things and one "big" (more expensive) gift.
    I hate the pressure of Christmas shopping though . I'd much rather go on a trip and forget the gifts.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yea, I much prefer doing something fun together as a gift. Except, the relationship is on the newer side and there are gifts I still want to buy him! Haha. We both love couples massages though, him especially after his 24 hour trip. So maybe I'll do that for us. And then get him a watch for his bday...hmm
  5. Senior Member
    A couples massage sounds like a perfect idea!

6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    DH and I do lots of gifts. Mostly because I don't like buying things for myself so he loves to buy me things. He already has a bag of stuff I can't peek into. This year will be a bit less extravagant than usual, with the new townhouse and all.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    We've done it both ways and I honestly prefer no gifts at Christmas. I'm a scrooge. I'd rather us buy one large item for the house that we can both enjoy, like a new recliner, TV, etc. Or have a very nice trip together when DS gets older.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Senior Member
    This year we are spending Christmas in Puerto Rico. We have decided not to buy gifts for each other but instead we are planning a nice date afternoon while we are down there. Spending quality time with each other and having those memories will be our gift to each other.

Maybe yall could plan a fun activity to do together and that could be yalls gift to eachother. You could do a cooking class or a couples massage or something like that.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    DH and I do lots of gifts. Mostly because I don't like buying things for myself so he loves to buy me things. He already has a bag of stuff I can't peek into. This year will be a bit less extravagant than usual, with the new townhouse and all.
    haha, I'm the opposite. If I ever want anything, I always just buy it for myself. But, I loooove spoiling people, so for me it's really fun buying him gifts, but it's probably more stressful for him lol.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    We've done it both ways and I honestly prefer no gifts at Christmas. I'm a scrooge. I'd rather us buy one large item for the house that we can both enjoy, like a new recliner, TV, etc. Or have a very nice trip together when DS gets older.
    lol, I kind of do prefer gifts, I love both giving and receiving them But, I just don't think I can allow DB to buy me something after spending 2grand on a plane ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    This year we are spending Christmas in Puerto Rico. We have decided not to buy gifts for each other but instead we are planning a nice date afternoon while we are down there. Spending quality time with each other and having those memories will be our gift to each other.

Maybe yall could plan a fun activity to do together and that could be yalls gift to eachother. You could do a cooking class or a couples massage or something like that.
    Yes, I'm thinking a couples massage
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast