Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: What generation are you?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I didn't go to college and no one has

1 1.32%
  • I didn't go to college, but older generations have

3 3.95%
  • I went and so did my parent(s)

17 22.37%
  • I went and so did my grandparent(s) +/- parent(s)

12 15.79%
  • I went and so did my great-grand parent(s) +/- newer generations

7 9.21%
  • Even further back

4 5.26%
  • Other

15 19.74%
  • I am the first.

17 22.37%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What generation are you?

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

What generation are you?

Advertisements
    Trish's thread got me thinking- are you the first in your family to go to college? Did your parents? Grandparents? Great grandparents? I am curious as to the break down.

If older generations went, any cool stories?

My parents both went- mom never graduated but went for 6 years
    My grandpa went and was a surgeon. My other grandpa went and was a lawyer. My one grandma went because she was rich and back in the day college for women was finishing school while you husband hunt.
    My great grandpa on my mom and dads side went. My great-great grandpa on my dads side went.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My parents both went. My grandparents on my dad's side went as well as one great grandmother on his side.

They all went to the same college at one point (I also went to that college).

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There isn't an option for being the first generation to go, that would be me!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    None of my grandparents, parents nor siblings went.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    There isn't an option for being the first generation to go, that would be me!
    DAMMIT! Hold on...
  6. Senior Member
    My aunt was the first in our family to go to college, she became a nurse in her late 20s/early 30s. Aside from her, only me and my cousin (her son) have gone. My siblings will eventually but two of them are still in high school.

I don't really know a lot about my family though. I've never met my father or anyone on his side, my maternal grandfather was an orphan so we don't know his family. I'm pretty sure my grandmas parents didn't go to college though, I think they came over from Ireland unless that was the generation before. I have no idea.
  7. Senior Member
    My parents both did and so did at least one set of grandparents and my sister is still going to university.
  8. Moderator

I went and didn't finish. My dad has a couple of bachelor's degrees and a ton of additional certifications and stuff. I'm pretty sure his dad has a degree.

My mom was the first in her family to go to college. She overcame a LOT to get there. Her dad was a tax-dodger and they moved around a lot to avoid paying taxes. It's a wonder she even graduated high school considering how many times they picked up and left everything in the middle of the night. At one point he moved them into a shack he built out of plywood that had no electricity or running water and she had to shower in the locker rooms at school and do homework somewhere else with light. She started out with terrible grades but decided college was the best way out of the situation and worked her butt off to raise her GPA enough to get into the school she wanted to go to.

She had her first baby while she and my dad were still in college and she took my sister to work and class with her (you could do that, back in the day I guess ). She didn't finish her degree because my dad joined the military and they moved, but now she's an extremely accomplished and well-known (in her genre) composer. I think she is amazing.
  9. Senior Member
    I don't know about great grandparents but my grandfather went as did my parents and aunts and uncles.
  10. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I was technically the first generation to go to college like straight out of high school, my dad joined the Air Force when he was younger and didn't pursue college and my mom didn't go to college until her late thirties to get her degree! So it's just me and my mom!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast