Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosetta Stone?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Rosetta Stone?

Advertisements
    Has anyone used these to learn a new language? Did you like it? Or does anyone have other recommendations for teaching yourself a new language?

“It always seems impossible until it's done.”
    ― Nelson Mandela
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Chris just got it. I'm gonna use it to become fluent in spanish since I already know a lot and he wants to learn german or something. I used the demo before. It's definitely a good way of learning.
  3. Senior Member
    I have it for Spanish and I love it. After a month of doing a lesson every day, my Spanish improved tenfold. Even DH was impressed (his first language is Spanish)! I feel it's a great way to learn and love how they use pictures vs. translating it into English.

My friend has it for Japanese and after a year of it off and on, he's near fluent.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I want to brush up on my Spanish and German and would love to learn Japanese. I took French, German and Spanish in school. I learn that way, but it is so expensive. I tried to teach myself Japanese and Russian with books and cds, but wasn't very successful. The Rosetta Stone stuff is expensive, but not more expensive than paying for classes! I'm glad to hear they worked for you.

― Nelson Mandela
  5. Senior Member

I want it for Spanish. But I cannot afford

6. Banned
    Banned
    I always wonder when I see the boxes at Barnes and Noble. If you do try it out please inform as inquiring minds would like to know
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have a few used bookstores by me I have been I will definitely let you know how it goes! I can't buy myself anything until after Christmas though!

― Nelson Mandela
  8. Senior Member
    I bought it for Japanese and was very disappointed, especially given how friggin expensive it was!

Admitedly, maybe I gave up too soon, but I found it frustrating. I'd do a lesson and walk away knowing some new words, but not remembering what they meant. So I'd know words Ba, Bo, and Be, and I knew the lesson covered man, woman and boy, but I wouldn't know which word went with which definition.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I bought it for Japanese and was very disappointed, especially given how friggin expensive it was!

Admitedly, maybe I gave up too soon, but I found it frustrating. I'd do a lesson and walk away knowing some new words, but not remembering what they meant. So I'd know words Ba, Bo, and Be, and I knew the lesson covered man, woman and boy, but I wouldn't know which word went with which definition.
    How long did you stick with it? The problem I had teaching myself (which was the same case with Russian) is that the alphabet didn't really correlate to ours. Everything I bought started with that foundation and I wasn't getting it on my own.

― Nelson Mandela
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danik View Post
    How long did you stick with it? The problem I had teaching myself (which was the same case with Russian) is that the alphabet didn't really correlate to ours. Everything I bought started with that foundation and I wasn't getting it on my own.
    I'd say I probably put in maybe 15 hours? It was mostly doing the first unit over and over and over.

The words were so long, and that really threw me off. Memorizing a word with 5 syllables that make no sense at all to you is hard, or at least it was for me. It tok so much for my brain to just get those 5 syllables down that I was so focused on that, and I think I never learned the meanings.

For me, if I wanted to learn a romance language, I might consider Rosetta Stone again. But for learning a totally new, strange language, it isn't the right system for me. I do better with just flash cards (with the words written phonetically using the English alphabet) and memorizing key phrases I need to know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast