Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: life changes in the last 6 years

1. Senior Member

life changes in the last 6 years

Advertisements
    Seeing an old thread (not sticky) bumped recently made me think of all the changes in the last 6 years. It seems now like a lifetime ago. I was with a different S.O. who was deployed for the first time, I was at the start of my career and almost broke financially, my parents and I were estranged, and the army NG had different rules regarding service members.
    (DADT) Civilian life was different too. How has life changed for you for better or worse?
  2. Moderator

In the last six years, we have moved seven times, had babies #2 and #3 and are expecting baby last (maybe ), I've lost 150 pounds (and gained and lost pregnancy weight) and learned how to enjoy being active, we have a second-grader and a soon-to-be kindergartener and have chosen to transition to homeschool. Six years ago this month we left the long portion of his tech school after almost two years, and now we are in his final 2 years and preparing to leave the military at the end of 10.

All that and we're no more optimistic about getting out of America's armpit than we were the first time we got orders here.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Let's see. . . 6 years ago was 2009. So since then, I found out my boyfriend who I joined the site for was cheating on me, we broke up, I moved up to north Carolina and was a Hooters Girl for the first year here. In that time I started talking again with the ex and we were thinking of getting back together after his deployment but I found out he was still lying. I dated a horrible guy for all of two weeks or so. Met my now husband, we moved to Raleigh for his job. We got engaged and Then his job moved us back to where we are now. I went back to school for my Bachelors Degree. We got married, went to Vegas, he lost his job this past January. I graduated and now I work as a financial analyst and DH starts a new job next week (while still maintaining his home business of manufacturing model rc boats).

Wow that's a lot
  4. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think the most ironic thing of ALL things that has changed for me in the past 6 years is that 6 years ago i SWORE i'd never be in a relationship with someone in the military... I was a senior in high school at the time and with a different SO who I was sooooo dramatically star-crossed for who was contemplating joining the Air Force band after high school... I was like "Fuuuuck no! I would never be in one of those relationships!!"

Part of that attitude was due to DADT... the other part was fear of a long distance relationship.
    Oh how the tables have turned.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Oh man my life has changed in so many ways and all for the better. Besides going through all the typical newlywed trials of the military life and obviously 3 kids will change your life but I feel so much more comfortable and confident as a person than I did 6 years ago!
  6. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    The past 6 years have been pretty intense for me. In 2009 I was in a dysfunctional marriage with the ex-husband that I'm divorcing right now and still working in the Surveillance department where I got really hurt and eventually lost my job. I took that opportunity to finish my AA, finish my BA, and now I'm in the last year of my master's degree and will graduate with my MSW in June 2016. 3 degrees in 6 years and now I need to catch my breath!

I spent the past summer in WA state hiking, camping, meeting people, and hanging out with my best friend. My internship this year involves implementing a veteran's specific hospice program and I can't be any prouder to be a part of it. In a few weeks I'll be interviewing for a federal summer internship with the DOD or VA. I'll find out around March/April which US base or facility they'll be assigning me to. In 6 years I've lost a bunch of weight and found inner and physical strengths I didn't know I had. It's been a struggle to find enough time to work-out in grad school but as long as I'm still on the path to my goal I figure I'm doing just fine.

Right before this school year started I met my soldier and we're happily figuring one another out as well as how to work around both of our crazy schedules. Right now I'm just about dying for him to get his cute butt back from the field so I can kiss his face and feel his arms around me
  7. Regular Member
    6 years ago I had a 5 month old baby boy and was married. Now I am divorced with a 6 year old boy. Not going into details over that. I have grown immensely over the past 6 years into a woman who can stand on her own and is stronger than she ever thought possible. I started a design business and have no begun the process of changing careers. I found my wonderful soldier a little over a year ago on ChristianMingle and hear we are today going through a deployment. Even if I knew then he'd be deployed today, I would have still gone to meet him. The Lord has truly blessed me with a wonderful man and a beautiful, kind hearted son. So much has happened but all for the best.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    6 years ago I just started senior year of high school. I was just friends with the guy who I would eventually date, which brought me here to MSOS. Broke up with him, lost my uncle, my grandma, and a good friend all in one year. But then met my current DB () and been together for two years, my niece was born, applied for graduation with my B.A. in psychology, and now I'm waiting on niece #2.

Lots of ups and downs but overall a decent 6 years
  9. Senior Member
    Oh boy! 6 years ago I was 23, drinking like a fish and making immature decisions!

Now I am almost done with school, in a stable relationship, go to church every Sunday (usually by myself too!) and just happy with how far I've come over all.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Big stuff in the past six years:

-Graduated college, got into and am currently almost done with my masters
    -Moved to a new city by myself for a boy who dumped me via text afterwards
    -Got 5 tattoos!
    -Parents divorced
    -Adopted two lovable but dumb cats
    -Became a boss ass bitch
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast