Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop it. (just a little PSA)

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

Stop it. (just a little PSA)

Advertisements
    There are differences and you should know them because it really makes a difference in what you're saying.

Examples:

Defiantly does not equal definitely. Defiantly means you're doing something in a rebellious manner, you're boldly resisting. Definitely (the word you're actually trying to type, I believe) means a positive affirmation, an absolute yes.

Also, definately is not a word.

Another example:

Apart and "a part" are also two separate thoughts. Apart means to be at a distance, whether that be space or time. To BE separated in purpose or pieces. "A part" means a piece of a whole.

Also, SO means significant other, S/O means split off.

That's all for now. Its late. I'm tired.

2. Banned
    Banned
    I get that there are differences, but maybe people should focus on content.

Is the point solely to maintain correct speech/grammar/diction or to communicate?
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Wow. I applaud you...but wow.
    I guess I just don't mind so much and I just try and figure out what someone is saying.
    "Love is just a chemical, we give it meaning by choice"---Eleanor Lamb (Bioshock2)
    " I feel like a part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything. Maybe we're from the same star." ---Emery Allen
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Geez....who cares!

Typos, misused words, incorrect grammar and use of made up words happen; its a online community...get over it!
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AwwSnail View Post
    Geez....who cares!

Typos, misused words, incorrect grammar and use of made up words happen; its a online community...get over it!
    Kind of feel the same way. Its pretty easy to figure out what people are talking about most of the time. What your talking about here can easily be mistakes. It is after all an informal community. Although, most appreciate a decent try at using punctuation and grammar correctly no one is perfect. Now if you want to talk about blatant misuse of words an not even trying to have decent spelling or text speak knock your socks off but minor stuff like this, don't sweat it.

I'm sure there are a million and a half grammatical errors in that post alone. Grammar is not my strong point.
  6. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    Um... yes, it is an informal community, does this mean when a word is consistently misused, we shouldn't be annoyed?

Sorry, I do get annoyed by it. I might not say a thing, but I roll my eyes, and if it happens all the time, I get irked. Typos are one thing, one time mistakes happen, but correcting constant misuse... how is that evil, and "geez, get over it"?

You will benefit from knowing the actual meaning of words, you know. And spelling them properly.

I am with Malfoy. And want to add, "loose" and "lose" are two different words. "Loose" means "not bolted down", "free from a fastening or attachment". Like, "She had some loose change jingling in her pocket." "Lose", on the other hand, is the word people mean to type, and it means "to come to be without something by accident", like "My keys are the last thing I'd wanna lose, so I make sure to always zip my pocket."

Proud spelling/meaning Nazi, yes I am.
  7. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    I totally get having pet peeves. Luckily, grammar isn't one of mine. So I'm sure I've been a culprit and I have had more than my share of grammatical errors. Seriously, if it weren't for spell check, my posts would be a sad sight.

Sorry these things bother you OP.
  8. heart broken
    heart broken
    WOW!!..... At the same im glad to see im not the only that cant sleep
    Jen2407 and Haley88 are the best wifeys

Haley88 is my divaness twin
  9. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHedgehog View Post
    Um... yes, it is an informal community, does this mean when a word is consistently misused, we shouldn't be annoyed?

Sorry, I do get annoyed by it. I might not say a thing, but I roll my eyes, and if it happens all the time, I get irked. Typos are one thing, one time mistakes happen, but correcting constant misuse... how is that evil, and "geez, get over it"?

You will benefit from knowing the actual meaning of words, you know. And spelling them properly.

I am with Malfoy. And want to add, "loose" and "lose" are two different words. "Loose" means "not bolted down", "free from a fastening or attachment". Like, "She had some loose change jingling in her pocket." "Lose", on the other hand, is the word people mean to type, and it means "to come to be without something by accident", like "My keys are the last thing I'd wanna lose, so I make sure to always zip my pocket."

Proud spelling/meaning Nazi, yes I am.
    All I'm saying is, when people post about how absurd it is that someone misuses a word or they spelled something wrong it rubs me the wrong way. Be annoyed with it, be annoyed with it until the moon falls out of the sky. Is there any reason to make a public event out of it?

I'm sorry that I don't always know where a comma goes and probably misuse words sometimes but posts like the OP seem belittling to me.

I know Malfoy's posting style and I know she is a very nice person and doesn't mean to hurt anyone by any means but if I didn't know her I would have probably taken her post to be hurtful. We don't know everyone story and people have gotten hurt on this board by people correcting others when done is a harsh way.

ETA-to make it clear Malfoy, you did NOT hurt my feelings at all and I still think of you the same as I did before.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    All I'm saying is, when people post about how absurd it is that someone misuses a word or they spelled something wrong it rubs me the wrong way. Be annoyed with it, be annoyed with it until the moon falls out of the sky. Is there any reason to make a public event out of it?

I'm sorry that I don't always know where a comma goes and probably misuse words sometimes but posts like the OP seem belittling to me.

I know Malfoy's posting style and I know she is a very nice person and doesn't mean to hurt anyone by any means but if I didn't know her I would have probably taken her post to be hurtful. We don't know everyone story and people have gotten hurt on this board by people correcting others when done is a harsh way.

ETA-to make it clear Malfoy, you did NOT hurt my feelings at all and I still think of you the same as I did before. L)

This post struck me as condescending, something I am sure Malfoy did not intend.

Perhaps the best approach, if one is particularly perturbed, is a private message? That way the poster receives the message and is able to reflect upon it, rather than feeling chastised.
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast