Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sororities

1. Senior Member

Sororities

Advertisements
    Any of you ladies who went to college become part of a sorority? Rush starts tomorrow with open house and I'm so nervous! I'm really excited and looking forward to it, but I'm nervous. l I have my outfits already picked out and everything. Do you have any tips? I'm really shy in person and I never just put myself out there so I may or may not be panicking... just a little.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I was in a sorority, I loved it and they are some of my closest friends even a few years out of college. Recruitment was stressful for me as a Potential New Member and as a Sister, but I would say if there's something about sororities that are really important to you-- philanthropy, their favorite part of being in a sorority, etc then having a question in mind that I was interested in talking about always made it less stressful. Good luck!
  3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I was in Zeta Tau Alpha!

Rush week is overwhelming somewhat basically first day is an open house, you're going to bounce to each sorority house and upon entering the house you're usually greeted by a lot of cheering, overly enthusiastic women! You bounce around between a few people who will show you the house and that's usually day one. Assuming you made an impression, they'll send out a bid for day two which is a little bit more personable, they'll usually be doing skits and explaining more about the history of the sorority and their philantrophy. Day 3 is when they are doing call backs because they're wanting to make that bid and extend an invite to you to join!

It's been awhile for me but rush week was fun. The first day just keep it short and sweet, you'll only have probably 5 mins tops to talk to each girl and there are a LOT of people. But have fun and be yourself. Do a little research on the sororities you're going to be touring before hand to see if you might have anything in common with the work they do (like ZTA their philantrophy is Breast Cancer Awareness!) and that could give you some talking points!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have tons of fun!

4. Senior Member
    I thought most sororities didn't allow married people? Is that not the case?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I thought most sororities didn't allow married people? Is that not the case?
    I think for all the panhellenic affiliated sororities you aren't allowed to be married; however, local chapters might have a different stance. In Kappa Delta we couldn't even be engaged more than a year out from our graduation.
  6. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamajoj View Post
    I think for all the panhellenic affiliated sororities you aren't allowed to be married; however, local chapters might have a different stance. In Kappa Delta we couldn't even be engaged more than a year out from our graduation.
    I find that quite odd. Why?
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    Because if you are married or engaged, your priorities become anything BUT the sorority.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    To be completely honest I never really looked into it or questioned it, but I also knew that I wasn't going to be engaged until my senior year. From what I can assume it is because it takes away from college and your sorority being a priority in your life. Both are fairly time consuming, so adding in the planning of a wedding, setting up a household would distract you from your prior obligations. Every sorority has different rules though. I know that Pi Beta Phi you can be engaged throughout college you just can't be married. They are all very strict about having children as well.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mamajoj View Post
    I was a Kappa Delta as well

There wasn't a rule about seniors getting engaged, but there was one girl a year ahead of me that got engaged at the beginning of senior year and she all but checked out.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I had to look it up since no one in NY gets married before 30, , but at my school we did have rules that said you couldnt be married or engaged in a sorority. Not sure if its a panhel thing or a school by school/chapter by chapter thing, but something to look into. I loved being in a sorority but TBH I wouldnt have wanted to do it while married. Half the fun is staying up till midnight doing rush stuff, moving into the sorority house, bar hopping in a sorority bar crawl and if you have to go home to make dinner and hang out with the husband, you end up missing so so so much of the really good, bonding moments with the sorority and then you end up being on the outskirts of sorority life. Now if these sororities have many married members it may be different, but if you will be the one or one of two married girls- I would consider that strongly. Not trying to be a downer or anything, but I would hate for you to go into a sorority expecting things and not getting them.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast