Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car recommendations!

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Car recommendations!

Advertisements
    We are in the market for a car. DH car is having more problems, so we are going to trade it in before anything else happens to it. (caliber srt4, no more sports car.)
    We are looking to expand our family so it must fit 3 carseats. Goal is under $25,000.
    Give me some ideas!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    Nissan Rouge or a VW Tiguan. I drove both and loved them but decided to get a Golf lol since the car is just for me getting to work. the gas millage on the golf is amazing
    Getting used to the new lifestyle far away from home and leaving my fear behind each day a little more.
  3. Senior Member
    Used! By a 5+ year old used car with relatively low mileage (under 50k should be very realistic for that age, under 40k would be better but might take a while longer to find).

It makes a thousand times more sense to buy a used car than a new one. hose first years are all about horrible depreciation. Let someone else pay for that, and then buy the car at the point that the value mostly levels off.

You can sell you current car privately (where you get more money) or through a place like Car Max
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Used! By a 5+ year old used car with relatively low mileage (under 50k should be very realistic for that age, under 40k would be better but might take a while longer to find).

It makes a thousand times more sense to buy a used car than a new one. hose first years are all about horrible depreciation. Let someone else pay for that, and then buy the car at the point that the value mostly levels off.

You can sell you current car privately (where you get more money) or through a place like Car Max
    Right now we plan to take his car to carmax, get the quote drive a mile down the road where this one dealership will beat their offer by $100 but we get a check that day. We plan to then cash that check and lay off the yaris and take whatever is left over (think roughly $1500-$2000) as a down payment.
    I'm not a huge fan of a used car cause we need this to last. My husbands car is only 6.5 years old and is starting to break more every year. But I have been keeping my eyes open. I will buy a Toyota sienne new because my bil works at a Toyota dealership and his buddies will work on the car for only $20 an hour with parts at cost.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Our friends bought a Chevy Traverse and they loved it. It had enough room to fit 4 full size adults and 3 kids comfortably in car seats/boosters when we went to visit them last spring! It was a pretty nice car too!

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

I'm on team used car as well. We have an '89 suburban so that'll show at if you take care of a good car it'll last you! We also have 2 minivans (umm because we are just THAT cool) one is a 2006 and the other is a 2010 both bought used and work great. We've only had to do maintenance type things and regular pricey things like tires.
  7. Senior Member
    Team used too. We got our RAV4 (2009) with ~20,000 miles on it. It came with a certified used warranty which is almost as good as new. And after that initial depreciation, Toyotas hold their value well. We are vigilant about oil changes and routine maintenance and that car has been great to us.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Right now we plan to take his car to carmax, get the quote drive a mile down the road where this one dealership will beat their offer by $100 but we get a check that day. We plan to then cash that check and lay off the yaris and take whatever is left over (think roughly $1500-$2000) as a down payment.
    I'm not a huge fan of a used car cause we need this to last. My husbands car is only 6.5 years old and is starting to break more every year. But I have been keeping my eyes open. I will buy a Toyota sienne new because my bil works at a Toyota dealership and his buddies will work on the car for only $20 an hour with parts at cost.
    You can get a used car (1-2 years old--yes people really do sell their cars after 1 year!) with <10,000 miles on it for probably 10+% less than new, and that is going to be just as reliable. The older you go, the more the discount, but if you are super worried about reliability, even a couple years old is so much better than new.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Team Used!

I got my '06 Civic in 2011 and have had absolutely zero issues with it. When I got it, it had about 64k miles and now I'm just over 110k. I took it to a Honda dealership for it's 100k service and all was perfect. In four years, I've only had to replace minor things like the wipers and burnt out tail lights, and freeon in the AC. I've always loved Honda cars!
  10. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    We ended up with a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with only 29k miles on it for $25k! It was an absolute steal and has 3 rows of seating and super easy chair folding down ability. It had been on an Acura lot for over 100 days so they were trying to get rid of it and priced it to move and for that year and that low mileage it was just right with a price in our range! Comparative cars to it were around $28k if you could go the extra.

Yes villanelle is right, there are people who lease the car for a year then dump it for the new model. I wasn't crazy about going used having only had a new car before... but a car is gonna get driven no matter what, why pay for a brand spankin new car when you can get a pretty much new car for a whole lot less... I still have a hard time believing my Ford is used .

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast