Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120

Thread: Stop it. (just a little PSA)

  1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Malfoy's Avatar
    Malfoy is offline
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    7,644
    Blog Entries
    1
    #1

    Stop it. (just a little PSA)

    Advertisements
    There are differences and you should know them because it really makes a difference in what you're saying.

    Examples:

    Defiantly does not equal definitely. Defiantly means you're doing something in a rebellious manner, you're boldly resisting. Definitely (the word you're actually trying to type, I believe) means a positive affirmation, an absolute yes.

    Also, definately is not a word.

    Another example:

    Apart and "a part" are also two separate thoughts. Apart means to be at a distance, whether that be space or time. To BE separated in purpose or pieces. "A part" means a piece of a whole.

    Also, SO means significant other, S/O means split off.


    That's all for now. Its late. I'm tired.





  2. Banned
    Lychee's Avatar
    Lychee is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15,327
    #2
    I get that there are differences, but maybe people should focus on content.

    Is the point solely to maintain correct speech/grammar/diction or to communicate?
  3. Senior Member
    Element02's Avatar
    Element02 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Fort Hood
    Posts
    595
    Blog Entries
    8
    #3
    Wow. I applaud you...but wow.
    I guess I just don't mind so much and I just try and figure out what someone is saying.
    "Love is just a chemical, we give it meaning by choice"---Eleanor Lamb (Bioshock2)
    " I feel like a part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything. Maybe we're from the same star." ---Emery Allen
  4. Account Closed
    AwwSnail's Avatar
    AwwSnail is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,407
    #4
    Geez....who cares!

    Typos, misused words, incorrect grammar and use of made up words happen; its a online community...get over it!
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Abbynormal's Avatar
    Abbynormal is offline
    Ummmmm...........
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,438
    Blog Entries
    1

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AwwSnail View Post
    Geez....who cares!

    Typos, misused words, incorrect grammar and use of made up words happen; its a online community...get over it!
    Kind of feel the same way. Its pretty easy to figure out what people are talking about most of the time. What your talking about here can easily be mistakes. It is after all an informal community. Although, most appreciate a decent try at using punctuation and grammar correctly no one is perfect. Now if you want to talk about blatant misuse of words an not even trying to have decent spelling or text speak knock your socks off but minor stuff like this, don't sweat it.

    I'm sure there are a million and a half grammatical errors in that post alone. Grammar is not my strong point.
  6. ...and carry a towel.
    Space Hedgehog's Avatar
    Space Hedgehog is offline
    ...and carry a towel.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,979
    #6
    Um... yes, it is an informal community, does this mean when a word is consistently misused, we shouldn't be annoyed?

    Sorry, I do get annoyed by it. I might not say a thing, but I roll my eyes, and if it happens all the time, I get irked. Typos are one thing, one time mistakes happen, but correcting constant misuse... how is that evil, and "geez, get over it"?

    You will benefit from knowing the actual meaning of words, you know. And spelling them properly.

    I am with Malfoy. And want to add, "loose" and "lose" are two different words. "Loose" means "not bolted down", "free from a fastening or attachment". Like, "She had some loose change jingling in her pocket." "Lose", on the other hand, is the word people mean to type, and it means "to come to be without something by accident", like "My keys are the last thing I'd wanna lose, so I make sure to always zip my pocket."

    Proud spelling/meaning Nazi, yes I am.
  7. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    LACY1020's Avatar
    LACY1020 is offline
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bragg
    Posts
    5,009
    #7
    I totally get having pet peeves. Luckily, grammar isn't one of mine. So I'm sure I've been a culprit and I have had more than my share of grammatical errors. Seriously, if it weren't for spell check, my posts would be a sad sight.

    Sorry these things bother you OP.
  8. heart broken
    proudarmygrlfrnd's Avatar
    proudarmygrlfrnd is offline
    heart broken
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Me: port orchard WA
    Posts
    1,277
    #8
    WOW!!..... At the same im glad to see im not the only that cant sleep
    Jen2407 and Haley88 are the best wifeys

    Haley88 is my divaness twin
  9. Ummmmm...........
    Abbynormal's Avatar
    Abbynormal is offline
    Ummmmm...........
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,438
    Blog Entries
    1

    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHedgehog View Post
    Um... yes, it is an informal community, does this mean when a word is consistently misused, we shouldn't be annoyed?

    Sorry, I do get annoyed by it. I might not say a thing, but I roll my eyes, and if it happens all the time, I get irked. Typos are one thing, one time mistakes happen, but correcting constant misuse... how is that evil, and "geez, get over it"?

    You will benefit from knowing the actual meaning of words, you know. And spelling them properly.

    I am with Malfoy. And want to add, "loose" and "lose" are two different words. "Loose" means "not bolted down", "free from a fastening or attachment". Like, "She had some loose change jingling in her pocket." "Lose", on the other hand, is the word people mean to type, and it means "to come to be without something by accident", like "My keys are the last thing I'd wanna lose, so I make sure to always zip my pocket."

    Proud spelling/meaning Nazi, yes I am.
    All I'm saying is, when people post about how absurd it is that someone misuses a word or they spelled something wrong it rubs me the wrong way. Be annoyed with it, be annoyed with it until the moon falls out of the sky. Is there any reason to make a public event out of it?

    I'm sorry that I don't always know where a comma goes and probably misuse words sometimes but posts like the OP seem belittling to me.

    I know Malfoy's posting style and I know she is a very nice person and doesn't mean to hurt anyone by any means but if I didn't know her I would have probably taken her post to be hurtful. We don't know everyone story and people have gotten hurt on this board by people correcting others when done is a harsh way.

    ETA-to make it clear Malfoy, you did NOT hurt my feelings at all and I still think of you the same as I did before.
  10. Banned
    Lychee's Avatar
    Lychee is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15,327
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    All I'm saying is, when people post about how absurd it is that someone misuses a word or they spelled something wrong it rubs me the wrong way. Be annoyed with it, be annoyed with it until the moon falls out of the sky. Is there any reason to make a public event out of it?

    I'm sorry that I don't always know where a comma goes and probably misuse words sometimes but posts like the OP seem belittling to me.

    I know Malfoy's posting style and I know she is a very nice person and doesn't mean to hurt anyone by any means but if I didn't know her I would have probably taken her post to be hurtful. We don't know everyone story and people have gotten hurt on this board by people correcting others when done is a harsh way.

    ETA-to make it clear Malfoy, you did NOT hurt my feelings at all and I still think of you the same as I did before. L)


    This post struck me as condescending, something I am sure Malfoy did not intend.

    Perhaps the best approach, if one is particularly perturbed, is a private message? That way the poster receives the message and is able to reflect upon it, rather than feeling chastised.
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •