Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do promotions work?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

How do promotions work?

Advertisements
    This is a random question but it's been bugging me since yesterday.

I was helping this guy at work and noticed he had been promoted from E3 to E4 so I congratulated him and updated his profile. Then he said that he didn't even know he had been promoted until his paycheck was bigger than usual and that tipped him off that something was up ... he thought there was a mistake where he got overpaid so he called DFAS and they told him he made E4. He said nobody at work said anything until he mentioned it to them so ... for those types of promotions it is just not a big deal and the servicemember is expected to know? Or do they normally tell you "hey you got promoted."

(I know it's different for some ranks there's like boards and tests and stuff?)
  2. Moderator

What branch? Air Force doesn't even test until E5 so I could totally see this.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    What branch? Air Force doesn't even test until E5 so I could totally see this.
    Just what I was thinking.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Army. I don't think they have boards til E5 either but I was thinking surely you at least get some kind of notification? I have no idea though.
  5. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

For the Navy you have to take a test to make E4...then check the list online to see if you made it...etc..
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Army. I don't think they have boards til E5 either but I was thinking surely you at least get some kind of notification? I have no idea though.
    (Again navy) DH made e2 in boot camp and was told but was not told when he made e3.. then the tests start.
  7. Regular Member
    Ehhhh my husband was always just promoted at a formation. They let him know, and so he bought the new ranks to get pinned (or velcroed) whatever.
    When he was E2, his LES and everything in the system showed he had been promoted to E3, however his unit refused to pin him because well Korea is just the a hole of the Army. So he was an E2 getting paid as an E3 for like 6 months. Basically, he was always the one that took initiative to get promoted on his uniform. No one really told him. He told them.
  8. Senior Member
    DH had to test for staff sgt (AF) so of course he knew if he was going to get a promotion. But yeah he knew every single promotion he was getting ahead of time.

Makes me wonder if dude reads his gov't email or anything about his career because *I* don't know how you don't know you are getting promoted unless you are completely out of the loop.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've only been with DH since right before he tested for Staff Sgt (AF), but he tested, was on the list and promoted on the first day of a certain month based on his line number.
  10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

In the Navy promotion to E2 and E3 are automatic after 9 months time in rate. You would have to just not give a fuck to not know you're being promoted.

Once you get to E4 there is a process involved. You have to be a certain rank for a certain amount of time before you're allowed to test up. 6 months as an E3 before you can test for E4, 1 year before E5 and after making E5 it's 3 years between each advancement availability. Now there are exceptions and you can test earlier if you get certain evals but I'm not going to throw that confusing stuff in there.

To advance to E4-E6 you have to take an exam, it is given twice a year. Once in March and once in September. Your score on your exam is combined with points for awards/ribbons, your time in rate, your eval score and any PNA points you may have. (PNA = Passed, Not Advanced) There is a minimum multiple that varies every cycle that you have to score above to be advanced. Results come out about 2 months after the exams. All the results are out on the same day, commands are notified first and then the results are available to everyone. It is a HUGE hoopla to get advanced, you'd have to be comatose to not know you advanced. Seriously impossible in the Navy.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast