Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Schools?

1. I like my beats fast and my bass down low
    I like my beats fast and my bass down low

How Many Schools?

Advertisements
    Thinking back after reading a recent thread about school and I just remembered that I've been to a crapload of schools...I was an Army brat so attended 14 to be exact from K - 12th (15 if I count preschool) and can still remember almost all of the names (its been awhile, so I'm patting myself on the back for that ).

For some, I know the constant transition was difficult - I was fortunate in that I adapted and integrated more easily than my siblings...which I think was due in large part to me being a "nerd" & a tomboy (not really caring about much, other than whether or not I'd be able to play sports / be outside) and that even though I was very shy, I'm naturally friendly so I never really lacked for play pals...although grades 8 - 12 were not so easy (boy, and subsequently girl, drama was huge during those years ).

How many schools have you been to (K - 12) and if there were many, how did that affect you (academically and/or socially)? Can you recall your school names?
  2. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I lived in the same town from the time I was 1 until I married and moved away at 19. So not many schools.
    I went to pre-K at 1 school, K-4 at another, went to 1/2 5th grade at another for advanced classes but didn't adjust well so they put me back in my old school to finish 5th grade, 3 years of middle school at the same school, then all 4 years at 1 high school. I have no trouble remembering all my school names, especially since it was just 5 of them.

I did better academically and socially with familiar faces and surrounding. For example, when I went to GATE in 5th grade at a new school, I suffered so much socially and academically that they put me back in my old school. However, when I went to middle school for 6th grade with most of my classmates I'd knows since kindergarten, I excelled socially as well as academically (they put my back in GATE for 6th grade and up). I continued to do well, and transitioned to high school well as half my classmates from middle school came with me to high school.

DH is an Army brat. He went to like 9 or 10 different schools. His dad retired when he entered middle school. He only remembers the names of the schools he went to from like 4th grade up, which was 5 schools (last 2 elementary, 2 middle schools, 1 high school). He went to like 4 or 5 schools before that that he doesn't remember the names of.

He did not transition well. He was held back in 3rd grade when he transferred in the middle of the school year; his new school had learned stuff his old school hadn't yet taught and he couldn't catch up in time. He pretty much hated/gave up on school because of that. Moving so often made it too hard for him and he really struggled both socially and academically.
  3. I like my beats fast and my bass down low
    I like my beats fast and my bass down low
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueButterfly505 View Post
    I lived in the same town from the time I was 1 until I married and moved away at 19. So not many schools.
    I went to pre-K at 1 school, K-4 at another, went to 1/2 5th grade at another for advanced classes but didn't adjust well so they put me back in my old school to finish 5th grade, 3 years of middle school at the same school, then all 4 years at 1 high school. I have no trouble remembering all my school names, especially since it was just 5 of them.

DH is an Army brat. He went to like 9 or 10 different schools. His dad retired when he entered middle school. He only remembers the names of the schools he went to from like 4th grade up, which was 5 schools (last 2 elementary, 2 middle schools, 1 high school). He went to like 4 or 5 schools before that that he doesn't remember the names of.
    My DH was sorta like you, in that he lived in the same place pretty much until we moved in together . He attended 4 schools, 1 in Los Angeles for K - 1 that I can't recall the name of but his dad still lives down the street from and we pass it when we visit him, another for 2 - 8 (private) and 9 - part of 11th (private), remainder of 11th - 12th in Riverside (long story, but basically his mom, my MIL, reeeaaaalllly didn't like him being with me so bought a house there and installed him in it...he literally lived by himself there while his mom & sis remained at their old house).
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I went to one school for kindergarten then the new school in my district opened up so we got rezoned for that school. After that, the middle school in that town. Then we moved down to SC and I went to one school. We moved after a year but I still attended the first high school with my mom driving us 40min every day. That got old in that year and the school started becoming very overcrowded and heading downhill so I moved into the school for the area I lived in and graduated from there.

DH grew up and stayed in the same town from birth until he enlisted so he went to three schools, all on the same corner with all the same kids from preschool all the way through.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

7...9 if you count preschools. i moved around a lot with the marines too lol and i bounced around high schools
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    1 school. Well, technically it was 3 since elementary, middle and high, but same district, which is what I think you are asking.
  7. Senior Member
    1st-4th I was in the same district but at the time the schools were split up prek and 1st, 2nd, and 3th, and 4th by itself. So technically 3 different schools. I moved to a new district in 5th grade and again halfway through the year, and then again in 6th, 7th and twice during 8th grade. So 6 schools from 5th to 8th. Then I only went to one high school (thank god ). We weren't military either, my mom just liked to move. I moved in with my dad the second half of 8th grade and that's why I only went to one high school.

ETA: oh and I can recall all my school names, it hasn't been that long for me

8. Senior Member
    I went to the same school for all 13 years, k-12. I loved it! I graduated in a class of 29, and about 10 of us went to school together all 13 years.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by MATom View Post
    I went to the same school for all 13 years, k-12. I loved it! I graduated in a class of 29, and about 10 of us went to school together all 13 years.
    Wow! A class of 29?! May I ask where you lived? That's so small to me!
  10. Senior Member
    I moved once during my childhood in 5th grade. I went to three schools: K-5, 5-8, and high school 9-12. Although 5th grade was W. Elementary School and 6-8 was W. Middle School, I'd still count it as one school because they had the same name. My dad retired from the Navy when I was 5 or 6, so that really didn't affect me.

After I moved in 5th grade, I was friends with these girls. Then, later on in the school year, I started to distance myself from them. I just wasn't interested in being friends anymore. (I think we just didn't have the same interests.) They started bullying me. I'd sit at my desk and every time they'd walk past, they'd kick my chair leg. It was really annoying.

ETA: I was put into an advanced level math class in 6th grade. I only struggled because the pace was faster and I wasn't used to it. By 8th grade, I excelled at math again and even received a student of the year award in math.
    Last edited by Deifick; 05-22-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast