Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroes at Home?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Heroes at Home?

Advertisements
    Did Sears do the heroes at home thing this year? We're not eligible but it just occured to me that usually we talk about it here and I don't recall seeing anything.

I know they've had issues the last few years so I guess I would understand if they discontinued it, but it was a cool program and it was fun to see everyone get all excited for it and register.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm 99% certain they just didn't do it this year with all the backlash the previous years.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    I'm 99% certain they just didn't do it this year with all the backlash the previous years.
    Ah I think you're right! Bummer. I looked it up and it said they discontinued it.

This quote from the website I found announcing the discontinuation kinda sums it up I guess :

"One military spouse is very upset over the cancellation of this program stating, “This was the one way we were able to afford a holiday for our family. Sears is selfish for cancelling this and putting families through financial strains.” While another military spouses says, “Thank goodness! This program was wonderful, but spouses would get so upset over the amount or not getting accepted. Nothing is owed to us, Sears didn’t owe us anything!”
    SMH
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

The quote from the disgruntled spouse really irritates me. Seriously, Christmas comes EVERY YEAR. It's not like it's a once in a lifetime event. Every family has 364 days to prepare for the next one. Clearance shop, save $5 a week, do SOMETHING before it comes again. ARGHHHHHHHH.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. Senior Member
    I would have canceled it, too, if I had to put up with the nonsense that they did. And come the eff on, if the $30 you got last year makes or breaks Christmas for your family than you've got bigger issues.
  6. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    People were just downright nasty the past couple of years. I am sure that noone wanted to donate anymore. We used it last year or the year before, and I am thankful it was available when I needed it.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I would have canceled it, too, if I had to put up with the nonsense that they did. And come the eff on, if the $30 you got last year makes or breaks Christmas for your family than you've got bigger issues.
    -- Considering the "gratitude" they got from the very families they had the program for I'd have pulled the plug too. If I were a potential donor seeing the things that were said by military spouses online I'd take my $$ and go elsewhere with it.
  8. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I always enjoyed reading facebook both when it was opening up and when the cards were sent out. Entitled assholes bitching about how they depended on that money for Christmas, bitching that single sailors didn't deserve it, it should be for families etc. I wondered how long the program would last with ungrateful assholes bitching like that.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    People were just downright nasty the past couple of years. I am sure that noone wanted to donate anymore. We used it last year or the year before, and I am thankful it was available when I needed it.
    Yeah we used it twice and it was really helpful for us! Especially after we PCS'd here and didn't have a lot of money, it was a help to get our household set up.

Sucks that it's gone but I can't blame them.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I was just thinking about that yesterday! Can't blame them, they put up with way more than I would have.
    "You think you know what you're looking for, till what you're looking for finds you."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast