Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick question: Veterans' Day

1. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!

Quick question: Veterans' Day

Advertisements
    I'm trying to make a simple "Thank you" graphic for Veterans' Day. I've listed the five branches of service and six modern-day conflicts:

WWII
    Korea
    VietNam

Desert Storm
    OEF
    OIF

If I leave out lesser known conflicts (like Bosnia and Mogadishu) am I being offensive? Is there a good way to encompass such events?
  2. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    This is what I have right now:

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would probably leave off the wars if you're worried about causing offense, there are plenty of smaller conflicts that troops are involved in that happened between the big named wars.
  4. Senior Member
    I would leave off the conflicts and only put branches.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I agree with the others...just go with the branches
  6. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I don't want to do that, because several of the people close to me are VietNam era and have been forgotten far too long/often. I can't put "especially VN peeps" so by listing the conflicts, I'm trying to ensure they don't feel left out.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I don't want to do that, because several of the people close to me are VietNam era and have been forgotten far too long/often. I can't put "especially VN peeps" so by listing the conflicts, I'm trying to ensure they don't feel left out.
    But how are they forgotten? Desert Storm is the one I'd forget, never Vietnam. And what about those Vets that never deployed during those conflicts, are they still considered when listing them?
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    There are still some veterans from the Army-air corp.
    This was prior to the Air force as a separate branch, the Army provided all the planes and pilots.
    Then there is also the Grenada invasion.

But really, I would not worry. People are going to understand, and if someone tells you you missed one, ask them about it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    But how are they forgotten? Desert Storm is the one I'd forget, never Vietnam. And what about those Vets that never deployed during those conflicts, are they still considered when listing them?
    I don't want to turn this into a debate, but I am honestly surprised to read this. Many texts (I recommend Odysseus in America by Dr. Jonathan Shay) document the ongoing turmoil VN veterans have experienced because they were asked to reintegrate into society, keep their heads low and their mouths closed, and not speak of combat or the challenges of service again.

In recent years, the health issues caused by chemical exposure in particular have been a serious challenge for VN era vets. We have a friend whose cancer is almost assuredly due to Agent Orange, but the recognition of Agent Orange injury by the VA has been a brutal battle.

For Vietnam veterans, injustice follows injury - Chicago Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    There are still some veterans from the Army-air corp.
    This was prior to the Air force as a separate branch, the Army provided all the planes and pilots.
    Then there is also the Grenada invasion.

But really, I would not worry. People are going to understand, and if someone tells you you missed one, ask them about it.
    We actually live in a community where an Army Air Base was converted. It's been interesting to read about some elements of the history (we have a small museum and a local historian took me through it) - I can show you launch sites and storage for missiles. A couple years ago, some of the types of planes that flew the British blockade stopped here - amazing stuff, just amazing.

Grenada is one that just perplexes me.

Interested inquiry is probably a great way to respond if someone complains. I do think Cold War era veterans may have never seen conflict, but have challenges of their own due to their service.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The Cold War actually had well over 100 cryptologists and crew shot down and/or torpedoed and killed (shot down in surveillance planes, torpedoed in ships-- read about the USS Liberty or any of the planes shot down by the Russians). The Cold War wasn't cold for those who served in silence-- if you really want to talk about sacrifices that went unnoticed, check out the names on the NSA's National Cryptologic Memorial.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast