Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How did your parents react...

1. Regular Member

How did your parents react...

Advertisements
    When you started dating/got engaged/married your SO...mine are kind of snotty about it, yet have nothing to back up why they feel that way. DB is a perfect gentleman and treats me amazingly. Yet, they still aren't happy. How did your folks react?
  2. Senior Member
    My mom was displeased initially, because we started having sex pretty quickly (we were 17). Once she got over that though and got to know him better, she was nice to him. My dad never knew about the sex thing, so he was fine with him They were both thrilled when we got engaged/married. My dad cried happy tears when he asked for my hand.
  3. Senior Member
    My parents were happy for me. Weren't find of the fact that once we were engaged that the duty station was across the country.

funny story: DH and I got married in AK and didn't tell anyone. When we got home for the "hoopla wedding", he had told his parents so I went and got my drivers license and the marriage certificate and showed my parents. My mom's reaction was "I'm so happy! Lets go to Waffle House and celebrate!" So we went and had Waffle House at 11pm.
  4. Senior Member
    My parents were hesitantly happy for me becuase they worried that it was too soon post-Afghan.

They aren't fans of his now though...
    Mommy since 2009
  5. Senior Member
    When I first introduced him, they were indifferent. When I moved out of their house and in with him, they were pissed. When we got married, they were excited and wanted me to drive to Vegas and get married that weekend. They are very traditional and didn't like that I was "living in sin" and were afraid of what others would think.

DH is a good guy and takes care of me. They finally see that. Plus, my dad and his brother all joined the military and stayed in past 20 years. They see DH and recommend that he completes his 20 years also.
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

With my current husband my parents were happy.
    When I told them we were getting married my mom was a little worried because it was so quick and I just got divorced but she loves DH.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I was 17 and told my dad I was getting married and I needed him to sign a waiver saying I could do so and he was completely calm about it and 100% trusted my decision. He may have been freaking out on the inside but on the outside he supported me 100%. He pretty much amazes me
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My parents were thrilled. I was a bit nervous because I had just ended a marriage not that long before we started dating, and with us being halfway around the world there was really no way for them to meet. I was even more nervous when we got engaged because they had still not met him. Luckily everyone met everyone before the wedding (albeit only a few days before, but we made it work!).

My dad said he was happy to have a military man in the family. My mom started talking about how sexy the uniforms were and how she used to work at an airport and would go hit on the soldiers when they were traveling.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

My parents were really happy, they love dh. His mom was probably less happy, but now we get along well
  10. Regular Member
    I wish my parents would trust my judgment. I did come out of a relationship and into this one within a matter of weeks. But oh gracious. It was the best decision I have ever made relationship wise. DB is amazing. But because I haven't known him long enough, my parents are convinced either:
    A. I will get hurt again
    B. I will unintentionally hurt him
    C. Wind up dead in a ditch somewhere (?)
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast