Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/O "Classic Movies"

1. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!

S/O "Classic Movies"

Advertisements
    I was gonna do this earlier, but then was like, "Nah," but now I am like, "Yeah . . . . "

So, based on the comments in my Short Circuit poll:

a) What do you define as a "classic movie"?

b) What "classics" would make your (short) list of the best?
  2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    1. Memorable
    2. Rewatchable
    3. Recognition
    4. Good (or memorable) performances
    5. Quotable

A true classic or cult classic stands out within its genre. Some of my classics within my favorite genres: The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, No Country for Old Men, Alien, Aliens, The Terminator, Terminator 2, Blade Runner, Jaws, Sleepless in Seattle, Pretty Woman, Total Recall, The Abyss, Poltergeist, Star Wars (earlier incarnations), Halloween, The Evil Dead, Scream, It, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Inception, When Harry Met Sally, Titanic, Children of Men, Jerry Maguire, Zoolander, Empire Records, Dazed and Confused, Pretty in Pink, The Exorcist, The Breakfast Club, Indiana Jones (earlier movies), Sixteen Candles, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Gladiator, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Karate Kid, Forest Gump, Primer, Tron, District 9, Gravity, Schindler's List, The Princess Bride, The Goonies, The Shining, Scarface, E.T., Brazil, Top Gun, Full Metal Jacket, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Matrix, LOTR, The NeverEnding Story, Footloose, Labyrinth, Spaceballs, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Die Hard, Toy Story trilogy, Up, The Incredibles, The Lost Boys, and many others.

I consider a lot of 80s movies "classics" and critically acclaimed movies that stick with you.
    Pax, Aeon
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ćon View Post
    1. Memorable
    2. Rewatchable
    3. Recognition
    5. Quotable

A true classic or cult classic stands out within its genre. Some of my classics within my favorite genres: The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, No Country for Old Men, Alien, Aliens, The Terminator, Terminator 2, Blade Runner, Jaws, Sleepless in Seattle, Pretty Woman, Total Recall, The Abyss, Poltergeist, Star Wars (earlier incarnations), Halloween, The Evil Dead, Scream, It, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Inception, When Harry Met Sally, Titanic, Children of Men, Jerry Maguire, Zoolander, Empire Records, Dazed and Confused, Pretty in Pink, The Exorcist, The Breakfast Club, Indiana Jones (earlier movies), Sixteen Candles, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Gladiator, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Karate Kid, Forest Gump, Primer, Tron, District 9, Gravity, Schindler's List, The Princess Bride, The Goonies, The Shining, Scarface, E.T., Brazil, Top Gun, Full Metal Jacket, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Matrix, LOTR, The NeverEnding Story, Footloose, Labyrinth, Spaceballs, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Die Hard, Toy Story trilogy, Up, The Incredibles, The Lost Boys, and many others.

I consider a lot of 80s movies "classics" and critically acclaimed movies that stick with you.
    I'm not sure I agree with your entire list but I agree with your definition for sure.

Also no country for old men is one of my favorite movies. It may be my actual favorite. Idk. I love it so much though.
  4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    1. Memorable
    2. Rewatchable
    3. Recognition
    5. Quotable

I like your criteria a lot! And I think your point about genres is a good one - DH and I aren't necessarily in tune on that!

My list is pretty short: Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, the Harry Potter series, and the early Disneys.

I might try to make a case for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and I've fallen in love with "Saving Mr. Banks."

But - clearly, I have a genre bias.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    1. Memorable
    2. Rewatchable
    3. Recognition
    5. Quotable
    I agree for the definition.

As for my short list... Three guesses.
  6. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I like your criteria a lot! And I think your point about genres is a good one - DH and I aren't necessarily in tune on that!

My list is pretty short: Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, the Harry Potter series, and the early Disneys.

I might try to make a case for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and I've fallen in love with "Saving Mr. Banks."

But - clearly, I have a genre bias.
    I like your short list. And I love Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium! I should show that to my kids. I think they'd like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I agree for the definition.

As for my short list... Three guesses.
    Star Trek?
    Pax, Aeon
  7. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I like your short list. And I love Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium! I should show that to my kids. I think they'd like it!

Star Trek?

I actually made DH sit through Mr. Magorium twice in the theater. I was ( and am ) utterly entranced.

And you took my first guess for Lynn!!!!
  8. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

1. Memorable
    2. Rewatchable
    3. Recognition
    5. Quotable

Pretty much all of this

I love all of these movies! Particularly Labyrinth, Princess Bride, The Goonies and Gladiator. Those are some of my top favorites!

Fricking David Bowe and his epic pants

9. Senior Member
    Here's my list (sorry if I repeat what PPs have put)

Casa Blanca, Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of OZ, most John Wayne Movies, American Graffiti, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., The Poltergeist series, Taxi Driver, The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, O Brother Where art Thou?, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Bonnie and Clyde, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Meet Me in St, Louis, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Pee Wee's Big Adventure (I had to throw that one in here ), Smokey and the Bandit, Indiana Jones 1-3, Clueless, all the Batman movies, Psycho, the Harry Potter Series, Remember the Titans, Beetlejuice, A League of Their Own, Big, While you were Sleeping, Sleepless in Seattle, Armageddon, Space Jam, Jurassic Park, The Mummy, Moonstruck, Interview With a Vampire, Nightmare Before Christmas, Grease, Hairspray (the original), Mission Impossible series, The Matrix series, Beaches, Hocus Pocus, Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Notebook, Selena, Mean Girls, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, It's A Wonderful Life (and most Jimmy Stuart movies), A Christmas Story, most Disney films, any films made by some of my favorite silent film stars: Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, and the cast of Our Gang (the original Little Rascals) etc... I really love movies so this list could go on forever...

I think a classic movie is any movie that can stand the test of time ie. will be remembered for decades to come

ETA: Yes to everything on Aeon's list!

10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

How the hell is Dirty Dancing not mentioned yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast