Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sentimentality vs. functionality

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

sentimentality vs. functionality

Advertisements
    My MIL is a HUGE antique collector and apparently plans on giving me and DF a bunch of things when we marry.
    This terrifies me because I am all about functionality. I could really care less if something has been in the family for 6 generations if it's too delicate and old to do it's job. She, on the other hand, collects dishware that still has toxic paint and displays it, and moth-chewn quilts, just because they're old and have "history".

Where do you all stand on the sentimentality <---> functionality spectrum?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    I think sentimentality is a good thing. TBH your viewpoints are a little offputting. I hope your MIL never gives you all something special that you won't really cherish or might just throw away.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

While I don't love all family heirlooms because like you said, some are just not function or realistic to keep around, I could never ever bring myself to be the one to get rid of them unless it became a "food on the table or not" situation.

Something that may not have a ton of meaning to me now may later on, or may have meaning to my kids. I just couldn't handle being the one to get rid of something special to so many people.
  4. ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
    ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
    A little bit of both. I hold a lot of things my grandmother has very close to me, because they have been around me since I was born. I would hate to see them be thrown away. And a lot of antique things are still of better quality than stuff that is around now, so I see a lot of stuff like that perfectly functional

love me some Maegan
    Jessym is my relationship twin! ♡
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    If the scale is function is -100 and sentiment is 100,I am more on functionality. I would say probably a -50. Except a very few things. My very first HP book is so old and so used and battered that it is, literally, in pieces. But it was where my love started, so I keep it, regardless. But a blanket? Come on, who cares? A pillow? Nay. Dishes? Hell no.

I also fully expect my kids to throw out my HP book when I die. Why do they want it?
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yikes that's a tough one! Personally I'm not big on sentimental attachment to physical objects. DH and I are both very minimalist people ... we have virtually no clutter or knick-knacky stuff, to the point where numerous people tell me that my house doesn't look "lived in."

I think it's because my grandparents and my mom had kind of hoard-ish tendencies and I really hated it. My ex was the same way and it drove me to distraction. I just don't like having a bunch of useless "stuff" cluttering up the house.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I prefer to decorate my own home. There are a few family pieces that my parents have but I only want one of them for sentimental reasons.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Just wanted to add, I don't think being sentimental is a bad thing ... for me it just doesn't manifest in physical things. I don't attach the memory to the object, if that makes sense.

Photographs are probably the one object that I place a lot of value on. I also have a bunch of my dad's old books that have his signature and date in them, but I consider those functional because my dad has awesome taste in literature. I read his old books all the time.
  9. Senior Member
    I really only keep things I'm using. I have a few things that are solely for sentimental proposes but I don't really get attached to items.

My grandma was keeping all her china for me to have when she dies but I had to tell her I don't want it. I appreciate that she wanted to give it to me but I'm never going to have a cabinet or anything to display it, I'd rather not be the person whose house everyone goes to for holidays so I'd never have any use for it, etc. I feel really badly about that but it would really bother me to have it in my house.
  10. Senior Member
    I definitely lean more towards the functionality end of the spectrum. Anyways, I don't want other people's sentimental things. If it has value to me or to DF and it doesn't take a lot of room/isn't hassle to keep around? Sure. Great. But I don't want or need other people's junk.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast